OU at Akron

MDZip

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What still has me confused is OhioU people keep saying "Akron couldn't miss" and Ohio "went cold". I just don't understand how people can say that when the Zips only made 6 3's and OhioU made 7. Both shot in the 30% range. All the rest of the Zips scoring was in the paint which is our strength. So I guess we got "lucky"...

Espn only has him at 2minutes played. Maybe KD wanted to play the hot hands? I've seen him pull guys after making two or threes in a row however so that's not really him historically.

He came in, picked up two quick fouls and never saw the floor again. I think this comes back to the previous discussion of KD having the option to play the hot hand. Last night McAdams got most of the minutes that Gilliam usually gets.

Espn only has him at 2minutes played. Maybe KD wanted to play the hot hands? I've seen him pull guys after making two or threes in a row however so that's not really him historically.

Chauncey played two minutes, committed 2 fouls, and had a pretty sizable meltdown on the bench when he was pulled. Hopefully, cooler heads prevailed and he will be ready to go on Tuesday.

Both of the calls on Chauncey looked pretty weak. Chauncey looked genuinely amazed that he was called for those two fouls. So he may have taken his venting at the refs to the bench. Just generally speaking about Chauncey, the only time I recall anyone questioning his offense was when he was missing shots while trying to play through the knee injury. Otherwise, he's a proven scorer. If a healthy Chauncey gets reduced PT, it's more likely related to defense.

This one is funny. With all the emphasis on Social Media one Bobcats poster now refers to Akron as Hashtag Academy. Of course that's all because of their long and storied "tradition" that they would never consider such a thing. Glad we're ahead of the curve on this one.

Yep. Criticize the whole hashtag promotion...coming from a fanbase that capitalizes any ou sequence in their posts. I call dOUble dOUchebaggery on that practice. :gun:

This one is funny. With all the emphasis on Social Media one Bobcats poster now refers to Akron as Hashtag Academy. Of course that's all because of their long and storied "tradition" that they would never consider such a thing. Glad we're ahead of the curve on this one.

They can call us Hashtag Community College for all I care. It still doesn't change the fact that we #waxedthefloor with their assets last night!

#sorelosers

I had been trying to tell Ohio fans about Marshall's effectiveness this year, but they didn't want to listen. I think they get it now.

A few thoughts based on things I read:

- Obviously, there is no replacing DJ Cooper. He'll graduate as one of the most accomplished point guards in NCAA history. Stevie Taylor will not be the starting point for the Bobcats next year, though. Texas Tech transfer Javarez Willis will.

- The comments about Cooper chucking threes aren't accurate. He's on pace to finish with the fewest 3PA and highest 3P% of his career. In previous years, he could be an unrepentant gunner. This year, not so much. I knew his three attempts were coming around the time his teammates blew their fifth or sixth layup after he passed it to them. One problem with the Ohio offense is if players aren't scoring, they look to DJ to do everything. Akron made that situation happen yesterday.

- Ohio went very cold in the second half, especially from three. Aside from those two late TJ Hall threes, they were 2-12 behind the arc in the second half. Kellogg and Offutt bricked at least four very open looks in that half alone. OU is one of the best shooting teams in the country and they were held to 40.7% from the floor. That's an excellent effort.

- I don't see many people talking about turnovers. Akron only coughed it up on 17.4% of their possessions. Against a team that is always looking to take it away, that is outstanding. To me, that was one of the biggest factors in Akron's victory. All those offensive rebounds and the great interior defense doesn't mean much if you're giving it away 25-30% of the time and watching Ohio get fast breaks all day.

The Zips played top shelf basketball for 30 minutes yesterday. Very interested to see what happens in the rematch.

Also, Miami is the very definition of a road softie. That should be an easy win.

I had been trying to tell Ohio fans about Marshall's effectiveness this year, but they didn't want to listen. I think they get it now.

A few thoughts based on things I read:

- Obviously, there is no replacing DJ Cooper. He'll graduate as one of the most accomplished point guards in NCAA history. Stevie Taylor will not be the starting point for the Bobcats next year, though. Texas Tech transfer Javarez Willis will.

- The comments about Cooper chucking threes aren't accurate. He's on pace to finish with the fewest 3PA and highest 3P% of his career. In previous years, he could be an unrepentant gunner. This year, not so much. I knew his three attempts were coming around the time his teammates blew their fifth or sixth layup after he passed it to them. One problem with the Ohio offense is if players aren't scoring, they look to DJ to do everything. Akron made that situation happen yesterday.

- Ohio went very cold in the second half, especially from three. Aside from those two late TJ Hall threes, they were 2-12 behind the arc in the second half. Kellogg and Offutt bricked at least four very open looks in that half alone. OU is one of the best shooting teams in the country and they were held to 40.7% from the floor. That's an excellent effort.

- I don't see many people talking about turnovers. Akron only coughed it up on 17.4% of their possessions. Against a team that is always looking to take it away, that is outstanding. To me, that was one of the biggest factors in Akron's victory. All those offensive rebounds and the great interior defense doesn't mean much if you're giving it away 25-30% of the time and watching Ohio get fast breaks all day.

The Zips played top shelf basketball for 30 minutes yesterday. Very interested to see what happens in the rematch.

Also, Miami is the very definition of a road softie. That should be an easy win.

Great post. :thumb:

Akron has yet to play 40 minutes of good basketball in a game. They have four games to figure it out.

Sorry to have missed this game due to travel but it sounds like Dambrot has the team playing very good basketball. Akron is the clear #1 in the league and I can't see OU being able to go two for two against the Zips over the balance of the year. It'll be a couple of years before Christian has the kind of team he prefers - this OU squad is simply too focused on the 3-pointer.