Worst Fans in the NCAA

mes102

There was a minute and a half left in the game, we have ball...the rowdies try chanting "stand up"... no one did it...we miss the shot, and then CSU scores...

Some of you think that the soccer and basketball teams aren`t playing with a killer instinct...i wonder why...they have NO motivation because fans like we had in the reserved sections DID NOT stand up for the most important/crucial part of the game...this was on STO and the fans did not do their part....if this keeps happening, Can't will beat us twice again this year and so will ohio...and soccer will lose this weekend to Indiana...

Sure, Dambrot will say in the postgame that the atmosphere is great...but he HAS to say that...or you fans will boycott and not come...

If the atmosphere never changes, by doing the simple things to keep this team motivated, then all this program will be is what it is now...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with you. Even after chanting "stand up" the people in the lower sections just looked at us in disgust. It's like their hard plastic seats were too comfortable to cheer for and support our boys. I say I don't want your money if you aren't going to support our team. Go ahead and jump on the bandwagon just like OSU fans. Let's just go to the game because it's a social thing.

Screw that!!!! If you are going to come to the games you better cheer! On another note, the rowdies that were there are the only real fans there. Not the hundreds that only go to big games because we are doing well. I think our rowdies deserve some recognition that actually are ALWAYS there.

Also, can't our band play something other than non-exciting high school music? We need something to pump us up, not put us to sleep.

Let's get some REAL FANS to the game. Let's STAND UP AND CHEER! I don't want any more of these fairweather fans that won't get off their a**es to root for their team.

Show some freaking pride for once and root for our boys, they need it! :mad_flame:

I stand and shout the entire game (usually). Often told to sit down or shut up or both.

Pained me to watch the Zips play defense. Which to the delight of Gary Waters, the Zips never did.

Check the stat sheet for steals and turnovers. Make you puke.

And to the AK-Howdie that was saying "M-F": you ass.

There was a minute and a half left in the game, we have ball...the rowdies try chanting "stand up"... no one did it...we miss the shot, and then CSU scores...

Some of you think that the soccer and basketball teams aren`t playing with a killer instinct...i wonder why...they have NO motivation because fans like we had in the reserved sections DID NOT stand up for the most important/crucial part of the game...this was on STO and the fans did not do their part....if this keeps happening, Can't will beat us twice again this year and so will ohio...and soccer will lose this weekend to Indiana...

Sure, Dambrot will say in the postgame that the atmosphere is great...but he HAS to say that...or you fans will boycott and not come...

If the atmosphere never changes, by doing the simple things to keep this team motivated, then all this program will be is what it is now...

I didn't notice the fans letting CSU's guards drive around them for a dozen or so layups. Must have happened while I was in the restroom.

It's a two-way street. The players have to give the fans some reason to hope that standing up and making noise is going to make a difference. It wouldn't have mattered tonight if every Zips fan stood on their feet and screamed their guts out the whole game. The Zips were not prepared to play as well as CSU tonight, and many of the fans could tell the writing was on the wall.

I don't mind coming home hoarse and sweaty from jumping up and down and screaming when I think it will help make a difference. Tonight I came home with a sore neck from shaking my head from side to side at one poor play after another.

This was not a good game to try to pin a guilt trip on passive fans.

It's a two-way street. The players have to give the fans some reason to hope that standing up and making noise is going to make a difference. It wouldn't have mattered tonight if every Zips fan stood on their feet and screamed their guts out the whole game. The Zips were not prepared to play as well as CSU tonight, and many of the fans could tell the writing was on the wall.

I don't mind coming home hoarse and sweaty from jumping up and down and screaming when I think it will help make a difference. Tonight I came home with a sore neck from shaking my head from side to side at one poor play after another.

Dave in Green,

After watching the game online, I noticed one thing: people did not care (at least it looked like that when I watched the game online). Is it to a point that if it is not Cant State, no one gives a Smeg about what goes on with Akron sports!?

