2013 verbal: QB Ed Stockett

Actually, it is VERY impressive to "steal" a player from Rutgers. They are a Big East school (hell of a lot more prestige than the MAC) and one of the top academic schools anyplace (don't flame me, Rutgers, which is here in the East where I am, has a GREAT reputation).

I agree about Rutgers academic reputation. I've suggested in the past that Akron should rename the school The State University of New Jersey so our alumni can claim they graduated from a prestigious East coast university.

I agree about Rutgers academic reputation. I've suggested in the past that Akron should rename the school The State University of New Jersey so our alumni can claim they graduated from a prestigious East coast university.

LMAO

I have always felt it should be Akron State University.

It is, after, a State University. Sounds better.

From the PennLive article:

Through his recruiting process, Stockett amassed a pair of offers - the aforementioned Zips and Rutgers - and had drawn interest from programs like Connecticut, Boston College, Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, Stanford and West Virginia, among others.

I wonder how they define the term "interest?"

From the PennLive article:

Through his recruiting process, Stockett amassed a pair of offers - the aforementioned Zips and Rutgers - and had drawn interest from programs like Connecticut, Boston College, Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, Stanford and West Virginia, among others.

I wonder how they define the term "interest?"

"Interest" usually means contact with coaches, whether face-to-face, phone, texting, etc.

Generally a recruit receives interest from coaches for a few months before being offered a scholarship, as they build a relationship and the coaches guage the recruit's personality and attitude to see if they'll be a good fit on the team.

Early commitments at the MAC level usually have interest from schools, but few scholarship offers because most schools haven't gotten to the level where they're ready to make an offer. Maybe he would see more offers if he stayed uncommitted longer, but maybe not. It's a gamble to wait, and if a school feels right then it's not uncommon for the recruit to commit and get it out of the way early to focus on their senior season.

Looks like he has the fade to the pylon down.

The one thing that sticks out to me, is something that I have heard TB say multiple times...."quick decision making."

I was thinking the same thing. He sure does not hold on to the ball long before making a decision and getting rid of it. Wow!

@ZachTheZip, good definition of "interest" as it pertains to colleges and HS players. I was thinking more along the lines of exactly how much interest some of these major programs have, i.e. do they automatically send out information packages to the top 100 HS QBs, etc.

A little research shows that at least one major program had more than a passing interest in Stockett. Here's what his HS coach had to say in a recent Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story:

"West Virginia wants me to send them film on every throw he's made so far this season," Ward said. "I can't see him not being a national recruit next year. I don't know what he truly lacks. Some guys are not real accurate, but have a big arm. Or they have a big arm, but they are not accurate. He has all the tools." (Obviously the writer garbled a few words on the big arm/accuracy comments.)

And there's a good description of the way Stockett operates in McKeesport's air raid offense, plus an interesting comment about who he was mentored by in this Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story:

Stockett's statistics and prototypical 6-foot-4, 210 pound NFL quarterback frame have drawn interest from colleges such as Stanford, West Virginia and Southern California. Last summer, he attended the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La., and was mentored by Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, a camp counselor.

The deeper you dig on Stockett, the more interesting things you find. For example, he has played shortstop on his HS baseball team. It's unusual for someone his size to play SS. It shows that he's probably quicker and more agile than the typical 6-4, 212-pound HS kid.

Talk on some of the major college sports forums suggests that Stockett is a little raw but could grow quickly in the right coaching environment. From his early comments about why he chose UA, it appears that he considers the Zips' new coaching staff to be first class -- right up there with the Big East.

Fingers crossed that he's a diamond in the rough.

The deeper you dig on Stockett, the more interesting things you find. For example, he has played shortstop on his HS baseball team. It's unusual for someone his size to play SS. It shows that he's probably quicker and more agile than the typical 6-4, 212-pound HS kid.

Talk on some of the major college sports forums suggests that Stockett is a little raw but could grow quickly in the right coaching environment. From his early comments about why he chose UA, it appears that he considers the Zips' new coaching staff to be first class -- right up there with the Big East.

Fingers crossed that he's a diamond in the rough.

You'll have to check to see if his Baseball team was actually good. A lot of times you hear about multi-sport athletes, they don't mention how successful they are at the "other" sport. Also, Jhonny Peralta is proof that you don't have to be agile to play SS. If that pig can, anyone can.

It seems like 90% of Bowden's recruits so far look to be the "diamond in the rough" type. The chances of even a few of them panning out isn't very good.

You'll have to check to see if his Baseball team was actually good. A lot of times you hear about multi-sport athletes, they don't mention how successful they are at the "other" sport. Also, Jhonny Peralta is proof that you don't have to be agile to play SS. If that pig can, anyone can.

It seems like 90% of Bowden's recruits so far look to be the "diamond in the rough" type. The chances of even a few of them panning out isn't very good.

you expect him to get some guaranteed gems before even coaching a game? He did what he could with the few weeks he had at the end of the last recruiting season.

So far, it seems like we have already made progress just by his name. Landing a couple of players who ACTUALLY HAD OFFERS FROM OTHER D1 SCHOOLS.

A little more info on Mr. Stockett:

According to this article, he decided not to play baseball this year, for the first time since age 5. Also says he has pro-set skills but is playing in McKeesport's option offense. (Video must have been 2 minute drill?)

linky

I was thinking the same thing. He sure does not hold on to the ball long before making a decision and getting rid of it. Wow!

I also agree with Dr Z and I'll add another description (one word): Poise

Sure this is a highlight reel and it omits the mistakes I'm sure he's made. But considering that these are JUNIOR (and before) highlights, I think he shows as much poise (or more) than I've seen in any other QB video I've seen on this web site over the last few years.