BracketBusters Opponent

GJGood

It's that time of year again where we not only have national signing day approaching in football but also the announcement of the Bracketbusters games.

So, does anybody have any predictions on who we may see in the JAR the third weekend in February? Who would everybody most want to see the Zips matched up with?

I'm hoping Missouri Valley Conference... Missouri State would be GREAT. That's just a pipe dream, but it would be really awesome to get a nice opponent like that into the JAR and give the Zips a final shot at a good win this season. Well, if the Zips can get on a tear we might have a shot at someone somewhat decent, Vermont or Iona maybe? Well, wins against higher ranked Miami and Ball State would give our rpi some needed elevation as things stand currently... :mad_flame:

We're at home. The bracketbuster likes to match up top participating teams by RPI and the rest by location. We won't be paired with a MAC school or a school we have already played this season, or VCU because that's who we played last year.

Here are the possible opponents and their current RPI (will obviously change before the pairs are announced, but should at least be in the same general vicinity). Our RPI will likely be slightly above 100 at the time the selections are made.

29 Cleveland State

33 Missouri State

48 Utah State

50 George Mason

69 Vermont

73 VCU

83 Miami OH

85 Iona

90 Can't State

93 Ball State

94 Hofstra

97 Austin Peay

109 Morehead State

112 Creighton

123 St. Peters

131 Delaware

132 Pacific

136 Davidson

137 Montana

139 Milwaukee

145 Northern Colorado

150 Boise State

155 Northern Arizona

156 Evansville

159 Green Bay

166 Detroit

168 Delaware State

180 Ohio

181 Weber State

183 Northeastern

188 Idaho

204 Maine

210 Appalachian State

211 Georgia State

212 Loyola Md.

215 UC Riverside

218 Charleston Southern

222 Canisius

235 Illinois State

248 Hawaii

251 New Hampshire

159 Loyola Marymount

265 Bradley

266 VMI

274 Bowling Green

279 Gardner-Webb

284 CS-Fullerton

286 UC-Irvine

292 Eastern Kentucky

293 Central Michigan

296 Manhattan

302 Eastern Illinois

304 Seattle

307 Radford

314 CS-Northridge

343 Jacksonville State

344 Sacramento State

We will probably not get a TV game. However, Zeke's presence and Dambrot's TV-friendly LeBron connection could be enough to get one with a little luck. The top 11 games get a TV spot, and we're currently #11 in terms of RPI for home teams. That loss to OU hurt big time, and we must win out until the selections are announced to stay in contention.

We will likely get Vermont, Iona, Hofstra, Austin Peay, Morehead State, Creighton, or St Peters. Maybe Milwaukee or Evansville on the low end. Anybody lower than that and we're getting screwed in terms of a quality match-up. George Mason, Utah State and Missouri State would be huge, but they are probably destined for a better opponent.

Hofstra would be our match-up if you go strictly based on RPI.

We will probably not get a TV game. However, Zeke's presence and Dambrot's TV-friendly LeBron connection could be enough to get one with a little luck. The top 11 games get a TV spot, and we're currently #11 in terms of RPI for home teams. That loss to OU hurt big time, and we must win out until the selections are announced to stay in contention.

We will likely get Vermont, Iona, Hofstra, Austin Peay, Morehead State, Creighton, or St Peters. Maybe Milwaukee or Evansville on the low end. Anybody lower than that and we're getting screwed in terms of a quality match-up. George Mason, Utah State and Missouri State would be huge, but they are probably destined for a better opponent.

You on the selection committee for this season?

Zach brings up something that I don't believe has been discussed much here, which is Zeke's impact on potential TV games in the future. I don't think it's there right now. Not with 10/5 type of numbers. But, what could happen if he gets to the point of scoring 25 a game? We've seen in the past that kids from the "smaller" D-1 schools that become dominant can gain a tremendous amount of interest from the basketball world, and these bracketbuster games would certainly be opportunities for the college basketball tv decision-makers to put a player on tv that is getting some attention.

You on the selection committee for this season?

Reminds me of an old saying --

"I wish I could buy you for what you know, and sell you for what you think you know."

I don't know how much the ESPN selectors look at certain things but it would be kind of interesting if the opponent was Morehead State considering Brett (and Chris of course) McKnight has an older brother who played his college ball at MSU a few years back.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Maine has played their way up into our neighborhood in RPI. Would anybody want to see us play them? I don't really get excited about that matchup if it were to happen for this year's Buster but I would love to make that return trip next year. I have always wanted to travel up that way.

I believe Maine has played their way up into our neighborhood in RPI. Would anybody want to see us play them? I don't really get excited about that matchup if it were to happen for this year's Buster but I would love to make that return trip next year. I have always wanted to travel up that way.

I have been up the University of Maine and it is quite nice - in the summer.

I'll know more after tonights game but the way things are looking I would like to see just about anybody from the MVC.

One of my favorite MVC schools is Evansville. I think they were somewhere similar to us in RPI too after last week's games.

I'll know more after tonights game but the way things are looking I would like to see just about anybody from the MVC.

One of my favorite MVC schools is Evansville. I think they were somewhere similar to us in RPI too after last week's games.

Back in our D2 days the Purple Aces always gave us all we could handle (and frequently more). Given their performance so far this year, I think this would be a good game, and the return trip next year would give all you heathens a chance to visit the Bible belt. (No Zach, that isn't a clothing item made from a book)

I couldn't be less excited about Maine...though not many teams in this whole thing are very exciting.

If I had to pick though, I'd take Creighton. I like playing them, plus isn't Kyle Korver's little brother on that team?

Well, not that we thought we'd get a TV game, but ESPNU just made sure we know we're not. K-ent is the only team from the MAC on TV, getting a tough draw to play at the CAA's Drexel. The MAC is just terrible this year...down to 21st rank in the country according to www.realtimerpi.com

Creighton it is. For what its worth this is a pretty decent named opponent. Theyre having an off year as are we but next year between them and VCU thats two good non conference games on the schedule. certainly better than Milwaukee, Seattle, and Jacksonville St who are facing 3 other MAC schools

MAC Non-TV BracketBuster Weekend Games: Creighton at Akron; Ball State at Wofford; BGSU at Youngstown State; Milwaukee at Buffalo; CMU at Niagara; Jacksonville St. at EMU; Miami at James Madison; Seattle at NIU; Ohio at Winthrop; Eastern Illinois at Toledo; Illinois State at Western Michigan

Can't will be the lone MAC team on ESPNU that weekend as they play at Drexel at 9pm

My #1 choice would've actually been Boise State. I think the casual fan will connect with the name they've made in football and would've drawn a large crowd. I like Creighton though, especially for our position.

Interesting note: Creighton realtimerpi: 129. Highest ranking win @#118 Evansville (MVC)

Akron realtimerpi: 164. Highest ranking win vs.#78 K-ent State (MAC)/vs#182 Oral Roberts