There is no excuse for the piss-poor play(sugar coat it all you want, but that is what it is), however sitting here at my CPU in Phoenix, you must have home support if you are there.

The street is 2 ways, but it starts with the fans...teams that go on the road LOVE it when the crowd is quiet...why do you think that CSU was making most of their shots in the second half...and it`s hard for a team to be motivated from the beginning WHICH WILL CHANGE THEIR ATTITUDE AND THE WAY THEY PLAY THE GAME...Defense is all effort and hustle...which means they need motivated...i know that since im on a high school coaching staff for basketball this year...

Football is going for perfection of losing, Men`s basketball is always going to stay the same, and the only sport that has gone to the next level is soccer.

The fans that show up for soccer are loud and are knowledgable on when to cheer/yell/shout...what does basketball and football have in common, but not soccer? this exactly...

Is this a coincidence? u tell me...

you don't know that it won't make a difference. Fair weather fans don't make a difference, die hard fans do. The 6th man is REAL... if more people believed in our team, it does give them an upper edge. Look at our soccer team, they love when we are loud and crazy for them. Coach Porter tells us that WE make a difference. What about the Cant game a few years ago, when Willy (MC) got us all pumped up. You can't say that it didn't make a difference.

Well, at least I think we can all agree that tonight's attendance was pathetic. I know I'm merely preaching to the choir on this message board, but attendance of a whopping 2,716 at a school of roughly 30,000 students, for a premiere mid major match up like this? You've got to be kidding me. The student body's support of this team is a freaking joke.

I was about to start a topic on the same exact thing. It really is pathetic that no one seems to care. I mean dear lord, you come to the game for a reason, to cheer your Zips on to victory. Fans did not do that at all today. Its not much of a home field advantage when the other team brings fans that are louder than the zips fans. And then when people leave at the end of the game when the games on the line, just ridiculous. If you leave a basketball game that is close with 2 mins remaining, then you are an absolute moron

Its not much of a home field advantage when the other team brings fans that are louder than the zips fans. And then when people leave at the end of the game when the games on the line, just ridiculous. If you leave a basketball game that is close with 2 mins remaining, then you are an absolute moron

That is my point. Other than Soccer, do anybody care about the other sports around campus?

Due to the fact that I brought some cousins who were in town for the holiday, I ended up sitting in GA instead of the student section. It really is a lousy atmosphere up there. You want to stand up and be loud, but it almost seems like that is frowned upon. I was standing for that possession where the Rowdies were chanting stand up.

One thing that I think hurts fan participation is that due to the split student section, both sides are chanting different things. That makes it difficult to get any sort of cheer going that the fans would be able to join in on.

I went to college a long time ago many miles from Akron. I went to every home basketball game and many away games. We packed the place with students and screamed our guts out all game long. We students never thought to criticize the older, non-students who were much more passive. We didn't need them to join in because we students rocked the joint all by ourselves.

UA's problem is not the more reserved older folks who pay good money to be entertained by good basketball. UA's problem is a lack of student support and enthusiasm. UA has more than four times the number of students as the college I attended, but we turned out more students at our home games than UA.

Maybe the more reserved older fans at Zips games stand out because there is such a high percentage of them compared to students. Whose fault is that? We never had that problem at my school.

The focus should be on filling all the student seats with rabid, screaming students. If you do, I can assure you from personal experience that you will not have to worry about any lack of noise. If you don't, complaining about the passivity of older fans will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Well, at least I think we can all agree that tonight's attendance was pathetic. I know I'm merely preaching to the choir on this message board, but attendance of a whopping 2,716 at a school of roughly 30,000 students, for a premiere mid major match up like this? You've got to be kidding me. The student body's support of this team is a freaking joke.

You've hit the nail right on the head, Dave. Good post.

I'm a diehard Zips fan, but I just don't know what to do. We always play like A-KRAP, especially when its a decent or good team.

