Conference Re-Alignment?

K-Roo

I imagine the point being that Cusa is not reloading with the powerhouse teams they would have purported. It's the differnce between the 2010 MWC attracting Boisie State, and the 2012 MWC attracting the likes of say CalPoly-SLO. OD's inclusion is a sign that the CUSA has slipped, not that ODU isn't a qualified FCS candidate to move up....

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the 1st hand perspective on Tidewater demographics, GP1. I admit to not having any 1st hand knowledge in this regard. The point you bring up about disposable income could be significant. I will say this however. So far, I believe ODU has sold out EVERY home game (currently just shy of 20,000). Now I don't know how many of these tickets are discounted or giveaways, but that's still a pretty impressive run against a so-so schedule. These people are clearly coming to see ODU play football. We'll see if the market is tapped out or not when they (presumably) expand and host the likes of Marshall and ECU.

I took the endowment figures straight from wiki for both. So I don't know how current either figure is. The $133m figure did seem low for UA. Either way, we're not talking about a big difference between schools for these numbers.

I'm not implying C-USA hasn't slipped. Of course they have. That's the pecking order at work in this whole reshuffle. But I think ODU would have been a GREAT "get" for the MAC and that they are a decent "get" for C-USA. I like them over the long haul better than North Texas or FIU, that's for sure.

The point you bring up about disposable income could be significant.

It could be, or it could be a load of crap. Either way, I'm a big believer in selling tickets to the masses. Real programs get the masses to attend games at face value for the tickets. Until teams can do that, they are pretenders.

It could be, or it could be a load of crap. Either way, I'm a big believer in selling tickets to the masses. Real programs get the masses to attend games at face value for the tickets. Until teams can do that, they are pretenders.

This AP story does the best job of providing details on ODU's rapid climb in football. OVER FOURTEEN THOUSAND SEASON TICKETS AND A THIRTY-FIVE HUNDRED LONG WAITING LIST???!!! I can only hope UA will EVER see these numbers.

This AP story does the best job of providing details on ODU's rapid climb in football. OVER FOURTEEN THOUSAND SEASON TICKETS AND A THIRTY-FIVE HUNDRED LONG WAITING LIST???!!! I can only hope UA will EVER see these numbers.

UNCC has done the same thing with their new 15,000 seat stadium. People also had to give a large donation to get tickets. All of it is impressive; however, the jump to D-1A will be a challenge for any of them and losing has a way of thinning out the herd of season ticket holders. I don't think UNCC will win because high school football isn't very good in NC (they will have to get players out of SC). ODU could win, but sometimes programs bite off more than they can chew. Novelty is a good thing and can sell tickets. Winning has to follow long term.

Also, 25,000 seat stadiums aren't serious D-1A stadiums. In order to be a serious program, you have to fill up huge stadiums and collect all of the money that goes along with it. UNCC is filling up a stadium smaller than Bobcats Arena five times a year. While it is better that what we have done, it isn't enough. It goes back to the pretense of D-1A vs. The Reality.

I wonder if the people at ODU understand the supply and demand curve and take this as an opportunity to bump up ticket prices a little. If you can't have a season ticket bump after success, when can it happen?

UNCC has done the same thing with their new 15,000 seat stadium. People also had to give a large donation to get tickets. All of it is impressive; however, the jump to D-1A will be a challenge for any of them and losing has a way of thinning out the herd of season ticket holders. I don't think UNCC will win because high school football isn't very good in NC (they will have to get players out of SC). ODU could win, but sometimes programs bite off more than they can chew. Novelty is a good thing and can sell tickets. Winning has to follow long term.

Also, 25,000 seat stadiums aren't serious D-1A stadiums. In order to be a serious program, you have to fill up huge stadiums and collect all of the money that goes along with it. UNCC is filling up a stadium smaller than Bobcats Arena five times a year. While it is better that what we have done, it isn't enough. It goes back to the pretense of D-1A vs. The Reality.

I wonder if the people at ODU understand the supply and demand curve and take this as an opportunity to bump up ticket prices a little. If you can't have a season ticket bump after success, when can it happen?

I seriously doubt that they understand the supply and demand curve, but I'll bet they have a pretty good estimate of the demand elasticity for their tickets.

I seriously doubt that they understand the supply and demand curve, but I'll bet they have a pretty good estimate of the demand elasticity for their tickets.

Do you really think they understand what a 1% change in price will do to demand?

I may as well put THIS here, since some of us have briefly mused about relegation applied to college football on earlier threads. Not surprisingly, the ineptitude of the last two years (hypothetically) would have forced UA to move down TWO levels :mad_flame:

I can't say it wouldn't have been justified, though.

I may as well put THIS here, since some of us have briefly mused about relegation applied to college football on earlier threads. Not surprisingly, the ineptitude of the last two years (hypothetically) would have forced UA to move down TWO levels :mad_flame:

I can't say it wouldn't have been justified, though.

