Shorter Bench

GP1

I don't think the bench shortening necessarily applies to the Zips under KD. If you compare last year's minutes per game in conference statistics vs. overall statistics, you'll see that the same 9 players averaged double-digit minutes in both, and there was not a substantial difference in average minutes played.

Last Season's Team Stats

I expect the situation to be similar this season, with the top 9 players averaging double-digit minutes in conference play at a similar proportion to what they averaged in non-conference play.

Ibitayo and Egner would be the two scholarship players least likely to see double-digit minutes during conference play, same as non-conference.

Ibitayo and Egner would be the two scholarship players least likely to see double-digit minutes during conference play, same as non-conference.

I agree. Egner's not getting any meaningful minutes as long and Harney/Nik/Tree/Zeke are good-to-go. Josh seems to be a tweener...not enough offensive skills to be a 3/4, and not enough strength to get appreciable minutes at the 5.

Ibitayo has improved. KD seems to have given him the green-light to shoot, regardless of the situation. And that's given Deji some confidence that other, higher-strung coaches probably wouldn't have gotten out of him. But he's still not ready for 10mpg.

@skip-zip, below are the average minutes per game last season. The first number is the average for all games played and the second number is the average for conference games only.

They don't break out non-conference games separately, so you have to do a little interpolating as the conference and non-conference numbers are included in the average for all games. But it makes the point that no one really saw a substantial change in average minutes during the conference season.

Some of the veterans saw slightly more and some of the veterans saw slightly less conference PT compared with non-conference.

CVETINOVIC, Nikola... 27.7 27.2

MCKNIGHT, Brett....... 17.9 18.5

MCCLANAHAN, Brett... 26.1 25.2

MCNEES, Steve.......... 31.5 30.8

MARSHALL, Zeke........ 22.4 22.2

ROBERTS, Darryl........ 27.6 27.1

ABREU, Alex.............. 19.7 20.2

DIGGS, Quincy.......... 16.6 15.5

BARDO, Mike............. 11.4 10.4

EGNER, Josh.............. 6.1 4.5

EUTON, Dakotah........ 4.8 1.5

PETERSEN, Kyle......... 2.0 1.5

OLDHAM, C.J............. 2.9 1.4

@skip-zip, below are the average minutes per game last season. The first number is the average for all games played and the second number is the average for conference games only.

They don't break out non-conference games separately, so you have to do a little interpolating as the conference and non-conference numbers are included in the average for all games. But it makes the point that no one really saw a substantial change in average minutes during the conference season.

Some of the veterans saw slightly more and some of the veterans saw slightly less conference PT compared with non-conference.

CVETINOVIC, Nikola... 27.7 27.2

MCKNIGHT, Brett....... 17.9 18.5

MCCLANAHAN, Brett... 26.1 25.2

MCNEES, Steve.......... 31.5 30.8

MARSHALL, Zeke........ 22.4 22.2

ROBERTS, Darryl........ 27.6 27.1

ABREU, Alex.............. 19.7 20.2

DIGGS, Quincy.......... 16.6 15.5

BARDO, Mike............. 11.4 10.4

EGNER, Josh.............. 6.1 4.5

EUTON, Dakotah........ 4.8 1.5

PETERSEN, Kyle......... 2.0 1.5

OLDHAM, C.J............. 2.9 1.4

Thanks Dave. It's not what I would have guessed.

I expect that rotation to not change much from the last 2-3 games. Abreu, Walsh, Gilliam, Nik and Zeke starting. Nitro, Q, Harney and Tree off the bench. Alex and Zeke will get as much playing time as they can handle whle staying out of foul trouble. Q will be basically the first guy off the bench. Egner and Deji will see sporadic time if injuries or foul trouble occurs or if we are blowing a team out. In crunch time it will be Alex, Nitro, Q, Nik and Zeke.

KD has stressed in a lot of his press conferences that one big advantage we have right now is our depth. I don't expect him to stop utilizing it. I would be surprised if we play with anything less than a 9 man rotation.

I agree. Egner's not getting any meaningful minutes as long and Harney/Nik/Tree/Zeke are good-to-go. Josh seems to be a tweener...not enough offensive skills to be a 3/4, and not enough strength to get appreciable minutes at the 5.

Good point, I wonder if it might be worth redshirting Egner next year. He needs to get stronger. Although if you go 5 years out, you use up a scholarship for 1 extra year on the same guy. Nik will be gone next year but I can see other guys taking those minutes.

