Jr. OL Clayton Chenault

So. LB Simeon Ikudabo

Jr. OT Joe Pachuta

So. OT Jeff Palmer

Jr. WR Antoine Russell

Sr. CB Blayther Sabbat

So. TE Matt Vogel

Sr. LB Brian Wagner

Biggest losses are obviously Wagner and Russell. Loss of depth along the OL appears to have been addressed in the incoming recruiting class.

As far as additions, these are the ones I found interesting:

WR Evonte Dunn coming in from Glenville.

Akron track star Phil Ferguson is on the team as a WR.

Cinci transfer RB Quentin Hines is confirmed.

TE Vito Sosic from Hargrave Military Academy (and Cleveland's St Ignatius).

• 3 months later...

I went through again, and updated with all the changes (in bold).

Next big update will be when the freshmen arrive. Be interesting to see if there are any surprises.

Additions:

RFr. LB Christopher Brinkley

Fr. DL Rodney Carroll

Fr. S Benny Cunningham

RFr. WR Evonte Dunn

Sr. WR Phil Ferguson

Jr. CB Malachi Freeman

Fr. QB Tyrell Goodman

Sr. RB Quentin Hines

Jr. S Chuck Kennedy

Fr. DE Albert Presley

Fr. CB DeAndre Scott

RFr. CB John Senter

Fr. TE Vito Sosic

So. RB Rayshawn Walton

Sr. QB Dalton Williams

Losses:

So. RB Karl Bostick

Jr. OL Clayton Chenault

So. C John Clay

So. K Jonathan Clevenger

So. K A.J. Fox

So. LB Simeon Ikudabo

Jr. QB Clayton Moore

So. DT DaJour Morris

Sr. QB Patrick Nicely

Jr. OT Joe Pachuta

So. OT Jeff Palmer

Sr. WR A.J. Price

Jr. WR Antoine Russell

Sr. CB Blayther Sabbat

So. TE Matt Vogel

Sr. LB Brian Wagner

I went through again, and updated with all the changes (in bold).

Next big update will be when the freshmen arrive. Be interesting to see if there are any surprises.

Additions:

RFr. LB Christopher Brinkley

Fr. DL Rodney Carroll

Fr. S Benny Cunningham

RFr. WR Evonte Dunn

Sr. WR Phil Ferguson

Jr. CB Malachi Freeman

Fr. QB Tyrell Goodman

Sr. RB Quentin Hines

Jr. S Chuck Kennedy

Fr. DE Albert Presley

Fr. CB DeAndre Scott

RFr. CB John Senter

Fr. TE Vito Sosic

So. RB Rayshawn Walton

Sr. QB Dalton Williams

Losses:

So. RB Karl Bostick

Jr. OL Clayton Chenault

So. C John Clay

So. K Jonathan Clevenger

So. K A.J. Fox

So. LB Simeon Ikudabo

Jr. QB Clayton Moore

So. DT DaJour Morris

Sr. QB Patrick Nicely

Jr. OT Joe Pachuta

So. OT Jeff Palmer

Sr. WR A.J. Price

Jr. WR Antoine Russell

Sr. CB Blayther Sabbat

So. TE Matt Vogel

Sr. LB Brian Wagner

Clevenger was on your original list of additions, now he's listed as a loss.

The kid obviously didn't know whether he was coming or going.

We will miss you Jonathan.

Clevenger was on your original list of additions, now he's listed as a loss.

The kid obviously didn't know whether he was coming or going.

We will miss you Jonathan.

Correct. He was originally on the new roster, and now he's not. Maybe he didn't make the cut in try-outs.

The GoZips roster has been updated once again. From a quick look, the position moves from the spring and this year's recruiting class have been included. Of the "newly signed" players, I only see Hakeem Lawrence and Avis Commack (no Jamel Turner, Houst, etc). Hopefully this only means there is still work remaining on getting the roster up to date.

I also don't see Arlington McClinton or Kevin Mills among others. Maybe some of the FR reported early?

