Arena Update

Hilltopper

I'm thinking it would take up most of the space from the soccer stadium to Exchange Street anyway.

Being on such a busy road would help with visibility. Unlike the JAR which is buried.

Visibility was the main reason I wanted it next to route 8. Would be a great view from the east to see a nice big arena next to the Infocision. Probably won't be seen if it were built in place of Lee Jackson Field. But at the end of the day, UA knows whats best.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some context is needed. The University Park Alliance has major changes planned for Exchange. Just check the "University Squre" segment of this video at 3:37. Then it's easy to understand the dramatic changes that will occur and thus why Buchtel Field is in play.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.ht...mp;VID=23414948

Then again, pause it at 3:10 to see just how the arena would look downtown :-)

p.s. Lee Jackson is a bad location because we'd be giving up too much coveted greenspace. This is an amenity that our campus is sorely lacking. Adjacent to Route 8 is a bad location because it borders on a dead zone that has no traction for redeveloping.

Some context is needed. The University Park Alliance has major changes planned for Exchange. Just check the "University Squre" segment of this video at 3:37. Then it's easy to understand the dramatic changes that will occur and thus why Buchtel Field is in play.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.ht...mp;VID=23414948

Pretty nice job on that one. Good thing we sold out Infocision the very first game it was open, otherwise no one would be able to use the "Full Infocision Stadium" footage.

When asked a direct question from an out-of-town caller on the Big Time Sports show this afternoon on 1350 am, Joe Dunn said that the latest news HE had heard (and it was within the last week) is that they are reconsidering a JAR facelift which would improve the overall layout but only raise capacity by a couple hundred. Maybe they feel they should strike while the iron (and team) is hot to bide themselves a little time to work on funding for a long term solution?

When asked a direct question from an out-of-town caller on the Big Time Sports show this afternoon on 1350 am, Joe Dunn said that the latest news HE had heard (and it was within the last week) is that they are reconsidering a JAR facelift which would improve the overall layout but only raise capacity by a couple hundred. Maybe they feel they should strike while the iron (and team) is hot to bide themselves a little time to work on funding for a long term solution?

Pointless. UA should not put another cent into the JAR. Unless they can add a couple thousand there is absolutely no reason to make any changes. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

I hope they do. If a new arena is not in the near future then at least find a way to make the student/GA seating more appropriate.

The JAR is not a terrible place. It needs help. The building size is good. There's a lot of wasted space in the lower bowl. Reconfigure the stands to wrap around at one end with locker room entrances at the other. Get rid of the track and place the concourse behind/underneath the seats upstairs. Make all seating permanent/fixed. Update the downstairs entry/concessions from the old ugly brown brick. A 6,000 fixed seat facility in the heart of campus wouldn't be all bad. And if the seating is configured correctly, could become an even louder and more imposing place for opponents. I forgot how fantastic that joint is when it's full. The last few games have been fun and LOUD. Invite your friends for Friday. I'm up to about a dozen people (many of which have been intrigued by my facebook posts and the national attention), all coming with me on Friday. SELL THE PLACE OUT!

When asked a direct question from an out-of-town caller on the Big Time Sports show this afternoon on 1350 am, Joe Dunn said that the latest news HE had heard is that they are reconsidering a JAR facelift which would improve the overall layout but only raise capacity by a couple hundred.
I would like to be in Tressel's evaluation this year. "So James, lets look at your first goal, did you have any success?"

I would like to be in Tressel's evaluation this year. "So James, lets look at your first goal, did you have any success?"

First of all, we have learned from his OSU problems, his employers aren't allowed to do written performance evaluations of him as they leave a paper trail saying he has ethical problems. If they did though and he received the question above, he would say:

Tressel: "Well Dr Z, I did. I successfully duped a state university into paying me $200K. In fact, I was so good at it, I would like a raise to $300K."

Dr. Proenza: "Well Jim. We can't lose you because you are so valuable. Your demands sound reasonable. In fact, how does $400K sound?"

In all seriousness, don't spend money on the JAR. Either build a new stadium, or don't. Either get people who know how to raise money for a new stadium, or don't look at one. GET PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE IN THIS KIND OF WORK!!!!!! They need to figure it out.

First of all, we have learned from his OSU problems, his employers aren't allowed to do written performance evaluations of him as they leave a paper trail saying he has ethical problems. If they did though and he received the question above, he would say:

Tressel: "Well Dr Z, I did. I successfully duped a state university into paying me $200K. In fact, I was so good at it, I would like a raise to $300K."

Dr. Proenza: "Well Jim. We can't lose you because you are so valuable. Your demands sound reasonable. In fact, how does $400K sound?"

In all seriousness, don't spend money on the JAR. Either build a new stadium, or don't. Either get people who know how to raise money for a new stadium, or don't look at one. GET PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE IN THIS KIND OF WORK!!!!!! They need to figure it out.