Good point, I wonder if it might be worth redshirting Egner next year. He needs to get stronger. Although if you go 5 years out, you use up a scholarship for 1 extra year on the same guy. Nik will be gone next year but I can see other guys taking those minutes.

Unless he has some kind of injury next year, red-shirting is not possible for Egner. I believe you can only red-shirt for your true Freshman year.

I have been saying for quite a while that the biggest issue KD faces is who to play. How many teams would have someone like Tree or Harney sitting on the bench? Either of them would make a run at MAC rookie of the year at a school with less depth and more playing time.

When Harney gets to play an entire game, expect to see 30+ points. He has the potential to be a scoring machine.

I have been saying for quite a while that the biggest issue KD faces is who to play. How many teams would have someone like Tree or Harney sitting on the bench? Either of them would make a run at MAC rookie of the year at a school with less depth and more playing time.

When Harney gets to play an entire game, expect to see 30+ points. He has the potential to be a scoring machine.

I agree somewhat with this but there are several true scorers on the team who could score 30+ points if they play more minutes. Tree, Harney, Gilliam, Q are all capable to score 30+ but score in different ways...I don't agree with the closers and think this will come back to bite the ZIPS in conference play and tourney. I believe the best guys should be in to close out games. True athletes have true egos and live to close out games. This waiting for their time crap only tic these players off. They are not stupid and eventually will walk meaning transfer or move on. Put the best on the floor to close and keep these egos happy...Everyone on the team knows who brings more options to the team and KD need to stop relying on Vets just because they are. Especially when the ZIPS come up with a lost.

5 consecutive berths in the MAC championship game. 2 NCAA's in those 5 years. 20+ wins for 7 seasons?

I trust that Dambrot knows what he's doing.

Also - Guys like Tree and Harney are definitely the future of Zips basketball. But they f'd up and cost the team some early-season wins. It would send a bad message to give those guys 30min/game right off the bat, at the expense of seniors who've built the program, and been through the wars.

A balance will develop over the next several games. KD gets paid to win, and when all is said and done, the best team will be fielded.

5 consecutive berths in the MAC championship game. 2 NCAA's in those 5 years. 20+ wins for 7 seasons?

Also - Guys like Tree and Harney are definitely the future of Zips basketball. But they f'd up and cost the team some early-season wins. It would send a bad message to give those guys 30min/game right off the bat, at the expense of seniors who've built the program, and been through the wars.

A balance will develop over the next several games. KD gets paid to win, and when all is said and done, the best team will be fielded.

Couple of thoughts on the topic:

First comments on Miami game: They played a lot more zone than the Zips have seen in awhile. This was in order to offset the inside presence of the Zips. Do not be surprised if the Zips see more zone to take away the BIGS.

Also, give Charlie credit, he took his post away from the basket which puts Zeke in a defensive disadvantage where Zeke had to guard on the perimeter.

Second, team personnel: The discussion keeps going around and around on who should be playing and when. Most of you understand how KD thinks and recognize his accomplishments. There is a rhyme and reason for everything. Working day and in day out with the team gives the staff more of an insight than just the couple of practices or games that we listen or watch.

I would like to share a quick story. When driving through a little town I came to a train crossing and while waiting for the train I was pondering some issues with my own basketball program. When the train finally left, there is front of me was a billboard from a local businessperson and across the sign were these three words, "LOYALTY, TRUST AND COMMITMENT". Pretty much a good mantra for anyone working with relationships.

There has been some bumps in the road this year but speaking of trains, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is NOT another train. New players have to mature and blend together, just look at VCU last year, and George Mason some years back. Hopefully there has been some life lessons learned this year.

Speaking of transfers, Humpty left two years ago and the Zips won MAC tourney and played in the NCAA's. It is part of the business. I agree the the previous bloggers about the best is yet to come. Go ZIPS!!!

@lumberjack, aspiring college players should carefully pick a coach and team they believe would be best for their style of play, and then trust the coach they selected to make the right decisions regarding getting the most out of each individual within the context of what's best for the team. Prima donnas should look for coaches who feature stars, not for coaches who emphasize team play.

Any player who signed up to play for KD and the Zips should have known exactly what they were getting into. KD has never catered to stars. KD tries to coach talented individuals into becoming the best team players. He typically spends most of the season finding the right combination of players to have on the floor against any type of team at different points of the game depending on a number of variables. Each player has a chance to demonstrate what he's capable of doing under a variety of circumstances throughout the season. The results show up at the end of the season, where the Zips are typically at their peak.

