Worst Fans in the NCAA

mes102

I'm going to sound like a complete prick here, but I'm going to offer up the honest truth about the Rowdies.

When the AK-Rowdies started, it was a club...it was just a name for students in that section, and it worked. The number of students sitting down low grew, they were all into the game, and things were great. Then they started doing too much...let me explain.

It was around that time that students were required to go to meetings. These meetings were held in a JAR classroom, where you were forced to practice corny chants (more on this later) in exchange for a lower bowl ticket. At games, students without the official "AK-Rowdies" shirt weren't allowed down low, even when many seats were open.

A huge mistake had been made - exclusivity was placed on something that wasn't in that high of demand - the lower seats. Most students chose to simply sit in the GA. Many, like myself, moved from down low to up top when friends weren't allowed down low because they didn't come to the all-important meetings. The mandatory meetings were eventually killed, but it was too late...they had insulted a large number of Akron students, many of whom realized that sitting in the GA wasn't so bad. Those students never came back.

Following this, a select few people took control of the cheering in the student section. There's big headband guy. The WWF belt guys. Gold blazer-wearing guy. Skinny and small body-painting guy. Last but not least, fat speedo guy.

Here's where I'm going to sound like a prick...and I know this is mean...but have you ever looked at those guys? Have you ever seen the way they act? Is that really a group you would want to be a part of? Do you know how many texts I get from people at other schools making fun of what they term the "AK-Nerdies"?

I know...it's superficial...it's judgmental...and it's downright mean...but it's true. The AK-Rowdies mainstays are a motley crew of misfits. And if you don't do exactly what they do - like one of their corny (and most of the time stolen) chants - they start yelling at you for not being a good fan.

There's a lot of people that realize this and feel this way...everyone just feels bad saying it. Heck, I will fully admit that I wouldn't say it without the anonymity this forum provides. But it's the truth, and it's why - in the near future anyway - you're going to continue to see half-full student sections for all non-Can't games.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best things about Zips Basketball Games:

1. The winning tradition that Dambrot has brought.

2. The Pep Band.

3. The Students.

Simple things needed to improve the atmosphere:

1. A program that allows season ticket holders to re-sell their tickets that are not going to be used, so we don't have to look at all of those blue seats.

2. Bring back Willy or someone similar, so we can get some energy in the gym.

3. Lower the ticket prices, so the casual fan shows up and buys food, drinks and gear. Generate some income.

4. Friendlier ushers. I forgot something in my lower bowl seat after the game and the usher would not let me back in the door that I just walked out. 15 years as a season ticket holder...Nice.

5. More promotions for students. When we have students attending, the games have such a better feel.

UAZip0510, interesting take on the Rowdies. If I had been put in your position when I was in college, I'd have done the same thing you did. We didn't have a group like that where I went to college. We didn't need it. Most of the students were very much into the basketball games, and we all made ourselves heard.

We didn't need special uniforms or practiced chants. We were all naturally loud and enthusiastic. If a few people started a chant of some kind, we just all automatically joined in whatever the chant was. We created a heck of an atmosphere at our little basketball arena, which made the JAR look like a palace.

We had a little snake pit gym, and we didn't know any better to hope for a better facility. We just all loved basketball and our basketball team, and we weren't shy about letting everyone know it. We didn't all sit together in one location, either. We were scattered all over. But there were enough of us, and we were noisy enough that everyone knew we were there.

Someone from the marketing department must at least occasionally read threads on Zipsnation. For the first time all season, the yellow car finally won the Sheetz remote control car race promo. The red car was undefeated, because every time the yellow car got to the cones, it went out of control and drove in circles. Game after game, it became obvious to anyone paying attention, that there was something wrong with the yellow car. It became a running joke in my seating section and here on ZNo. Why is this important you may ask? Its important because it points out the lack of professionalism by the athletic department and the people who run the events at the JAR. Just like CK points out, its not one thing that makes people hesitant to come to a Zips game, but a whole bunch of little things. An overall lack of attention to detail makes the game experience less than it could be. A paid master of ceremonies or cheerleader would be a good idea. I loved it when the Pep band director took things into his own hands to get the crowd pumped up Saturday night. He did the same thing at the football games this season with the roving pep band. Maybe they could get him to fill the position.

Why do we have to assume they fixed the car? Until someone else does wins with the yellow car, I think that we should give credit to my incredible driving abilities! :D Heck, I consider myself part of history as being the first person to ever win with the yellow car! :lol:

I'm going to sound like a complete prick here, but I'm going to offer up the honest truth about the Rowdies.

When the AK-Rowdies started, it was a club...it was just a name for students in that section, and it worked. The number of students sitting down low grew, they were all into the game, and things were great. Then they started doing too much...let me explain.

It was around that time that students were required to go to meetings. These meetings were held in a JAR classroom, where you were forced to practice corny chants (more on this later) in exchange for a lower bowl ticket. At games, students without the official "AK-Rowdies" shirt weren't allowed down low, even when many seats were open.