I was in the Rowdies cheering stand up, too, but that was a moment of which maybe some more noise would have helped. I'm not going to blame the fans for sitting because every time they go to stand, either a timeout is called, or the opposing team shuts them up. A-krap can never sustain a momentum swing in favor of themselves. It's quite pathetic. I truly hope the talk about those two guys, who are ineligible this year, are the real deal and are ACTUAL athletes. Akron won't make it anywhere unless they somehow find athletes that can play like Norris Cole and Chris Wright. Norris Cole DUNKED ON ZEKE! Zeke didn't really foul him, but that dunk deserved a foul. This is truly embarrassing and I am not going to put anything on the fans until the product on the court doesn't smell like the product in a toilet. :puke:

Any more than one is embarrassing. The MAC is a joke on many levels and especially in terms of alumni/fan support.

I watched on TV tonight with family who are also alums. The comment from others down the stretch, "typical Zips."

We are a good team but didn't come to play tonight. We were pathetically soft around the rim on both sides of the ball especially in the second half. Fortunately, KD's teams improve throughout the season and finish strong (except for last season's CBI).

If you think Akron has the worst fans in the NCAA, you have extremely limited knowledge of NCAA fanbases.

Heck, in the MAC, how many schools have better fans? Two? Maybe three?

The street is 2 ways, but it starts with the fans...teams that go on the road LOVE it when the crowd is quiet...why do you think that CSU was making most of their shots in the second half...and it`s hard for a team to be motivated from the beginning WHICH WILL CHANGE THEIR ATTITUDE AND THE WAY THEY PLAY THE GAME...Defense is all effort and hustle...which means they need motivated...i know that since im on a high school coaching staff for basketball this year...

Football is going for perfection of losing, Men`s basketball is always going to stay the same, and the only sport that has gone to the next level is soccer.

The fans that show up for soccer are loud and are knowledgable on when to cheer/yell/shout...what does basketball and football have in common, but not soccer? this exactly...

Is this a coincidence? u tell me...

Well... now we know what's been holding back UA athletics all these years. It's us-- the fans. All 8000 of us.

It's not the yearly choke jobs by the Basketball or Football teams. Nope.

Afterall, it's the fans that have created the success the soccer team is enjoying right now.

Not the fact that they win consistently. Not the fact the wins are over recognizable national names..

The only reason fans show up now (all 2,000-4,000) is because they play and have success against the "name" schools. OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame etc. As long as they continue to win, support continues. Tell me what happens should they finish .500 next season? Back to playing in front of friends and family....

For the record: Fans didn't start showing up for soccer until the last couple of seasons -- when they played deep into the NCAA's or for a national title. They've been good for nearly 30 years -- When I was in school in the mid '80s. Nobody cared then. Even when they played Duke for the title in '86 there was barely a blip on campus.

Sheesh...

My favorite Non-Sequitors:

"Build it and they will come" Infocision and Football

"Show up at games and they will win (or at least play harder/better)" Ignorant Zips Fans with no clue

The truth:

"Win consistantly against name opponents and then they will come and you can build it."

Examples: Butler, Gonzaga, TCU, Boise State,

"Lose to CSU or Arkansas Pine Tree and beat Milliken, then don't be surprised when nobody cares."

Fine. You old farts can sit around with one thumb in your mouth and the other up your ass. I'll continue to yell and scream and jump up and down.

When the team does win a close one, which one of us will the players thank for inspiring them to play as hard as they can? Who will they say reminded them that there's still hope and that there are people out there who believe in them? That there's something worth playing for? It won't be the person who sat there, silent and thinking there's no point because they'll blow it like usual.

Did you guys even watch Coach Porter's video on the jumbotron?? He bought thousands of dollars worth of tickets out of his own pocket for the students because he believes they make a difference when it comes to inspiring his players. so yes, the fans do make a difference, according to the biggest winner on campus. It works both ways, of course, but it is also subject to a snowball effect. A few noisy fans can inspire the players to be better, which means more fans cheering, and it spirals.