There's lots of talk in Youngstown that he has already been approached about YSU's open presidency. I'd say good riddance. He was worth the $200k in PR terms, but if he's not having any luck raising money with this year's team, then...

There's lots of talk in Youngstown that he has already been approached about YSU's open presidency. I'd say good riddance. He was worth the $200k in PR terms, but if he's not having any luck raising money with this year's team, then...

Jim Tressel will not be the president of YSU. He has other plans.

Jim Tressel will not be the president of YSU. He has other plans.
A family member (who I really don't trust) tells me he read in a Youngstown paper that James is suggesting to people in Youngstown that he might be in line for UA when Dr P retires. I found this tidbit in the Vindy back in Dec. which also reads that he might head coach the Browns. :lol:

I don't think any of us has any clue how good of a job Tressel is doing and it isn't really fair for us to be too critical at this stage of the game. We have no idea what is going on with a new arena or if there is any money lined up. Unfortunately, we all have to play the waiting game until an announcement is made about what the universities plans are in regards to an arena. Only then can we truly judge if he did his job.

I don't think any of us has any clue how good of a job Tressel is doing and it isn't really fair for us to be too critical at this stage of the game. We have no idea what is going on with a new arena or if there is any money lined up. Unfortunately, we all have to play the waiting game until an announcement is made about what the universities plans are in regards to an arena. Only then can we truly judge if he did his job.

Thanks for the intelligent post. :)

In terms of his primary job responsibility and the topic at hand, the new arena, I think a year is sufficient enough to ask for evidence of results.

You are correct, none of us really knows what is going on or if the money is getting in line. However, there is no information coming out. Maybe they are keeping it close to the vest (no pun intended), or maybe there is no news to feed. George Thomas has been doing a good job of covering the Zips and I'm sure this topic has come up in his conversations. I see little reporting on it from his standpoint so my guess is there isn't much to report and that is a problem for those who want the new arena. If George knew something, it would be reported as this would be a big story and he wouldn't want to be scooped by anyone.

This whole Tressel thing at UofA makes me think of the movie Moneyball. There is a scene early in the movie where the fat kid is talking to Brad Pitt in what is supposed to be the garage at Jacobs Field.

He talks about how wrongheaded the mindsets of major league teams are because they ask the wrong questions and come up with the wrong answers, or overspend for players, because of it. If you watch the movie, teams have these dinosaurs working as scouts who sign players based upon how they look and everything else that doesn't matter. We brought in Tressel for the same reasons. He was the guy who would look good to the people of Ohio. It didn't matter that he had no experience in doing the job of raising money for an arena...it only mattered that he looked good. Style over substance. That's one of the major lessons of Moneyball. Substance matters more than style. Bringing in Tressel closed the door on looking for people who could actually raise money for an arena. Like in the movie where the fat kid tells Pitt that getting rid of Johnny Damon is a good thing because it opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities, the same could hold true if YSU did indeed hire Tressel to be President. It could open up all sorts of possibilities in terms of getting someone in who can produce in lieu of looking good.

Some will call my previous post bashing Tressel. It isn't and it has nothing to do with him. His $200K is probably a drop in the bucket compared the amount of money that gets flushed down the toilet at public universities. It is bashing Dr. Proenza and what seems to some of us to be an inability to hire the right people in positions of leadership as of late. This hire reminds me of the old scout in Moneyball who asks the question, "Who is Fabio?" after the Pitt character makes a negative comment about signing players because the look like Fabio. One of the other really old scouts says, "He's a shortstop."........"Who is Tressel?"...is the answer football coach or fundraiser? He is a football coach with multiple national championships at various levels who is dabbling in fundraising. Anyone who has ever read a Jack Welch book knows, "Be cautious of the dabbler."

Since when are having a clue and being fair prerequisites for posting on internet forums? :D But seriously, people who are actually in the loop and have access to factual details are usually in that position because they've demonstrated an ability to honor confidential information. Without breaking any confidences, I'll just say that everything I've heard from reliable sources who do not post on ZN.o but who are close to the situation tends to tell a similar general story -- that Mr. Tressel is performing well in his current UA assignments, and that it would not be surprising to see him rise in the executive ranks.

Since when are having a clue and being fair prerequisites for posting on internet forums? :D But seriously, people who are actually in the loop and have access to factual details are usually in that position because they've demonstrated an ability to honor confidential information. Without breaking any confidences, I'll just say that everything I've heard from reliable sources who do not post on ZN.o but who are close to the situation tends to tell a similar general story -- that Mr. Tressel is performing well in his current UA assignments, and that it would not be surprising to see him rise in the executive ranks.

but..but...but...that doesnt fit well with 2/3rds of ZN.o's agenda/theory !!