Are we having a mass hallucination?

K92

Do you find yourself questioning whether all this is real? Pinching yourself because you think you're dreaming? This whole football program went from the lowest point ever to the most optimistic ever in an instant and it just hasn't stopped rolling. All of the media attention, recruiting explosion, positive press, not to mention the positive outlook! I don't know if any of you visit rivals.com, but I am a daily visitor. There's never anything on the message boards about Akron or even the MAC in general. Until yesterday...when I saw Will Bowden win National Championship at Akron? Sure, it's not serious, but when has Akron been in the title of a rivals thread? Unbelievable turn of events for the Zips. I can't wait until the spring game.

I think we have seen bad football for way too long. We finally have a coach to rally around, which we really haven't had since the beginning of the Faust years. Because of that I think that most people have unrealistic expectations. Talk of MAC championships and even bowl games may be a stretch. I try not to think those things are possible, since usually unrealistic expectations lead to major disappointments. We need to realize that Ianello destroyed our program. I may be a bit harsh on him, but in reality that is what happened. He was never fit to run a football team so just as much blame falls to those who hired him.

Thankfully our fans are excited. But really how does the general public feel? Will we see any sellouts next year at InfoCision? Highly doubt it. Will we see an attendance increase? hopefully, but after a few big losses at the beginning of the season we'll see a drop back to numbers of last season.

It's the NE Ohio way to be overly optimistic about teams leading up to next season. But I just hope our fans, students, and the rest of NE Ohio give it time and support this team as much as they can.

Growing up in PA, i'm a pitt fan as well. Todd Graham said all the right things upon his hire. With the situation he stepped into, there was no way he was going to succeed right away. Now I'm not comparing TB to the "high octane" scum known as Todd Graham, but stay realistic everyone. He's going to be a great coach, i dont have a doubt, but he isn't going 10-2 in his first year. He's saying all the right things to inject some enthusiasm into a fanbase that had nothing going for it 4 weeks ago, but i just don't want to see everyone disappointed if he doesn't light the world on fire in year one.

Growing up in PA, i'm a pitt fan as well. Todd Graham said all the right things upon his hire. With the situation he stepped into, there was no way he was going to succeed right away. Now I'm not comparing TB to the "high octane" scum known as Todd Graham, but stay realistic everyone. He's going to be a great coach, i dont have a doubt, but he isn't going 10-2 in his first year. He's saying all the right things to inject some enthusiasm into a fanbase that had nothing going for it 4 weeks ago, but i just don't want to see everyone disappointed if he doesn't light the world on fire in year one.

Relative to where we were the past two years, winning three games next year would be lighting the world on fire. I say, burn it all, Terry! :)

Yes, and let's hope he doesn't screw over our program like Todd Graham did to Pitt. I lose a lot of respect for the Brian Kellys, Todd Grahams, and Kevin Sumlins of the world. But at least Sumlin had enough dignity to coach Houston in their bowl game, while Kelly and Graham deserted their teams. No coach should use a school as a stepping stone. It's one thing to go from D2 to D1 or FCS to FBS. But we're seeing coaches jump from small FBS schools on the rise to awful big FBS schools. Did Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Frank Beamer, Gary Patterson, and Chris Petersen use their schools as stepping stones? Bowden, Paterno, and Beamer will go down as legends because their took mediocre schools and rose them to new heights. Patterson and Petersen have led TCU and Boise to BCS bowl games and BCS conferences in a few years. I see them as the next generation of legendary coaches. Will Brian Kelly get a statue in front of Notre Dame Stadium? Not likely. The stepping stone coaches will be forgotten in a decade. The coaches that stay at a program to build dynasties become legends. Hopefully the Zips can be successful, but we will really see then how much Terry cares about the school if that happens.

I dont see many people thinking 10-2 next season. I, and many others im sure as well would be happy with 4 wins. Schedule isn't all that tough, either.

I dont see many people thinking 10-2 next season. I, and many others im sure as well would be happy with 4 wins. Schedule isn't all that tough, either.

What I'm saying is, a lot of people say they're going to be happy with 3 or 4 wins. I hope if that happens, they stand by that.

Yes, and let's hope he doesn't screw over our program like Todd Graham did to Pitt. I lose a lot of respect for the Brian Kellys, Todd Grahams, and Kevin Sumlins of the world. But at least Sumlin had enough dignity to coach Houston in their bowl game, while Kelly and Graham deserted their teams. No coach should use a school as a stepping stone. It's one thing to go from D2 to D1 or FCS to FBS. But we're seeing coaches jump from small FBS schools on the rise to awful big FBS schools. Did Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Frank Beamer, Gary Patterson, and Chris Petersen use their schools as stepping stones? Bowden, Paterno, and Beamer will go down as legends because their took mediocre schools and rose them to new heights. Patterson and Petersen have led TCU and Boise to BCS bowl games and BCS conferences in a few years. I see them as the next generation of legendary coaches. Will Brian Kelly get a statue in front of Notre Dame Stadium? Not likely. The stepping stone coaches will be forgotten in a decade. The coaches that stay at a program to build dynasties become legends. Hopefully the Zips can be successful, but we will really see then how much Terry cares about the school if that happens.

It all comes down to money. 50 years ago when Bowden and Paterno were getting their starts, the difference in salaries between upper echelon schools and the lower was not nearly what it is now. I don't blame the coaches...if they are in it for money, let them jump programs. But you're right, they won't leave a legacy anywhere.

It all comes down to money. 50 years ago when Bowden and Paterno were getting their starts, the difference in salaries between upper echelon schools and the lower was not nearly what it is now. I don't blame the coaches...if they are in it for money, let them jump programs. But you're right, they won't leave a legacy anywhere.

Yeah I agree about the money. The way I see it, the bigger a program gets you'll be getting a pay raise. I'm sure Caleb Porter is making more now than he did his first season. But yeah, most don't want to wait...just shows they never really cared about the school in the end. I hope Bowden can see that Akron is a school worth sticking with.

3 or 4 wins and I'll be real happy.

Let's say we get twice as good as we were last year and all our opponents stay the same.

List the 3 or 4 teams we are going to beat.

Morgan State, CMU, UMASS, EMU.

If we get twice as good those are all the gimmes. You can also throw in a game or two that could go either way.

Morgan State, CMU, UMASS, EMU.

If we get twice as good those are all the gimmes. You can also throw in a game or two that could go either way.

We don't have either EMU or CMU on the schedule next year. We could potentially put Buffalo and Can't in those spots.