OU to the Sweet 16

akronzips71

Chances are we wouldn't have faced Michigan since we would probably would have been a 12 seed due to our higher SOS and power rating at the time. That being said, we may have had a tougher road as I'm not sure how we would have matched up with some of the 3 seeds.

As said in this thread and others; OU got a great draw for THEM. Michigan plays the same style as OU (no inside game, lots of 3's), but OU did a better job and played better D on them. OU probably would have beaten Temple as well, as they were an average team just like USF. Yes, luck plays into it, such as their draw and even that bad technical on the jersey grab that totally changed the momentum of the game at the time.

I have mixed emotions as I want all mid majors and MAC teams to do well, but as most I can't stand their fans or some of their players.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave: I have mixed emotions regarding OU. It is nice to see a MAC team go this far. On the other hard, it should of been us.

As for NC, I have a feeling that OU will take them. The blow of Marshall will also have psyhological impact for the team. They are ripe for picking.

Interesting that on ESPN, they referred to OU as "street fighters". If they can get away with fouling they will be very agreesive. NC is not that agressive, they play a controlled game.

I had OU for two backets but now I want them beat!!

KD needs to let a little street fighting into our team. FIERCE! OU wants it really really bad and that makes up for a lot of mistakes in a game.

DJ has played three straight incredible games. If he keeps playing like that, they will keep winning.

It is amazing that he plays in the MAC. That guy would literally start anyplace in the country, and maybe even in the NBA.

When I watch him sometimes I say:

Come on, NO ONE IS THAT GOOD. But he beat us on a three that was not even aimed, he just threw it up and it went in. NO ONE IS THAT GOOD.

But he is.

DJ has played three straight incredible games. If he keeps playing like that, they will keep winning.

It is amazing that he plays in the MAC. That guy would literally start anyplace in the country, and maybe even in the NBA.

When I watch him sometimes I say:

Come on, NO ONE IS THAT GOOD. But he beat us on a three that was not even aimed, he just threw it up and it went in. NO ONE IS THAT GOOD.

But he is.

Just so I understand, you're not saying that he'd start anywhere in the NBA, correct?

His upside is Earl Boykins (no shame in that), his downside is playing overseas.

IF OU wins a couple more games on national TV]

IF he keeps playing the same way

IF he has a great year next year

He is a first or second round draft choice.

Final Four and DJ Cooper will be a household word. Right now he has the mojo.

IF OU wins a couple more games on national TV]

IF he keeps playing the same way

IF he has a great year next year

He is a first or second round draft choice.

Final Four and DJ Cooper will be a household word. Right now he has the mojo.

NBA teams aren't exactly salivating over 5'11", 165 lb point guards shooting .357 from the field and .316 from three point range. D.J. Cooper is a volume scorer, and that works in college basketball. For a player of his size to make it in the NBA, they need to be a far more efficient scorer than Cooper is.

Maybe he makes a big jump, but I see a helluva college player who is a 2nd round pick at best.

NBA teams aren't exactly salivating over 5'11", 165 lb point guards shooting .357 from the field and .316 from three point range. D.J. Cooper is a volume scorer, and that works in college basketball. For a player of his size to make it in the NBA, they need to be a far more efficient scorer than Cooper is.

Maybe he makes a big jump, but I see a helluva college player who is a 2nd round pick at best.

Lets see what happens. If they make the Final Four, it is all Cooper.

Lets see what happens. If they make the Final Four, it is all Cooper.

Anything can happen, I agree on that. I will say that NBA scouts will judge his overall body of work, not just the NCAA Tournament. This run by OU may get him noticed more now, but his performance as a senior will decide where he ends up.

We shall see!

Final Four talk? They still have to get past UNC to get into the Elite 8. I hate their success. They are almost as worse as Can't State, and I can't root for them to have success. Please, UNC, for the love of everything that is right and good in this world, kick the Bobkittens to the curb. :nutkick:

Final Four talk? They still have to get past UNC to get into the Elite 8. I hate their success. They are almost as worse as Can't State, and I can't root for them to have success. Please, UNC, for the love of everything that is right and good in this world, kick the Bobkittens to the curb. :nutkick:

Almost as worse? I think they are worser.

Akron was just as capable of making this run as Ohio. Don't kid yourself. Losing at the last second at Evanston doesn't change that.

And really, they should've had the chance. As a conference, we didn't get the job done in raising the MAC's profile when opportunities were there.

Akron was just as capable of making this run as Ohio. Don't kid yourself. Losing at the last second at Evanston doesn't change that.

And really, they should've had the chance. As a conference, we didn't get the job done in raising the MAC's profile when opportunities were there.

Honestly any of the top 3 (Akron, Ohio, Buffalo) had the potential to win games in the NCAA tournament.

Pat Forde visited the 7 Sweet Sixteen schools within a two hour drive of Cincinnati. Here is one of the things he had to say when he got to Athens.

Like VCU and Butler before them, the Bobcats believe their presence this deep in the tournament proves that the quality of play in their league is badly underrated. Ohio has taken down teams from the Big Ten (Michigan) and Big East (USF) but only finished third in its division and had to beat regular-season champ Akron by a point in the MAC tourney final just to make the NCAAs.

Exactly. The Zips might be even better built for it in some ways, having a 7 foot center and all.

It needs to be pounded into the players' heads that they could have made the tournament anyway, if they had just won their non-conference games. The schedule was set up for it, and they blew nearly every chance they had to get a marquee win. They lost to Duquesne and Valpo, couldn't get it done against VCU, CSU, and Oral Roberts, and embarrassed themselves against MTSU and WVU. The only good wins were against Mississippi State and Marshall. That's a 2-7 record in games where they had a chance to get a win that "looks good".

Somebody needs to tell them that these games matter. The coaches still have somewhat of a residual "win the MAC or stay home" mindset from previous years where that was true. The players don't have the self-confidence to see that they are good enough for an at-large bid.

Zach, while I agree with you in general principle, I would also try to factor in some of the problems the team had in terms of new and inexperienced players, suspensions and injuries that had a bearing on some of those losses.

The history for all the games is there for anyone to look up. But one example would be the VCU game. At the time, Harney was the team's leading scorer. But he had just served a 5-game suspension, and this was his first game back. He played only 6 minutes and scored only 4 points. And many believe that Rico was the Zips most valuable player this season, and the one player they could least afford not to have at full strength. The VCU game was his first game back after knee surgery about 10 days earlier.

Without full use of their leading scorer and with their point guard and arguably most valuable player playing his first game after knee surgery, the Zips took VCU into OT before losing by 1 point.

On one level it was just a plain old loss. On another level, it was the Zips coming remarkably close to a win that many would have predicted they were unlikely to achieve under the circumstances.

I didn't really want to create a new thread for this, so since it is related to the sweet 16 I'll place it here.

This is a Cincinnati reporter's take on why the Queen City apparently takes little notice of tOSU (news to me). What is particularly troubling is his complete dismissal of local college sports in Akron, Toledo, Cleveland, etc. I really hope Dambrot, Bowden, Porter and company make this guy eat his words, the sooner the better!

I don't really know from first hand experience how Cincinnatans (is that a word?) feel about the Buckeyes, but if Mr. Daugherty is correct in describing their disdain for OSU, the city should be commended. My first inclination would be to call bullshit. I bet there are a lot of OSU honks in Cincinnati.