Some of the newer players are already taking PT away from some of the veterans. But it isn't just given to them. They've had to earn it. If they keep performing better, they'll earn larger chunks of PT.

Tree, Harney, Gilliam and Q are not the only scorers on this Zips team. For example, Q may have the best average on the team of 20.7 points per 40 minutes played. But it's not Tree, Harney or Gilliam who's second to Q. It's Brian Walsh with 18.6 points per 40 minutes. And when it comes to total offense, Walsh leads the Zips in offensive rating at 173.4 followed by the Serb at 161.4.

In addition to scorers, you also need players who can handle the ball and get it to their teammates without turning it over. The Zips player with the best assist-to-turnover ratio is Nitro. Lots of things to consider about who contributes most to the Zips total offense. And then there's the whole subject of defense. In addition to scoring, you have to stop the other team from scoring.

Point is, it takes a balance of different players with different skill sets to make a complete team, and a good coach will figure out when each player should be on the floor and how long they should remain there in order to produce the best results for the team. KD is a good coach.

Threats about players transferring or moving on because they aren't being catered to does not help promote good team chemistry.

As I see it, the coach is about winning, not punishing. We are in conference play, and you don't use "playing time" as an incentive to be good. If you are "bad", you get suspended, we know that. If a player is causing dissent, he coach has to deal with that. But when we are in a conference game, the task is to win. Once again, I go back to what I said in the past: The biggest problem is figuring out who to play.

Walsh is a major-major player. He can handle the ball, shoot 3 pointers, drive the basket. He is solid. Tree is a monster under the boards. Gilliam knows how to score, something we have lacked at times in the past. Q is awesome, not the worlds best point guard, but a super shooter and defender. Harney is the future for sure. If he develops, he has the size, athletics, and shot to get to the NBA, I kid you not. Remember, for BB purposes, he is a freshman. Now the problem is, AA and Zeke are going to be in there for as long as they stay out of foul trouble, that leaves three more guys on the court. But I just mentioned FIVE guys who can do great things for us, PLUS Nitro and Nik. Yikes, SEVEN PLAYERS FOR THREE SLOTS.

Now I know I am a pessimist, so in that spirit, I think as time goes on the seniors need to get less playing time and the frosh more. Because the seniors (Nitro and Nik) won't be here next year. We need to assure our dominance for the next three years, and that means the other guys MUST play.

We have played a few "major" teams this year. Does anyone think that there is a program that would not jump at the chance to grab Harney or Tree? Are you kidding? They ARE going to be big stars as juniors and seniors. I want it to be at Akron.

@lumberjack, aspiring college players should carefully pick a coach and team they believe would be best for their style of play, and then trust the coach they selected to make the right decisions regarding getting the most out of each individual within the context of what's best for the team. Prima donnas should look for coaches who feature stars, not for coaches who emphasize team play.

Any player who signed up to play for KD and the Zips should have known exactly what they were getting into. KD has never catered to stars. KD tries to coach talented individuals into becoming the best team players. He typically spends most of the season finding the right combination of players to have on the floor against any type of team at different points of the game depending on a number of variables. Each player has a chance to demonstrate what he's capable of doing under a variety of circumstances throughout the season. The results show up at the end of the season, where the Zips are typically at their peak.

Some of the newer players are already taking PT away from some of the veterans. But it isn't just given to them. They've had to earn it. If they keep performing better, they'll earn larger chunks of PT.

Tree, Harney, Gilliam and Q are not the only scorers on this Zips team. For example, Q may have the best average on the team of 20.7 points per 40 minutes played. But it's not Tree, Harney or Gilliam who's second to Q. It's Brian Walsh with 18.6 points per 40 minutes. And when it comes to total offense, Walsh leads the Zips in offensive rating at 173.4 followed by the Serb at 161.4.

In addition to scorers, you also need players who can handle the ball and get it to their teammates without turning it over. The Zips player with the best assist-to-turnover ratio is Nitro. Lots of things to consider about who contributes most to the Zips total offense. And then there's the whole subject of defense. In addition to scoring, you have to stop the other team from scoring.

Point is, it takes a balance of different players with different skill sets to make a complete team, and a good coach will figure out when each player should be on the floor and how long they should remain there in order to produce the best results for the team. KD is a good coach.

Threats about players transferring or moving on because they aren't being catered to does not help promote good team chemistry.

