Arena Update

Hilltopper

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really is the biggest issue.

They need to pair up someone who's really passionate about the program and the university (not some hired person who has no ties) and someone who's a good salesman, and send them to make the rounds with local mega-millionaires and big companies.

I'll gladly volunteer.

Very disappointing if true. A lot can happen in 5 years. This should be the #1 priority at UA, yet it seems like an afterthought. Keep dragging our feet and the basketball program will fall into the dumpster just like football and potentially soccer.

Do you think you may be overstating your case?

They need to pair up someone who's really passionate about the program and the university (not some hired person who has no ties) and someone who's a good salesman, and send them to make the rounds with local mega-millionaires and big companies.

I'll gladly volunteer.

Thanks Coach Tressel, but you are being paid $200K a year to do this so I don't see your efforts as voluntary.

Tressel has ties to the University, so try again. Easy to hate 600 miles away when you have no clue how much he does on campus.

"According to a statement from the university, Tressel will identify, recommend and support strategies and efforts that promote success in all facets of student life."

“There are literally thousands upon thousands of students whose lives have been enhanced and who are successful because of their work with Jim Tressel,”

Funny, I dont see anything about being responsible to beg for donors in his job description.

Before he was even an employee, he helped us bring in the highest-profile football coach in school history during the worst time in program history. (Sorry, it isnt Faust)

Funny, I dont see anything about being responsible to beg for donors in his job description.

Actually, it's only 498.6 miles from the JAR.

Link Paragraph 2.

All I want to know is, since he was brought in to raise money for an arena, how much money can he be directly credited for raising for the new arena? It's been a year, so surely those numbers should be measurable by now. If his presence gives us good exposure, how come they aren't lining up a brief interview with him coming out of a TV timeout during an ESPN game?

its easy to fill an arena when thats about the only significant large-scale entertainment venue for 50 miles. Supply and demand...

Except that doesn't bear out when you look at attendance figures for other rural areas and attendance figures for urban areas (who is #2 in the MAC? It isn't NIU!) and the fact a large percentage of attendees of Ohio games drive down from Columbus.

Except that doesn't bear out when you look at attendance figures for other rural areas and attendance figures for urban areas (who is #2 in the MAC? It isn't NIU!) and the fact a large percentage of attendees of Ohio games drive down from Columbus.

You aren't seriously trying to compare DeKalb to Athens? A city 60 miles from Chicago sitting right on a major interstate vs a hick town in the middle of nowhere?

Athens

Ohio

Athens is a city in and the county seat of Athens County, Ohio, United States. It is located along the Hocking River in the southeastern part of Ohio. Wikipedia

Area: 8.3 sq miles (21.5 km²)

Weather: 46°F (8°C), Wind S at 5 mph (8 km/h), 85% Humidity

Local time: Monday 6:25 AM

Population: 23,835 (2011)

Points of interest: Athens Lunatic Asylum

DeKalb

Illinois

DeKalb is a city in DeKalb County, Illinois, United States. The population was 43,862 according to the 2010 census. The city is named after decorated German war hero Johann De Kalb, who died during the American Revolutionary War. Wikipedia

Area: 12.6 sq miles (32.63 km²)

Weather: 32°F (0°C), Wind SW at 32 mph (51 km/h), 75% Humidity

Local time: Monday 5:25 AM

Points of interest: Egyptian Theatre, Civil War Memorial

Population: 43,702 (2011)

Columbus Ohio Population: 797,434 (2011)

Chicago Population: 2,707,120 (2011)

I asked a friend. Five years isn't an official timeline, of course, but it's an expectation based on how slowly things are moving.

No talk of seating capacity. This is the time when things should be moving forward faster than ever, but it's not.

This is seriously your source? "I asked a friend?" Can you ask another friend for his opinion, too?

I often get different info from different sources. Professional reporters learn not to put too much trust in single sources, but to look for multiple sources to corroborate data. A recent example of a single source failure was when Hilltopper heard from a usually reliable single source that UA was leaning toward a 3,800-seat arena. This was shot out of the sky by multiple reliable sources and went down in flames. The original source was not trying to deceive, but apparently made an error in quoting the number he thought he heard.

