Where is Zeke?

t900442

Two games into this Mac season and Zeke has a total of 11 points and 10 rebounds (only 2 offensive). It appeared that Zeke was finally starting to put things together with some dominating games in late December, but it appears based on his recent games that he has returned to his old form. I understand that he was in foul trouble in the W Michigan game which reduced his minutes, but against a woefully weak N Illiinois team only 6 points and 6 rebounds, no blocked shots, and 2-5 on FTs? It is time for Zeke to start playing like a 4th year starter and be a leader of this team.

Two games into this Mac season and Zeke has a total of 11 points and 10 rebounds (only 2 offensive). It appeared that Zeke was finally starting to put things together with some dominating games in late December, but it appears based on his recent games that he has returned to his old form. I understand that he was in foul trouble in the W Michigan game which reduced his minutes, but against a woefully weak N Illiinois team only 6 points and 6 rebounds, no blocked shots, and 2-5 on FTs? It is time for Zeke to start playing like a 4th year starter and be a leader of this team.

With tendonitis, a cupcake opponent, and a more-than-serviceable back up center why would Dambrot play him heavy minutes?

I would suggest you either go to a game or watch one on TV or the internet to get your answer. In the WMU game, the minute he touched the ball on the offensive end, he was double and triple teamed. Same thing with NIU. Why do you think McAdams was able to go 6-6 from the field including 4-4 on three pointers.

I would suggest you either go to a game or watch one on TV or the internet to get your answer. In the WMU game, the minute he touched the ball on the offensive end, he was double and triple teamed. Same thing with NIU. Why do you think McAdams was able to go 6-6 from the field including 4-4 on three pointers.

+10000000000000

It appeared that Zeke was finally starting to put things together with some dominating games in late December

I think that's pretty much been the pattern his entire career, where we see some good point totals against some OOC cupcakes, and then the excitement that he is "breaking out" levels back off again during the course of conference play. Although, it's still far too early to tell if that will repeat itself. I've just always been particularly critical of his inability to rebound on the offensive end, which certainly doesn't help is point totals.

I think that's pretty much been the pattern his entire career, where we see some good point totals against some OOC cupcakes, and then the excitement that he is "breaking out" levels back off again during the course of conference play. Although, it's still far too early to tell if that will repeat itself. I've just always been particularly critical of his inability to rebound on the offensive end, which certainly doesn't help is point totals.

Another pattern over his entire career is that once the Zips get into MAC play (or if they go to Valparaiso), the refs tend to do whatever they can to take him out of a game.

For the benefit of those who may have missed Zeke's Mom's medical report:

He is battling tendonitis and last night he fell on the same knee. It's VERY, VERY sore...but he is getting treatments and the coaches and trainer are on top of it. I personally, would like to see him sit out NIU and rest his knee...BUT...THAT won't happen! Hoping he has a "light" practice today and just rest, rest, rest it! All is well...keep him in your prayers and LETS GO ZIPS! #TeamZeke (twitter: @mommazeke)

Another pattern over his entire career is that once the Zips get into MAC play (or if they go to Valparaiso), the refs tend to do whatever they can to take him out of a game.

That's the biggest problem he has (besides his positioning offensively). The officials are out of control most nights with their ticky-tacky calls. I can't explain it.

Zeke has been dealing with tendenitis issues and he's also getting double and tripled team.

The key to his success, however, lies in getting some of that interior pressure off of him. I don't think Dambrot gets enough consistency from his shooters to shift more of the responsibility to him, nor does he get consistency from Tree yet (emphasis on the YET) because he gets doubled a lot too. Ultimately, Zeke's success on offense will depend on which of those other elements is working best on any given night.

Just my analysis.

The current starting frontcourt lineup is Zeke, Tree and Nick. All of those guys have shown that they can score inside at least fairly consistently against single coverage. There aren't enough defenders on court at any one time to double cover all three of them at once! Those three have to work together more consistently to be in the right position when the defense collapses on one of the others. They also have to work more on anticipating the double coverage and getting it to whoever's open before they're swarmed under. Some of the best plays of the season from the frontcourt have come when one of those three players shoots the ball without hesitation when they get the ball close to the bucket before defensive help can arrive, or when the player who's not covered breaks to the bucket and gets a pass from the one who's being double-teamed before the second defender gets close enough to block the passing lanes. Right now the Zips' starting front line players perform pretty well as individuals but have more work to do on their coordinated teamwork.