I see Steve Franco is the new #5. And Chisholm is now #7! (Rossi went from #1 to #44)

The GoZips roster has been updated once again. From a quick look, the position moves from the spring and this year's recruiting class have been included. Of the "newly signed" players, I only see Hakeem Lawrence and Avis Commack (no Jamel Turner, Houst, etc). Hopefully this only means there is still work remaining on getting the roster up to date.

I also don't see Arlington McClinton. Maybe some of the FR reported early?

This is kind of a prelim roster it seems. There may still be players waiting on grades, haven't reported yet, etc.

The roster in the program guide at the first game is the most accurate.

This is kind of a prelim roster it seems. There may still be players waiting on grades, haven't reported yet, etc.

The roster in the program guide at the first game is the most accurate.

Yeah, I'm not getting too concerned about any incoming FR who aren't on the GoZips roster at this point. But it is nice to see some guys like Commack already on it :thumb: And he's listed as a corner for those of us who were curious a few weeks back.

If Avis can be the large, shut-down corner I believe he is capable of being in the MAC, I think we’ll look back and see that getting him was the key to the 2012 season and that he personally accounted for 1 or 2 victories (even if the total is only 4 or 5 like many believe is about the most to expect).

• 3 weeks later...
Jamel Turner is listed as a Junior. I was under the impression that he hadn't used any of his eligibility yet.

That puzzled me as well. I think he did enroll at Butler CC, even if he didn't see the field. So I can see how he might lose one year, but not two. Maybe getting this all straightened out caused the delay in having him in uniform? Perhaps GT or NZF can provide comment?

:bow:

That puzzled me as well. I think he did enroll at Butler CC, even if he didn't see the field. So I can see how he might lose one year, but not two. Maybe getting this all straightened out caused the delay in having him in uniform? Perhaps GT or NZF can provide comment?[/

He was enrolled at Butler CC - cant seem to find whether he played or not - but I believe there is an NCAA rule about his eligibility "clock" starting at some point - and it was probably when he enrolled at Butler. He does have 2 years left.

How is Turner any different than people like Bradon Weeden who waited until they're like 24-25 to play college football? It happens all the time, when an athlete tries a sport like baseball, doesn't work out and then plays football instead. I'm sure if Turner went to a big school he'd have no problem getting 4 years of eligiblity, especially if he never saw the field at any school other than Akron.

How is Turner any different than people like Bradon Weeden who waited until they're like 24-25 to play college football? It happens all the time, when an athlete tries a sport like baseball, doesn't work out and then plays football instead. I'm sure if Turner went to a big school he'd have no problem getting 4 years of eligiblity, especially if he never saw the field at any school other than Akron.

First of all, there's a huge difference between trying out a career in baseball and in spending years recovering from multiple gunshot wounds.

Turner spent two years at two JUCOs. Whether or not he actually saw the field, he was on the roster for one of the schools, and his NCAA eligibility clock started ticking. No big school can change that fact to give him more eligibility. If he sat at home that whole time it would be a different story, but it also might mean that he fell out of football shape.

My guess is that it may not be completely worked out. Maybe they just went through the bare minimum paper work to get him eligible and on the field..maybe I'm wrong though.

For FBS and FCS eligibility, there is a 5 year "clock" that starts whenever you enroll in any school that has a football program, no matter what level, and it starts whether you're on that school's football team or not. By enrolling in a JUCO that had a football program, this young man started his clock. If he were to go to a Division 2 program, which at that level there is no "5 year clock" and they count their eligibility by semesters of full time enrollment (you get 10) and seasons of competition (you get 4), he would likely still be able to have 4 seasons of competition. At any D1 school however, large or small, he's going to be a junior. Whether it's Akron or Ohio State makes no difference, and it has nothing to do with paperwork.

Brandon Weedon played minor league baseball, never enrolled at a school with a football program, so he didn't start his five year clock until he enrolled at Oklahoma State at the age of 23.