I often get different info from different sources. Professional reporters learn not to put too much trust in single sources, but to look for multiple sources to corroborate data. A recent example of a single source failure was when Hilltopper heard from a usually reliable single source that UA was leaning toward a 3,800-seat arena. This was shot out of the sky by multiple reliable sources and went down in flames. The original source was not trying to deceive, but apparently made an error in quoting the number he thought he heard.

Down in flames huh?

Last Saturday, I was talking to two friends of mine. The first informed me that the buildings on Buchtel are slated to be razed. The other one claims that they are looking are Buchtel Field for the site of the new arena. I not saying it's going to happen, so that it is even fact. Just something I heard over the weekend.

Last Saturday, I was talking to two friends of mine. The first informed me that the buildings on Buchtel are slated to be razed. The other one claims that they are looking are Buchtel Field for the site of the new arena. I not saying it's going to happen, so that it is even fact. Just something I heard over the weekend.

Buchtel Field is not located anywhere near Buchtel Avenue. Akso, unless they were talking about the old houses east of Route 8, I don't see any building on Buchtel that need razing. The Chapel is not going anywhere, and neither is Central Hower, the CAS, Simmons Hall, Robertson Cafe, the north parking deck, or EJ Thomas. Downtown, it's all private parking lots, the Polsky parking deck, and one or two officce buildings. There's just nothing to tear down that would make room for an arena.

Buchtel Field is not located anywhere near Buchtel Avenue. Akso, unless they were talking about the old houses east of Route 8, I don't see any building on Buchtel that need razing. The Chapel is not going anywhere, and neither is Central Hower, the CAS, Simmons Hall, Robertson Cafe, the north parking deck, or EJ Thomas. Downtown, it's all private parking lots, the Polsky parking deck, and one or two officce buildings. There's just nothing to tear down that would make room for an arena.

I omitted the workld Field. All the storage and bkldgs. ion Buchtel Field are to be razed. There would be enough room for an arena at that location, and it is on campus.

I omitted the workld Field. All the storage and bkldgs. ion Buchtel Field are to be razed. There would be enough room for an arena at that location, and it is on campus.

That makes more sense, although the neighborhood isn't the best. The main entrance would be on Brown Street, I assume. Maybe some more bars would pop up across the street.

The last story I heard many months ago was that Lee Jackson Field was a leading candidate for a new arena site, and that Zips baseball might be shifted over to a renovated Buchtel Field. The Lee Jackson Field site makes sense for a basketball arena as it's adjacent to the south campus parking deck and football stadium parking. Buchtel Field is about 5 blocks from the south campus parking deck and requires pedestrians to cross Exchange. So if a new arena should end up on the Buchtel Field site, it would probably require a new parking deck south of Exchange. The block on which Buchtel Field is located is large enough to accommodate a large arena plus an adjacent parking deck.

The last story I heard many months ago was that Lee Jackson Field was a leading candidate for a new arena site, and that Zips baseball might be shifted over to a renovated Buchtel Field. The Lee Jackson Field site makes sense for a basketball arena as it's adjacent to the south campus parking deck and football stadium parking. Buchtel Field is about 5 blocks from the south campus parking deck and requires pedestrians to cross Exchange. So if a new arena should end up on the Buchtel Field site, it would probably require a new parking deck south of Exchange. The block on which Buchtel Field is located is large enough to accommodate a large arena plus an adjacent parking deck.

In the baseball thread I noted that we're playing almost half of our games at Canal Park this year. It looks as though we are moving more toward using Canal Park permanently & only needing a baseball field for practice & for those dates when Canal Park has a conflicting Aeros game.

I've always wished they'd build the arena between Infocision and Route 8. Although the was probably mean they would have to close Spicer St or reroute. I guess building it in place of LJ Field will work just as well, and maybe being closer to dorms/housing along Exchange will help.

I'm thinking it would take up most of the space from the soccer stadium to Exchange Street anyway.

Being on such a busy road would help with visibility. Unlike the JAR which is buried.