2012 Recruiting

This thread is about keeping track of who Akron has offered and where they end up, in an effort to get an idea of who our coaches are trying to recruit against. Check the original post in the thread for a complete list of all the players Akron has offered that are still on the board, all the Akron commitments (we're up to ten now!), and who the other kids we offered chose over Akron.

I started it to see whether our previous coach really was recruiting the way I thought he was, and it validated my suspicions.

Now we have a new coach with a new recruiting philosophy, but with an extremely limited timeframe to recruit and a bunch of players with outstanding offers. Most of "his" recruits will be players originally offered by Ianello. If there's one thing Ianello could do, he could identify talent. He just had trouble actually getting that talent to commit to playing for him, as the offer board shows. So now we have offers out to talented players and a coach that they might actually want to play for.

I like it, and please keep posting where everybody with an offer ends up. It makes sense, dont know why people are taking issue with it.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're willing to do the work, Zach, I enjoy it as well.

And with most schools going after the same recruits, we should expect to not get most of the players who we offer. Wonder what an average ratio would be? Maybe a school would land one-out-of-20 players they offer school lies to? It really shines a light on the strategery[sic] of recruiting.

If you're willing to do the work, Zach, I enjoy it as well.

And with most schools going after the same recruits, we should expect to not get most of the players who we offer. Wonder what an average ratio would be? Maybe a school would land one-out-of-20 players they offer school lies to? It really shines a light on the strategery[sic] of recruiting.

Now seriously, what are school lies and why would a school offer them to a prospective athlete?

This thread is about keeping track of who Akron has offered and where they end up, in an effort to get an idea of who our coaches are trying to recruit against. Check the original post in the thread for a complete list of all the players Akron has offered that are still on the board, all the Akron commitments (we're up to ten now!), and who the other kids we offered chose over Akron.

I started it to see whether our previous coach really was recruiting the way I thought he was, and it validated my suspicions.

Now we have a new coach with a new recruiting philosophy, but with an extremely limited timeframe to recruit and a bunch of players with outstanding offers. Most of "his" recruits will be players originally offered by Ianello. If there's one thing Ianello could do, he could identify talent. He just had trouble actually getting that talent to commit to playing for him, as the offer board shows. So now we have offers out to talented players and a coach that they might actually want to play for.

Agree with others= I appreciate your research and keeping us up-to-date. You go, ZTZ!!!

http://www.zips.ohio.com/2012/01/zips-foot...n-campus-early/

Couple of new names there.

Rasor gets the scoop six early signings. Enrolling early means participating in spring practices, which will help out since we sorely lack the depth needed to run effective practices.

I'll edit the list to reflect this news later this evening when I have access to a computer. Its too unwieldy to do on the phone I'm posting from.

http://www.zips.ohio.com/2012/01/zips-foot...n-campus-early/

Couple of new names there.

Rasor gets the scoop six early signings. Enrolling early means participating in spring practices, which will help out since we sorely lack the depth needed to run effective practices.

I'll edit the list to reflect this news later this evening when I have access to a computer. Its too unwieldy to do on the phone I'm posting from.

Believe it, or not, it was actually George Thomas who scooped that! Way to go, GT!!!

Believe it, or not, it was actually George Thomas who scooped that! Way to go, GT!!!

There is more info on that blog now. GT is on fire!

For student athletes who held an offer from former Akron Zips football coach Rob Ianello, the past couple of months had to be stressful.

One Tallmadge Blue Devils offensive lineman fell into that category. Ianello offered left tackle Jon Cipa several weeks before being relieved of his duties as head coach.

At 6-foot-5 and 290 lbs, Cipa could help bolster the Zips line. He’s a raw talent who can play in the MAC, his high school coach Joe Vassalotti said. He’s drawn interest from a pack of Division I-AA, Division II and Division III schools, but the Zips were his only Division I-A offer and whether he would get the chance to commit to them remained to be seen.

“That was our concern,” Vassalotti said. (The Cipa family) didn’t hear from anyone after Terry Bowden was hired.”

Ultimately Cipa could find out something this week. According to a source, his parents are scheduled to meet with Bowden tomorrow.

“I think he’ll give his commitment to Akron,” Vassalotti said.

In the meantime, the new Zips coach is fulfilling a promise he made in his news conference. He called Vassalotti Saturday not only to talk about Cipa but to reach out as well. He’s also been in contact with a couple of coaches in the City Series.

In other recruiting news, Bowden has cast his gaze further north to Mayfield High School in the Mayfield City Schools to show interest in Alex Brooks, who is touting himself as a QB-athlete.

Brooks, currently a junior, stands 6-foot-1 and weights 195 lbs. Judging from tape, he has a strong enough arm and the ability to run with the ball as well…The Zips extended an offer to North Olmsted 5-foot-11 running back-defensive back Marc Remy. They will have to battle MAC rival Toledo for his

Alright. Updated the list. We have six players that are enrolled and six that are verbally committed.

Three more and we will match the amount of players lost to graduation. I look for a total of around 22 scholarship players in this class. Enough to add some depth and get us back to a decent amount of scholarship players. Three or four should be standout players, and maybe eight will see significant playing time as freshmen.

Here is an excellent article by the Beacon's Marla Ridenour on Coach Bowden's efforts to right the wrongs of the previous staff with regards to recruiting Stark, Summit, Portage & Medina counties.

“We’ll take every one of our coaches and spend the night,” Bowden said of the coaches’ clinic. “They go out and do bud-boy things that Friday night and we want to be with ’em. Have a beer with ’em, have a good time with ’em and show we’re going to be a presence.”

A coach who realizes the importance of beer in building relationships. Love it.

“We’ll take every one of our coaches and spend the night,” Bowden said of the coaches’ clinic. “They go out and do bud-boy things that Friday night and we want to be with ’em. Have a beer with ’em, have a good time with ’em and show we’re going to be a presence.”

A coach who realizes the importance of beer in building relationships. Love it.

I agree with Coach Bowden on just about everything he has said so far. He seems to know what makes people tick.

Curtis Black, from Ken+ Roosevelt HS, has committed to the Zips. [url="http://scoutingohio.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=9418&Itemid=85&name="]He's a really big kid.

He IS huge. It'll be interesting to see what a redshirt year of weight training and conditioning will do to him. You have to think former Rough Rider Trent Boykin may have had a hand in this.