Tracking Zips Class of 2013 Senior HS Seasons

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kwan Cheatham - his Winton Woods team's season came to an unexpectedly early end last night

Elder’s game plan defensively was to try and contain Trent Donald and Kwan Cheatham (committed to Akron).

“We were trying to minimize their (Donald and Cheatham) touches,” Schoenfeld said. “We thought that would give us the best chance to win, and it worked out OK.”

Cheatham finished with 13 points and seven rebounds while Donald added 11 points and nine rebounds.

I'm excited about Kwan. Though his season stats won't blow you away, he's a 6'9" PF who, if needed, can shoot from 3. The thing about Kwan is that he just turned 17 in November, I believe. So even though he is a senior he is young for his class. I think Kwan may be a good candidate for a redshirt next year, as he'll still be only 17 when the season starts. A redshirt would give him a year to eat, lift & fill out his 6'9" frame.

Elder’s game plan defensively was to try and contain Trent Donald and Kwan Cheatham (committed to Akron).

“We were trying to minimize their (Donald and Cheatham) touches,” Schoenfeld said. “We thought that would give us the best chance to win, and it worked out OK.”

The quality of HS coaching varies wildly, from the excellent to the insane. The latter is exemplified by what a North Carolina coach with a 7-ft freshman(!) center tried to do against Gladden's team - here

The quality of HS coaching varies wildly, from the excellent to the insane. The latter is exemplified by what a North Carolina coach with a 7-ft freshman(!) center tried to do against Gladden's team - here

Gladden is going to fit right into Akron's program. A guy with his talents willing to be the sixth man is quite a statement. Another freshman who will contribute right away.

Gladden is going to fit right into Akron's program. A guy with his talents willing to be the sixth man is quite a statement. Another freshman who will contribute right away.

In looking at their box scores, they are a very good team & the scoring is quite evenly distributed. But look at the handful of close games they've had & BJG is typically their leading scorer. So he obviously demands the ball & steps up when the chips are down.

B.J. Gladden Q&A About Akron Commitment

Small Forward from Olympic High School B.J. Gladden commited to the University of Akron yesterday. Gladden is a very strong kid who can get to the basket pretty easily because of his body. Gladden also happens to have a pretty solid perimeter game. Gladden is a huge pick up for the Zips. He has the potential to do very big things from this team. B.J. had offers from the likes of Wake Forest and Xavier but decided to go with the school that may just be the most suitable for him.

Here is a quote from this:

"Q: Which basketball player do you look up to the most?

A: The player I look up to the most is Lebron James."

Looks like Lebron helped get another recruit.

Cheatham finished with 13 points and seven rebounds while Donald added 11 points and nine rebounds.

I'm excited about Kwan. Though his season stats won't blow you away, he's a 6'9" PF who, if needed, can shoot from 3. The thing about Kwan is that he just turned 17 in November, I believe. So even though he is a senior he is young for his class. I think Kwan may be a good candidate for a redshirt next year, as he'll still be only 17 when the season starts. A redshirt would give him a year to eat, lift & fill out his 6'9" frame.

Akron is getting a great player...I've had the pleasure to watch this young man for the past few years. He's 6'9 and still growing , he can play pretty much all positions. I've been told he will work out to get stronger and get ready to compete for a position coming up his Freshman year. He might be young be his skills and basketball IQ will knock your socks off.

Rumor is he will be in attendance at the Can't State on March 8th...

First off .... HS Stripes, great job of researching these interesting, informative articles. Kudos ... !!!!

Akron is getting a great player...I've had the pleasure to watch this young man for the past few years. He's 6'9 and still growing , he can play pretty much all positions. I've been told he will work out to get stronger and get ready to compete for a position coming up his Freshman year. He might be young be his skills and basketball IQ will knock your socks off.

Rumor is he will be in attendance at the Can't State on March 8th...

Kwan should benefit from a red shirt year and the great training that Akron's trainer Tim Campbell provides. He is joining

a program that will be top shelve for the foreseeable future.

@Mally Mall, many thanks for that link to that outstanding story. BJ is sounding more and more like a future Zips star. I'd say there's zero chance that he would be considered for a redshirt. BJ appears to be ready to step right in and immediately fill the vacancy left behind by Chauncey Gilliam's graduation. It sounds as if he has the ability Chauncey has shown at times to hit from the outside or fly above the rim, with the added talent of strong rebounding technique. I can't wait to see him play.

Interesting matchup for Isaiah Johnson Wednesday night when Walnut Hills meets Springboro in a regional semifinal. Springboro is led by 6-10 Maverick Morgan, who has been rated slightly above Johnson by some recruiting services. Morgan was recruited by John Groce and has committed to play in the Big Ten at Illinois. Here's what Cincinnati.com says about the last time these two teams met:

Wednesday marks the second time Walnut Hills will play Springboro this season. The Eagles defeated Springboro 63-62 on a late 3-pointer Dec. 28 at a holiday tournament.

Senior center Isaiah Johnson (Akron signee) had 29 points that game, while Springboro standout center Maverick Morgan (Illinois signee) had 25 points, according to Walnut Hills coach Ricardo Hill.

Morgan had 18 points in last weekend’s district title win over Moeller.

“(Isaiah) always steps up his game and I don’t expect anything less,” Hill said.

Couldn't help but add this one for Hannah Plybon, a Coach Kest recruit who might be able to teach the men something about free throw shooting -- 20-for-21 in a regional final victory

And guess who Hannah's Orrville HS coach is.. This might explain in part why she is becoming a Zip. For you younger folks, Mark holds Akron's school record for 3-point shots made. And ironically, his father was long-time coach at Orrville's rival, Wooster where Mark matriculated.

edit: After re-reading, it appears that it may be Mark Alberts Sr. who is Orrville's coach. Anyone have closer perspective than me (5000 mi.).

And guess who Hannah's Orrville HS coach is.. This might explain in part why she is becoming a Zip. For you younger folks, Mark holds Akron's school record for 3-point shots made. And ironically, his father was long-time coach at Orrville's rival, Wooster where Mark matriculated.

edit: After re-reading, it appears that it may be Mark Alberts Sr. who is Orrville's coach. Anyone have closer perspective than me (5000 mi.).

Correct ZIP. Her coach is Mark Alberts Sr. He was the long-time boys coach at Orrvilles rival Wooster. Mark, Jr has coached at WCAL Northwestern where he has won numerous league titles. Also, Macie Alberts was coach of the Orrville girls for about 7 years in the early 2000's. It will be interesting to see if Hannah can come in and contribute right away as a backup guard. I hope so, cause this team is going to be very good next year.