This will probably be my last posts as I'm not trying to irritate anyone but just stating my opinion. I love the game of basketball and I've played the game as well as coached for several years at the AAU level. Some of the guys I coached and got placed in college and NBA would probably blow your mind. So when I make a point I'd like to believe that my point is valid. I've met a lot of college coaches over the pasts 25 plus years. I make comments here because I felt I know and relate to todays players because it's been my life for so long nothing personal. I never mentioned anything about team chemistry threats or anything of the like. I simply made a point that based on my experience great athletes come with huge egos. Players like feeling loved by fans and the coaches and when that is threatened they move on. Whether they want to transfer or either enter the draft early but won't stay if they are not comfortable.

Now Walsh's father and I are close and he knows what I think about his son and will not go into what I say to him in private. But I will say I love him like he's my son and he a has stronger parts to his game as do other players. So in case you are wondering there is no wedge there nor will I allow you to put words in my mouth. There are a lot of good players on the team. However, there are players who are talented enough to go to the next level and Zeke is not the only one. They have every right to protect their future and we are the lasts people to make them feel guilty for our own selfish agenda. This sports thing is a business both for the coaches and the players. I said IN MY OPINION when I replied to the post. I'm not sure if the misinterpretation comes from you or midwesterners as a whole, but I have problems with people whom don't let others speak their mind. Every player parents and coaches know what is my intent and my heart is totally engaged for this program because of my commitment to one of the players. Fans only care about one thing and that is winning and the rest of us have a vested interests that will love them good bad or indifferent.

So if you disagree with me on my point so be it. My rights to speak is protected by the constitution of the US!!!

This will probably be my last posts as I'm not trying to irritate anyone but just stating my opinion. I love the game of basketball and I've played the game as well as coached for several years at the AAU level. Some of the guys I coached and got placed in college and NBA would probably blow your mind. So when I make a point I'd like to believe that my point is valid. I've met a lot of college coaches over the pasts 25 plus years. I make comments here because I felt I know and relate to todays players because it's been my life for so long nothing personal. I never mentioned anything about team chemistry threats or anything of the like. I simply made a point that based on my experience great athletes come with huge egos. Players like feeling loved by fans and the coaches and when that is threatened they move on. Whether they want to transfer or either enter the draft early but won't stay if they are not comfortable.

Now Walsh's father and I are close and he knows what I think about his son and will not go into what I say to him in private. But I will say I love him like he's my son and he a has stronger parts to his game as do other players. So in case you are wondering there is no wedge there nor will I allow you to put words in my mouth. There are a lot of good players on the team. However, there are players who are talented enough to go to the next level and Zeke is not the only one. They have every right to protect their future and we are the lasts people to make them feel guilty for our own selfish agenda. This sports thing is a business both for the coaches and the players. I said IN MY OPINION when I replied to the post. I'm not sure if the misinterpretation comes from you or midwesterners as a whole, but I have problems with people whom don't let others speak their mind. Every player parents and coaches know what is my intent and my heart is totally engaged for this program because of my commitment to one of the players. Fans only care about one thing and that is winning and the rest of us have a vested interests that will love them good bad or indifferent.

So if you disagree with me on my point so be it. My rights to speak is protected by the constitution of the US!!!

Just remember one simple rule on ZipsNation -- You can't out-type Dave. No one can. Once you come to terms with that, the rest is gravy. ;)

As I see it, the coach is about winning, not punishing. We are in conference play, and you don't use "playing time" as an incentive to be good. If you are "bad", you get suspended, we know that. If a player is causing dissent, he coach has to deal with that. But when we are in a conference game, the task is to win.

We are winning.

@lumberjack, I don't see anything wrong with what you said and I don't see anything wrong with what I said. We're all just making observations based on our own personal experiences. I appreciate your perspective and I hope that you can appreciate mine.

My basketball background is that my dad was a professional player/coach back in the 1930s. He taught me a lot about basketball at an early age, and it has been my favorite sport for the past 60 years.

Since you have personal experience at the coaching level, I'm sure you know better than I do what it's like to deal with talk of players leaving a team because they don't agree with the way the coach is playing them. :D

Seriously, don't let anything I or anyone else may say discourage you from posting here.

Dave,

Let me just add something. Most 16-17 basketball players, who are in the midst of a spectacular career and being hounded by D-1 schools, ARE Prima Donnas. And they don't necessarily pay attention to how much playing time that guys get at the school they might be planning on attending. They all want significant playing time.