Athletic Department's Successes

We can probably assume that many employees of the Athletic Department, from top to bottom, read what we post here. I would therefore like to dedicate a thread to the positive improvements we are seeing as we begin a new academic and athletic year.

1. The soccer stadium drive coming to fruition ahead of schedule is great. Not only is a national contender being shown some love, but local donors have been effectively engaged in a somewhat major campus program.

2. The Roowards program is a great idea. It will undoubtedly involve more students in campus activities, put butts in the seats, create lifelong fans, and increase the overall game day atmosphere.

3. Giving Caleb Porter the support and facilities he needed to realize that the entire University, city, and alumni have the team’s back. Great job getting him to re-up.

4. Ensuring that the team shop in the info will be open for the season?

5. Doing a better job of marketing season tickets for football and soccer.

6. Getting an extra few games on TV via STO contract.

7. Keeping the tailgate atmosphere alive.

Keep it going…

Nice idea to send some love to the athletic dept! I am impressed with their commitment to moving the entire dept forward. That's damn hard to do, but TW has a plan and he is executing slowly but surely. In the times I have talked to him I have been impressed with his grasp of the issues and his assessment of what we can do about them. Needless to say, there will always be fans who take a contrary opinion. That doesn't bother me because I love their passion. They want the Zips to get better and sometimes assume things can easily be changed. Most of the time they can't. If they could they would have been changed earlier.

Akron has a lot to be proud of:

- Coach I is bringing strong leadership to the football program

- Soccer had an exhibition today and drew 2,835, we could be top five in attendence this year

- Tennis is a kick ass program now

- Womens soccer could crack top 25 this season

- Track and field is the best program in the state

- Womens basketball has a chance to rule the MAC (please tell me Kyle Baumgarter didn't transfer)

- KD has retooled basketball with the potential to be a dominant mid major

- Our facilities tell the world we have lofty aspirations and our President will demand we get there

If that doesn't get you pumped up you need to go to Can't and prepare for a slow death. :screwks:

I don't think it's too patronizing to thank the athletics staff for giving us a lot to believe in. :wave:

UA should host a "State of UA Athletics" banquet. Open to any and all Zips fans. It'd be a good fund raiser. I'd attend. I'd just like to hear a yearly summary from the Director of Athletics of where we've been and, most importantly, where we are going and what our plan is to get there. Goals, philosophies, perceived weaknesses, perceived strengths. No pressure; just real honest and personal with true Zips supporters who all have the Zips' well-being in mind.

By the way, I love my new soccer jersey! Barnes & Noble has a very nice selection of Zips gear and I very much look forward to perusing the new Info Team Shop!

Go Zips!

Nice idea to send some love to the athletic dept! I am impressed with their commitment to moving the entire dept forward. That's damn hard to do, but TW has a plan and he is executing slowly but surely. In the times I have talked to him I have been impressed with his grasp of the issues and his assessment of what we can do about them. Needless to say, there will always be fans who take a contrary opinion. That doesn't bother me because I love their passion. They want the Zips to get better and sometimes assume things can easily be changed. Most of the time they can't. If they could they would have been changed earlier.

- Soccer had an exhibition today and drew 2,835, we could be top five in attendence this year

- Womens basketball has a chance to rule the MAC (please tell me Kyle Baumgarter didn't transfer)

- Our facilities tell the world we have lofty aspirations and our President will demand we get there

If that doesn't get you pumped up you need to go to Can't and prepare for a slow death. :screwks:

I don't think it's too patronizing to thank the athletics staff for giving us a lot to believe in. :wave:

I hope so, but I think we might be just a liiiiiittle bit slim on data to agree or disagree with you right now. :)

On this board, the guy is either going to be a hero, or the subject of much ridicule, in the posts we'll see on this date in 2013 or 2014

I heard it was just a rumor...I've seen her on campus in the past week, and it doesn't make much sense to walk-on at Toledo when you have AT LEAST a scholarship at Akron, if not, then a full ride...

I was holding my breath too, but it looks like it's gonna be a very great year B)

I agree with all what is said above and i add:

I like the additional video dimension. Have you seen the youtube clips at the ends of gozips.com story about the VCU soccer game. I would like to see those clips with each soccer, football and basketball story.

TW is very personnable and always has time to listen to what fans have to say. Seeing his family docked in Blue and Gold at events doesn't hurt either.

Don't forget two individual National Champions in the past 2 years. One in Rifle and one in Track.

I heard it was just a rumor...I've seen her on campus in the past week, and it doesn't make much sense to walk-on at Toledo when you have AT LEAST a scholarship at Akron, if not, then a full ride...

I was holding my breath too, but it looks like it's gonna be a very great year B)

MES102, I checked the roster on the Women's Basketball site and she is not listed. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. She seemed to be the center we needed to build a team around. With her I think we have a hell of a team. I hope this is miscommunication or something. I hope she stays a Zip. Thanks for your info.

Funny you mention tennis, since Coach Wyshner is starting his new job at Wake Forest on Monday.

Funny you mention tennis, since Coach Wyshner is starting his new job at Wake Forest on Monday.

I didn't know he had left. Damn! He was great for the program.

He is still listed as Akron's coach, but here is the confirmation:

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/w-.../082710aab.html

I do expect that some out of successful coaches but we are also lucky to have some pretty loyal guys in Dambrot, Mitchell and Porter.

I do expect that some out of successful coaches but we are also lucky to have some pretty loyal guys in Dambrot, Mitchell and Porter.

You forgot a girl named Coach Kest.

Didn't forget her, just waiting to see what the success/loyalty factor is with her. She basically had one good year, if she has another does she stick around?

Didn't forget her, just waiting to see what the success/loyalty factor is with her. She basically had one good year, if she has another does she stick around?

Why don't you ask Mack Rhodes down in Houston?