The GIANTS Win

akronzips71

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? Are we watching the same team? You've not seen catchable balls bouncing off our defensive backs' hands? If not, you're clearly the only one. It's what Browns LBs and DBs are known for...dropping sure-thing interceptions. But yeah, why use facts?

#2 ranked pass defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/s...se/seasontype/2

That's the only time I heard "Akron" too.

The Cleveland news stations lasdt night were loving mentioning local high school players that were in the game, but never mentioned that Chase played at Akron.

That sucks. When I saw the Int. I thought for sure they would mention Akron. I was hoping I missed a few during trips to the bathroom or food runs. :unsure:

The Cleveland news stations lasdt night were loving mentioning local high school players that were in the game, but never mentioned that Chase played at Akron.

Of course not. Sadly, in the battle for Akron's relevance, most Akronites haven't quite figured out that Cleveland channels 3, 5 & 8 are basically Akron's Public Enemy #1.

Columbus State would be Public Enemy #2.

Watch the Cleveland tv news EVERY NIGHT. Watch for publicity/mention of anything UA and you WILL NOT find it. Keep hoping and keep watching - month, after month, after month - you WILL NOT find it. After a few years of this a light bulb will go off, and you'll begin to see what's happening. Then after 20 years (LITERALLY 20 YEARS for me) of hoping/looking you'll hate everything Cleveland almost as much as I do and wish the city up north nothing but the worst. "Cleveland +" will make you want to vomit. I say that after 20 years of enlightenment that you'll hate Cleveland "almost as much as I do" because for me it then will have been 40 years. :lol:

Two things. 1) please don't cite the rare exception which proves the rule, and 2) if Cleveland's televised media would change their ways I'd be the very first person to forgive the city up north and let bygones be bygones and pull out that old Indians hat I'm sure I have in the back of my closet somewhere.

Until then, fall into the lake, Cleveland & go Akron!

My friend, the question is INTERCEPTIONS and INTERCEPTIONS DROPPED.

Cleveland had a total of 9 interceptions. Only two teams had fewer (8). Nine teams had 20 or more, and Green Bay had 31. What aren't you getting about Browns defenders UNABLE TO CATCH A BALL? You got any other weak arguments? Rave about the Browns overrated "statistical" defense all you want. It's meaningless.

Back to the point: Chase Blackburn made an interception that Browns defenders and wide-receivers WOULD NOT MAKE. Okay? Geesh.

Back to the point: Chase Blackburn made an interception that Browns defenders and wide-receivers WOULD NOT MAKE. Okay? Geesh.

It was a good play by Blackburn, but the catch was nothing special. Browns WRs(they suck) and they could still make that catch. The DBs can as well.

now hush with all your browns hate, its annoying.

Public enemy # 1 to Akron is.....Akron.

I've lived in both Columbus and Cleveland. The ONLY place I've ever been harassed for wearing my Akron jersey was at the BW-3 on Exchange St. while watching the Akron-Penn State Football game.

Of course not. Sadly, in the battle for Akron's relevance, most Akronites haven't quite figured out that Cleveland channels 3, 5 & 8 are basically Akron's Public Enemy #1.

Watch the Cleveland tv news EVERY NIGHT. Watch for publicity/mention of anything UA and you WILL NOT find it. Keep hoping and keep watching - month, after month, after month - you WILL NOT find it. After a few years of this a light bulb will go off, and you'll begin to see what's happening. Then after 20 years (LITERALLY 20 YEARS for me) of hoping/looking you'll hate everything Cleveland almost as much as I do and wish the city up north nothing but the worst. "Cleveland +" will make you want to vomit. I say that after 20 years of enlightenment that you'll hate Cleveland "almost as much as I do" because for me it then will have been 40 years. :lol:

Two things. 1) please don't cite the rare exception which proves the rule, and 2) if Cleveland's televised media would change their ways I'd be the very first person to forgive the city up north and let bygones be bygones and pull out that old Indians hat I'm sure I have in the back of my closet somewhere.

It is a good thing we don't have a rivalry with Cleveland or Columbus then! :rolleyes:

I've lived in both Columbus and Cleveland. The ONLY place I've ever been harassed for wearing my Akron jersey was at the BW-3 on Exchange St. while watching the Akron-Penn State Football game.

Joe Akron doesn't help, but the original spirit of the comment was being completely ignored, not being outwardly discouraged. And I would consider your example as a highly isolated incident.

It was a good play by Blackburn, but the catch was nothing special. Browns WRs(they suck) and they could still make that catch. The DBs can as well.

now hush with all your browns hate, its annoying.

The catch that saved the Super Bowl was "nothing special"?

What the hell have you been smoking?

That was a leaping interception 50 yards downfield by a LINEBACKER against one of the very best TE's in the NFL. NOTHING SPECIAL MY ASS.

Joe Akron doesn't help, but the original spirit of the comment was being completely ignored, not being outwardly discouraged. And I would consider your example as a highly isolated incident.