They must have read this thread :CK_brew:

I think they know the point elasticity at any particular point along the demand curve as well as the arc elasticity.

Are we talking about athletic department employees or Ludwig von Mises?

More big fish eating small fish.

New bowl a death knell for ACC?

Great article Dave and thanks for posting.

I live in ACC country and have season tickets for one of their teams. They are getting exactly what the deserve in terms of football. The additions to their league were solid basketball additions, but actually make the league worse in football. Any move a conference makes should have football in mind. I don't blame the other conferences for ignoring them for football because they didn't make it a priority.

What could the ACC have done differently? They should have added WVU to their league when they had the chance and now WVU is in a league that will allow them to compete for a national championship...not a bunch of stupid hill folk as people believe. They didn't add WVU because of a half-ass reason about academics, but in reality, they didn't want to bring in a new team and immediately have them be the #1 football team in the league like what happened with VA Tech. WVU would have immediately become the best team in the ACC for football. WVU gives them more national football credibility than Pitt or WVU. WVU scored more points against LSU than any other team other than Oregon and was in the game until late when it got away. They destroyed the ACC champion in a bowl game. WVU was the choice for the ACC...they ran from them and now they are getting what they deserve.

Great article Dave and thanks for posting.

I live in ACC country and have season tickets for one of their teams. They are getting exactly what the deserve in terms of football. The additions to their league were solid basketball additions, but actually make the league worse in football. Any move a conference makes should have football in mind. I don't blame the other conferences for ignoring them for football because they didn't make it a priority.

What could the ACC have done differently? They should have added WVU to their league when they had the chance and now WVU is in a league that will allow them to compete for a national championship...not a bunch of stupid hill folk as people believe. They didn't add WVU because of a half-ass reason about academics, but in reality, they didn't want to bring in a new team and immediately have them be the #1 football team in the league like what happened with VA Tech. WVU would have immediately become the best team in the ACC for football. WVU gives them more national football credibility than Pitt or WVU. WVU scored more points against LSU than any other team other than Oregon and was in the game until late when it got away. They destroyed the ACC champion in a bowl game. WVU was the choice for the ACC...they ran from them and now they are getting what they deserve.

?

He obviously meant Syracuse.

Not unless you spend your time nitpicking every post like the worst kind of wife nitpicks her husband. Makes for the worst kind of poster. But yes, I meant Syracuse and thank you for having the intelligence to understand that in an imperfect world, mistakes get made.

This story really isn't about the rich getting richer/big vs. small fish as DiG frames it. It is a story about a conference making a horrible decsion and now it has to live with the mistake. It isn't the fault of the SEC or Big 12 or 10 or PACwhatever the ACC made a horrible decision. It isn't the fault of those four conferences the rest of college athletics can't find their A$$ with both hands. These conferences are doing exactly what they should be doing by putting more and more distance between them and the rest of college football until one day they have their own division. MAClike conferences will continue to sit back, follow Captain Smith's orders and go down with the ship instead of saving themselves. Our inaction is horrible and one day we are going to get what we deserve as well.

..... This story really isn't about the rich getting richer/big vs. small fish as DiG frames it. It is a story about a conference making a horrible decsion and now it has to live with the mistake. .....

It's both. You make some good points about specific teams and conferences. But the bigger story is that the bigger fish are creatively maneuvering to ensure that no matter how the BCS is changed, the conferences at the top of the food chain will stay there and the little fish will have even less opportunity to break through. This is all about creating a bigger gap between the four strongest college football conferences and the rest of the pack to lock up the newly created four national championship playoff positions before a game has been played. This is all about reducing the possibility of a Boise State growing bigger and emerging from a smaller school of fish to snatch food out of the mouths of the big fish.

By the way, Boise State has reportedly reaffirmed its decision to move to the Big East.

Official: Boise State firm on Big East

It's both. You make some good points about specific teams and conferences. But the bigger story is that the bigger fish are creatively maneuvering to ensure that no matter how the BCS is changed, the conferences at the top of the food chain will stay there and the little fish will have even less opportunity to break through. This is all about creating a bigger gap between the four strongest college football conferences and the rest of the pack to lock up the newly created four national championship playoff positions before a game has been played. This is all about reducing the possibility of a Boise State growing bigger and emerging from a smaller school of fish to snatch food out of the mouths of the big fish.

By the way, Boise State has reportedly reaffirmed its decision to move to the Big East.

Official: Boise State firm on Big East

But doesn't this set up a slippery slope of the top conferences will only get the top talent, regardless of academics and leaves everyone else to fight over? At least in the system now some fall through the cracks

the days of the At-Large bowl bids are over. The only way for a non-BCS team to play in a big game will have to be through the 4 team playoff system.

The Big Ten is going to announce a partnership with the PAC12 next. Expect it soon.