A huge mistake had been made - exclusivity was placed on something that wasn't in that high of demand - the lower seats. Most students chose to simply sit in the GA. Many, like myself, moved from down low to up top when friends weren't allowed down low because they didn't come to the all-important meetings. The mandatory meetings were eventually killed, but it was too late...they had insulted a large number of Akron students, many of whom realized that sitting in the GA wasn't so bad. Those students never came back.

Following this, a select few people took control of the cheering in the student section. There's big headband guy. The WWF belt guys. Gold blazer-wearing guy. Skinny and small body-painting guy. Last but not least, fat speedo guy.

Here's where I'm going to sound like a prick...and I know this is mean...but have you ever looked at those guys? Have you ever seen the way they act? Is that really a group you would want to be a part of? Do you know how many texts I get from people at other schools making fun of what they term the "AK-Nerdies"?

I know...it's superficial...it's judgmental...and it's downright mean...but it's true. The AK-Rowdies mainstays are a motley crew of misfits. And if you don't do exactly what they do - like one of their corny (and most of the time stolen) chants - they start yelling at you for not being a good fan.

There's a lot of people that realize this and feel this way...everyone just feels bad saying it. Heck, I will fully admit that I wouldn't say it without the anonymity this forum provides. But it's the truth, and it's why - in the near future anyway - you're going to continue to see half-full student sections for all non-Can't games.

Come to the north end, we are very welcoming....but extremely mean to our opponents. We also encourage acting like a real college bball fan and jumping up and down after big baskets/momentum swings and yelling like you're supposed to. There may be only about 8-10 of us but we wont turn you away for not chanting, just for sitting down and not being interested.

Seriously, bring your friends to the north, ill personally make sure you get a pass to get down. And yes, I'm a Rowdy (since year one), but i only got the shirt so i could sit down low. This year i didn't even buy it until the Can't game because i didnt want to look out of place being the only one without it.

UAZip0510, interesting take on the Rowdies. If I had been put in your position when I was in college, I'd have done the same thing you did. We didn't have a group like that where I went to college. We didn't need it. Most of the students were very much into the basketball games, and we all made ourselves heard.

We didn't need special uniforms or practiced chants. We were all naturally loud and enthusiastic. If a few people started a chant of some kind, we just all automatically joined in whatever the chant was. We created a heck of an atmosphere at our little basketball arena, which made the JAR look like a palace.

We had a little snake pit gym, and we didn't know any better to hope for a better facility. We just all loved basketball and our basketball team, and we weren't shy about letting everyone know it. We didn't all sit together in one location, either. We were scattered all over. But there were enough of us, and we were noisy enough that everyone knew we were there.

Dave, I remember it the same way. We may have been in school at the same time. I even got to enjoy the first couple of years in the JAR as a student, and that atmosphere continued.

I've said this many times. The people of my era would have given anything to sit on the floor. Instead, we got into the game from the upper bleachers, and generated a lot more noise in that place than there is now.

I'm also dissapointed to hear that there is dissent among students that has possibly kept this current generation of Zips student supporters from reaching their potential. If most see the current state of the "club" as something that is not fun to be a part of, for whatever reason, that's too bad. But understandable.

i agree 100%. It sounds mean, but when my friends think of the rowdies, they don't see them as people they want to be associated with, so i can't talk them into sitting down low. Don't know how to fix it, but it is what is.

i agree 100%. It sounds mean, but when my friends think of the rowdies, they don't see them as people they want to be associated with, so i can't talk them into sitting down low. Don't know how to fix it, but it is what is.

Bring them to the north side. All we do is yell at the refs, make noise, and tell jokes. And talk Zips athletics.

These people will stand up and cheer if you light a fire under them.

A few minutes later our director took it upon himself to walk out along the sideline, cowbell in hand, and essentially force the lower section to stand up and cheer. Yeah this is the same band director who a few months ago drew this comment (yeah I dug it up): "The overly aggressive band leader seems to think the game is about him"

Kudos to everyone who actually participates in supporting our team

I noticed the band director out there with the cowbell. I loved it. I'm convinced that majority of people sit on their hands because everybody else does. It's that crowd mentality, "Well, I don't want to look silly being the only one to stand up and cheer..." This is another reason I believe a layout change at the JAR would benefit the overall gameday experience.

If we had even one sideline section for students, and it was packed and loud and standing the entire game, I think it'd have at least a small effect on the rest of the crowd in the lower bowl. Again though, we're stuck with the Chicken and egg effect...students have to show support before the university would ever consider reconfiguring.

Years ago when I attended games in Memorial Hall one section was for the Bleacher Bums. They didn't care what anyone said or felt. They did their own thing and were loved by everyone in the crowd. Their experience may lend some credance to what you propose for a student only section. It worked then. Under Wyatt Webb we had some very exciting games that made you proud to be there.