Not "Joe" at all. Just to clarify, this was a bunch of frat guys, at AKRON, ripping on OUR football team, on OUR campus.

I wanted to fight them all.

The catch that saved the Super Bowl was "nothing special"?

What the hell have you been smoking?

That was a leaping interception 50 yards downfield by a LINEBACKER against one of the very best TE's in the NFL. NOTHING SPECIAL MY ASS.

dont put words in my mouth. I said it was a very good play. The actual catch wasnt really anything special.

Not "Joe" at all. Just to clarify, this was a bunch of frat guys, at AKRON, ripping on OUR football team, on OUR campus.

I wanted to fight them all.

Just about every frat boy I've came across in Akron has been a d-bag. doesnt surprise me.

Scott, Unfortunately I know quite a few Cowlumbus State fans, and THEY EVEN ADMIT their embarrassment that their fellow fans act like such complete idiots towards fans for teams like Akron. So, that goes far beyond our own individual experiences in validating that point.

It is a good thing we don't have a rivalry with Cleveland or Columbus then! :rolleyes:

Don't rivalries have to be 2 sided? You may consider Cleveland and Columbus to be Akrons rivals, but I don't think the thought is reciprocated.

I see Cincy and Cleveland being rivals because of pro sports. I don't see anything for Akron, Cleveland or Columbus to be rivals for.

This is right. The major problem I have with the Cleveland televised media is that for at least one generation now (that's all I'm familiar with) they haven't considered Akron worthy of even mentioning.

Tragically, for the past generation, the televised media was unspeakably influential in defining a region's zietgiest (nice word ;) ). Cleveland has been unquantifiably destructive to the average Akronite's psyche. But that's the thing, unless you step outside of it and look for it, you will take the ignorance of Akron for granted. As a result, most Akronites, greater Akron area residents, have absolutely no identity with, let alone pride in, the community they are from.

Now, I'm 39 years old, and I've been an avid Zips fan since I was 19. I've been witnessing this for, like I said, LITERALLY 20 years. That's one entire generation of northeast Ohioans who have been unspokenly programmed to believe that the Zips aren't worth even mentioning. We'll never get our minds around the profound damage that has done.

However, I'm just hoping that the internet continues to take over and that televised media continues down it's current road to irrelevance - ala Anchorman. I think the next generation of Akronites, as a whole, could really take a lot of pride in who they are, in where they're from, and in the athletic teams from the U of Akron - teams that are proud to have AKRON emblazoned on their chests (athletic teams are a major component of a community's identity.) the Cleveland media won't have the opportunity to tell them that they're not worth mentioning, and that the only sports important enough to find identity in are the CLEVELAND Browns, Cavs and Indians.

Good grief, I could write a book on this. Sorry, people. :lol:

This is right. The major problem I have with the Cleveland televised media is that for at least one generation now (that's all I'm familiar with) they haven't considered Akron worthy of even mentioning.

Oh yes they do. They consider Akron worthy when something good happens in Akron, and they can tie it to themselves by saying that it happened "in the Cleveland area" or "in Greater Cleveland".

But, when something good happens in Cleveland...it belongs to CLEVELAND.

Look at how long they claimed LeBron as "our hometown boy". Now that it's not beneficial to them anymore, he's clearly from AKRON.

Oh yes they do. They consider Akron worthy when something good happens in Akron, and they can tie it to themselves by saying that it happened "in the Cleveland area" or "in Greater Cleveland".

But, when something good happens in Cleveland...it belongs to CLEVELAND.

Look at how long they claimed LeBron as "our hometown boy". Now that it's not beneficial to them anymore, he's clearly from AKRON.

Great point. I second this!

And things like this are the basis for a rivalry...not anything that occurs on an athletics field/court between Akron and Cleveland. UA-CSU in basketball is likely the only opportunity for athletic interaction anyhow.

All right I won't go further off topic on the Chase thread (Way to go buddy!!!) but here's my take.

Do I think we get enough press in CLE? Nope. I think we all want to see more Zips in the media. I just believe that it's far more constructive to try and change this; to try and combat the perception that there aren't enough Akron fans to warrant more coverage. It's a lot more productive, I think.

Also, I've seen enough losing the past 20 years. I'm tired of it. I don't want to pick another fight that's impossible to fight and impossible to win. Does Akron have better media, arts, entertainment, sporting events than Cleveland? Certainly not. But it doesn't matter to me because it's the same market.

And things aren't too bad, really. MAC Madness at the Q gets really good coverage. Before Akron-Can't games WKNR is all hilarious smack talk.

We're really in the same boat as Cleveland State. Trying to elbow our way into Northeast Ohio's major league/OSU-centric market. Sure getting more Zips coverage continues to be a challenge, but I'd love to see every Zips fan be up for that challenge, calling/writing/emailing all the NEO media outlets and asking for more damn coverage!

Great point. I second this!

And things like this are the basis for a rivalry...not anything that occurs on an athletics field/court between Akron and Cleveland. UA-CSU in basketball is likely the only opportunity for athletic interaction anyhow.