Pine Bluff

johnnyzip84

I'm watching UAPB play Michigan tonight, and their style of play (trapping, full and half court pressure defense) could very well make the next game more interesting than one might think by merely looking at their record. Jackson and Townsend are both players. Zips can't afford to sleep on the Lions.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching UAPB play Michigan tonight, and their style of play (trapping, full and half court pressure defense) could very well make the next game more interesting than one might think by merely looking at their record. Jackson and Townsend are both players. Zips can't afford to sleep on the Lions.

They are indeed. Every season they open up with several tough games on the road. Their schedule isn't quite as tough this year as it had been in the past but they have played some murderous schedules. I remember the game a couple years ago very well. They frustrated us big time all night long and the game was tightly fought till the buzzer. That was the night that Humpty really lost his cool and it was close to being a bench clearing brawl.

I don't quite see this month as "bringing in the cupcakes" as others here have suggested. UAPB can hang and Youngstown is much more athletic with a better team that they have had in awhile. We will be tested in a couple of these games for sure.

I don't quite see this month as "bringing in the cupcakes" as others here have suggested. UAPB can hang and Youngstown is much more athletic with a better team that they have had in awhile. We will be tested in a couple of these games for sure.

I'll agree with that assessment.

With our team in flux from game to game, the playing field against any D1 opponent is leveled. We need a couple home wins, and a consistent roster for several consecutive games, to begin finding a groove.

UAPB puts a lot of pressure on the ball handlers, forcing 19 UM turnovers and prompting the following remark from Coach Beilein:

"It will be, officially, the last game we will ever win when we have 19 turnovers -- this year," Beilein said. "I don't predict that happening again."

Zips need to play against teams like UAPB to improve their ball handling under pressure, or it could really bite them in postseason play. If Ibitayo is going to be the backup PG, he needs to be able to play against teams like UAPB to get used to college level ball pressure.

An interesting comment at the end of the ESPN story gives an insight into how lucrative it can be for a small school to play lots of road games:

UAPB will play at Akron on Thursday night. The long stretch without a home game is fairly common for the Southwestern Athletic Conference school. A couple seasons ago -- at the end of a similar stretch away from home -- UAPB's athletic director estimated the school had earned about $800,000 by playing all those road games, about one-fourth of the athletic department's total revenue.

ESPN Story

Btw, shouldn't we be playing at YSU this year?

We don't even have Can't on the schedule. I believe Can't and Akron are AT Youngstown State next season. Don't quote me on that. The way the Horizon schedules two early conference games in December have thrown a wrench into scheduling for us.

We don't even have Can't on the schedule. I believe Can't and Akron are AT Youngstown State next season. Don't quote me on that. The way the Horizon schedules two early conference games in December have thrown a wrench into scheduling for us.

I'd love to see that game in the Coveli Center. I'd really like to check the place out.

Maybe this is why KD is (apparently) delaying AA's knee surgery until after these next few games? Maybe he feels we really do need AA for Pine-Bluff & YSU. It'd be pretty devestating to go 1-4 over the next few weeks.

Is AA really having surgery on his knee or will he just be "rested" after these games?

I'd love to see that game in the Coveli Center. I'd really like to check the place out.

Basketball blows in there. It is a beautiful arena, but they don't setup seats behind each basket so you got a giant grey floor there. Beeghly is a lot more intimate. It is very much just like the JAR or the MACC.

Maybe this is why KD is (apparently) delaying AA's knee surgery until after these next few games? Maybe he feels we really do need AA for Pine-Bluff & YSU. It'd be pretty devestating to go 1-4 over the next few weeks.

Is AA really having surgery on his knee or will he just be "rested" after these games?

I'm not certain, but pretty sure it's going to require surgery. But, I guess meniscus surgery must be rather minor, as he'll only be sidelined for a little over 2 weeks. "Minor" knee surgery?

Basketball blows in there. It is a beautiful arena, but they don't setup seats behind each basket so you got a giant grey floor there. Beeghly is a lot more intimate. It is very much just like the JAR or the MACC.

Interesting. That's why (we speculate) UA is hesitant/unwilling to go in with the City of Akron on a multi-purpose arena.

I'm laid up with some spine problems so can't be there. They just panned the camera around the Jar and it looks like there about 150 people in their seats.

Shame on the students, shame on most everybody. The Athletic dept could do themselves a huge favor by giving out freebies to the local schools, churches, and youth groups. Give 'em a taste of a nice product and they will be back. If the margin of victory comes from feeding off of the home crowd then we are screwed. That's enough from me. Don't get me really started but the program deserves so much more.

UAPB puts a lot of pressure on the ball handlers, forcing 19 UM turnovers and prompting the following remark from Coach Beilein:

"It will be, officially, the last game we will ever win when we have 19 turnovers -- this year," Beilein said. "I don't predict that happening again."

Zips need to play against teams like UAPB to improve their ball handling under pressure, or it could really bite them in postseason play. If Ibitayo is going to be the backup PG, he needs to be able to play against teams like UAPB to get used to college level ball pressure.

An interesting comment at the end of the ESPN story gives an insight into how lucrative it can be for a small school to play lots of road games:

UAPB will play at Akron on Thursday night. The long stretch without a home game is fairly common for the Southwestern Athletic Conference school. A couple seasons ago -- at the end of a similar stretch away from home -- UAPB's athletic director estimated the school had earned about $800,000 by playing all those road games, about one-fourth of the athletic department's total revenue.

ESPN Story

It's not just Pine Bluff playing a lot of games far from home -- North Carolina A&T plays @St Mary's tonight I think, then heads to Maui to take on Hawaii this weekend, then takes on Akron and Ohio (on the road of course) next week. Can I get some Willie Nelson background music? :D

Not sure we're learning that much from this game right now.

Zeke is a man amongst boys against undersized teams when he can stay out of foul trouble. We already knew that.

The Zips are a sloppy team that hasn't learned how to consistently play as a 5 man unit. We already knew that.

It's a good thing APB isn't better than their record would indicate. If they were the Zips would be in a dog fight right now.

Shame on the students, shame on most everybody. The Athletic dept could do themselves a huge favor by giving out freebies to the local schools, churches, and youth groups. Give 'em a taste of a nice product and they will be back. If the margin of victory comes from feeding off of the home crowd then we are screwed. That's enough from me. Don't get me really started but the program deserves so much more.

You can pass the shame to whoever you want but when it comes to fan support, the athletic department and especially this basketball program has no one to blame but themselves. If you build a team that can't win till March you'll get a fan base that doesn't give a damn till March.