Someone from the marketing department must at least occasionally read threads on Zipsnation. For the first time all season, the yellow car finally won the Sheetz remote control car race promo. The red car was undefeated, because every time the yellow car got to the cones, it went out of control and drove in circles. Game after game, it became obvious to anyone paying attention, that there was something wrong with the yellow car. It became a running joke in my seating section and here on ZNo. Why is this important you may ask? Its important because it points out the lack of professionalism by the athletic department and the people who run the events at the JAR. Just like CK points out, its not one thing that makes people hesitant to come to a Zips game, but a whole bunch of little things. An overall lack of attention to detail makes the game experience less than it could be. A paid master of ceremonies or cheerleader would be a good idea. I loved it when the Pep band director took things into his own hands to get the crowd pumped up Saturday night. He did the same thing at the football games this season with the roving pep band. Maybe they could get him to fill the position.
This is ultimately the responsibility of the AD. He needs a marketing dept that wants to make a difference or he needs to find one and replace the current one. You are right. There are many simple things that can be done to improve the fan experience that will have a big effect on attendence. You can always do something to improve any situations. We are not victims. We need to think that we can be accountable for bettering the situation. Once you accept that mindset you can do anything. Are you listening marketing , TW?

This year the attendance at all of the Akron sports is down. I remember last year soccer had a couple of sell outs and this year with a better team I don't remember any sell outs and the attendance seemed to be down.

The football team attendance was a fiasco. I went to 2 games and have never been so disappointed at the product that was on the field. It certainly didn't help the athletic program when the primary sport with a new stadium was getting blown out at home. I believe that many fans felt the same way and wonder if this disappointment carried over to the attendance for the basketball team.

The attendance at the basketball games is certainly disappointing. I expected a better crowd at the Creighton game. The team is winning and playing good basketball. I liked the band leader getting the fans off their feet because it was spontaneous. I personally do not like someone getting paid to lead the crowd to cheer for the team. That should come from the game, the players, the fans, the coach and the bandleader and his cow bell.

I'm a nerd yaaay ha ha jk but heres something to point out UAZIP0510 all of the guys you just mentioned (including myself and thanks ha ha) all but 1 is gone.

Big Headband Guy (myself lol) Work for Dinsey in Florida (Come see me at Epcot folks)

Willy: Gone, works for JCU

WWF Title Guys: 1 Graduated, the other is really really close to graduating and they actually sit in the blue seats now

Gold Blazer Guy: Shows up occasionally to big games at the JAR bc he loves UA athletics that much, but actually is a teacher (yes he can teach our youth)

Painting guy: Hasn't showed up to a bball game this season in the paint

Finally Fat Speedo Guy: Umm well the Speedo was out during Soccer, thankfully hasn't showed up during bball season, but i cant guarantee anything bc the women play BG on Tuesday Night (God help us all)

Heres my point after I gave you a Sports Illustrated issue of "Where are they at Now" No matter where you go, no matter what university, college, ect You will have these characters. From the people that dress up in the blue man outfits at Duke, to the Jeff Boals look alike guys at OSU, all the way to the guy at Utah State who puts me to shame because he dresses up as Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast. We all have 1 think in common, and that is we have pride and love for our university. Isnt that was college is about, having fun, enjoying your time, meeting friends that you will have for the rest of your life! (and of course grades) Hell if someone wants to make fun of me, call me an AK-NERDIE or whatever, im ok with that, why because I was having fun. I was enjoying my time in college and im ok with that. Everyone is different, everyone enjoys college differently, for myself its Zips Athletics. (And yes Ive ben watching the games from down here in Florida)

Here I will put this full circle now so watch this, as I said before all but 1 of us are mostly gone (gold coat occasionally) we have our fun, we attend our games and we move on with our lives and root for our Zips where ever we are at. Do I love the ROWDIES yeah, when ur the president of them you kinda got to, but at the same time will it get me somewhere in life no. I did my time, got an opportunity and went with it. When i come back will i be in charge nope, will i attend games yeah, will I be as vocal as I was before I left not sure on that one. All of the faces of the ROWDIES are gone, someone even someones new needs to step in and take that role. As goofey as it may look on TV its part of every Student Section.

Finally i will say this, UAZIP0510 did you sound like a prick, no you are fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that was yours. Have a good one folks

If you don't feel comfortable on the South side bleachers, come over to the north side bleachers...i agree with you h.a.rowdie, we even had people in santa claus suits, soccer heads, etc.

No one can stay in college forever(unless you're a professor, coach, or president of the university obviously), but you should always have that passion for your school. I haven't been able to go to many games this fall/winter due to coaching, but I tape all the basketball games that are televised, and if im able to get out of practice early enough, i come for the second half of the games. If you have the passion and pride for your school, you will have passion and pride for the rest of your life in whatever you do with your life. But if not, we can;t give it to you. Only yourself can do that....