I was a season ticket holder and attended all home games as well as a few road games since 2001, but I relocated to Bangkok in September and have only been able to see the Zips play 2 games when I was home for the Christmas holiday. There is no access to "watch" the games here, or even listen to them, so obviously my only visibility to results is via written recaps and box scores. That is why I asked this question, since he seemed to be playing much better in those 2 games, but since then he his stats have been less than impressive. I do find it hard to believe that any team would double and triple teaming Zeke, as he is certainly not a great offensive threat, and it would only open the door for others like Harney and Treadwell to hurt them.

he is certainly not a great offensive threat...

Zeke is also a 1000 point scorer, lead the team in scoring last year, is leading the team in scoring this year, shoots over 66% from the floor. Very hard to do in the balanced scoring system KD has directed. I consider this a great offensive threat.

The deck was stacked against this kid from the moment he committed. As you might recall, Rasor and others called him the most significant signing in the league's history and claimed he would quickly become the most dominant MAC player in recent memory. No one can live up to that hype.
Good point. I consider it TBD. My "determination" is the same as the goal that Zeke set for himself. If he comes close, I consider the hype was lived up to since his goal hasn't been reached in my lifetime. I circled this year on the calendar the day he committed. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The deck was stacked against this kid from the moment he committed. As you might recall, Rasor and others called him the most significant signing in the league's history and claimed he would quickly become the most dominant MAC player in recent memory. No one can live up to that hype.

A blogger from Akron says he's: "the most significant signing in the league's history and claimed he would quickly become the most dominant MAC player in recent memory."

Wow... what hype... what pressure. :rolleyes:

In comparison to BCS-level programs, there is no real pressure in the MAC... I don't care who the recruit is. You aren't covered in the national media. You are completely under the radar. Your foul shots are in front of 923 family and friends in Dekalb Illinois. If you score a paltry 6 points in a game, some guy from Thailand is the only person in the free world who gets worked-up over it.

I came across this article in my 'daily' browsing of all things NBA and found it quite interesting....though I do realize that the writer is just offering is *cough..cough--opinion* I found it quite interesting that Zeke is outperforming in one way or the other SEVERAL of the players he has listed...I ask that you would pay "special attention" to slides #3,5, 15 and especially 17!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1456971...ers-and-fallers

Again...its just MY OPINION (which I am entitled to) and YES I am BIASED! OH well...lol:)

+10 - I strongly agree. But, if you look at Zeke's accomplishments over the past 4 years, he may not be the most significant in league history but how many other players in recent memories can claim the following: Akron single season block shot records (freshmen, sophmore, junior, and probably senior), most blocks in a MAC tournament game 9, Most block shots in the JAR 7, MAC Conference Block Shot record (5 away), MAC Single Season Block Shot record, lead team in scoring (junior and now senior), set Puerto Rico Touranament block record 13, he's had a 14 rebound game (Las Vegas tournanment), MAC Tournament MVP, 1st MAC Regular Season Championship ring, MAC Tournament Ring, Finished top 10 shot blockers in the country (junior season), top 5 now - season season, top 10 in field goal percentage (senior season), MAC Defensive Player of the Year, will surpass Nate Linhart/Dru Joyce in points scored during career, 1000 point scorer. Shooting 67% from the floor - top 10 in the country.

For his career he should have 1150+ points 325 + blocks 650+ rebounds. (while avg. at the most 26 minutes per game - junior year)

I probably missed a few. I cannot think of an Akron player in recent history that can match these accomplishments. Dominant, no, successful, yes.

I came across this article in my 'daily' browsing of all things NBA and found it quite interesting....though I do realize that the writer is just offering is *cough..cough--opinion* I found it quite interesting that Zeke is outperforming in one way or the other SEVERAL of the players he has listed...I ask that you would pay "special attention" to slides #3,5, 15 and especially 17!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1456971...ers-and-fallers

Again...its just MY OPINION (which I am entitled to) and YES I am BIASED! OH well...lol:)

I think I saw the guy in slide 3 in person when the Blue Man Group came through town.