But in the JAR, the environment is oppressive when it comes to making sound. If the band was up top, they could break that silence. And if the students were allowed to be along a unified side section things would be better. You have no idea how frustrating it is to want to be intense and loud, only to have our own team trying to score in front of you. You feel counterproductive, and that takes half the students out of the game at any given time. On the sides, that's not a problem.

When I would coach( or even back when i played organized ball), the opposing team would be up by anywhere from 8-20 points and we would call a timeout and then tell them what they need to do...and you know what happened on the way back out to the court...THE FANS MADE NOISE TO GET THEM GOING...about 7 out of 10 times, we came back and made it a game...we didn't win those 7 out of 10 times, but we made it a game with the noise even though being down by anywhere of 10-20...Tonight when we were down by 12 or more, and if it wasn;t for the band, we would of been able to hear the players in the huddle...heck...i think we did after the band stopped for the start of play.

It's sad when i heard the same amount of noise as the women's basketball game on sunday. It did. Plain and simple.

So let me get this straight...you all say it's because the team plays awful and you should wait for a better producy on the floor? the roblem is....THAT'S THE MOMENT WHEN THE TEAM NEEDS YOU THE MOST!!!!!! I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Also, no more talk about the 80's and 90's...im a traditionalist, so obviously the whole LBJ teaming up in Miami did not follow suit for my philosophies; however, this is a new generation and things change from generation to generation...

I couldn't agree more with you guys on the fans influencing the game.

Having played high school/college athletics i can tell you that there is nothing like having your home crowd loud and behind you. This holds especially true after you just made a big play to swing back the momentum or just came out of a less of momentum. Nothing works at pumping you up better than hearing people go nuts.

I just dont get how people around here attend college basketball games and just stay quiet. It's COLLEGE BASKETBALL! There is nothing like it in the world, it's supposed to be crazy, loud, and intimidating for opponents, we really need to get that memo.

I will say however that the Rowdies brought it much better tonight. After that embarrassment that was the soccer game last Sunday, they finally redeemed themselves. Glad they realized it's not about singing like hippies but about heckling, screaming, and being obnoxious. THAT'S what college athletics are about. *applause*

Now the rest of you: Have some fun (have a few pre-game beers at BH, 69 Taps, BW3, Thursdays...etc. if you have to) and get loud and nuts with the Rowdies!

ASN hoops coverage

Last week at the YSU game when we were starting to come back, after a big play would happen, I remember Nik standing in the middle of the court yelling and waving his arms in an upward motion. I don't think he did this for no reason.

After the MAC tournament win over Western Michigan I had the opportunity to talk to Coach Porter at Tap House and he said to me and a few of the guys on the ROWDIES board that "we need all of you guys there if we're going to win this thing. We need that place packed with ROWDIES." I don't think he said this for no reason.

I have seen a player ask for more fan support and I have heard a coach ask for more fan support. Obviously it means something to them. Yeah I really don't think that more loud fans would have us at 11-0 this football season, but I think for those close games it must make the difference, or else the players/coaches would not be requesting our help. The JAR sucks for students. If you're not part of the group that gets on the floor I imagine you don't feel as engaged, but that's really not a great excuse either. And the fans in the reserved seats...yeah they seem to be not even aware of what is going on. At the YSU I was screaming looking straight into the stands motioning for people to stand up and they just looked at me like I was a golden flush or something.

I tend to agree with DIG on this one. Good for the students there being passionate. But maybe misplaced.

How about taking that passion and chanting outside of our AD's office. "Get Students to the Game....Get Students to the Game...."

We simply need more students to attend to gain a home court advantage. We can't even fill the two small sections behind the hoops. :(

I was watching the game at Panini's in Sagamore. They must have 20 TV's in that place. Every tv was on the Cavs game or the Heat game.

Not a soul was watching either game. I had them turn the Akron game on in the corner and got a decent crowd watching with me.

Crowd favorite...student with the Stormtrooper helmet on. Now we need 500 more of him. Trust me, every fan that posts here wants a loud

home court advantage, but it needs to start with the students. Check out some other schools, I have seen it work.