OU at Akron

MDZip

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to add than what's already been said. Just got back from the BW3 afterparty Keener aluded to and I'l just add this: Even the most discriminating Zip's fans thoroughly savored today's masterpiece. I really think there was far more pressure on UA today, and perhaps that partially explains the slow start. But after that it was lights out for OU. Kudos to much-maligned Carmelo Betancourt for righting the ship when we needed it. I know the game ultimately isn't as important as the one in Cleveland, but it showed to the Zips' players themselves that this is no longer a dreaded matchup to enter with trepidation. The Wizard of Athens has been exposed. Long live the Zips!!!!!

I was thinking of this myself. I wouldn't be surprised if Deji gets some solid minutes tonight because he is the one guard that we have that is long and athletic enough to stick to Cooper.

ZipGrad...we were certainly on the same page here. But that guy ended up being Harney and not Deji.

Let me add a couple other things that really stuck out for me:

1) This was almost certainly Alex's career game as a Zip. I'm sure he really wanted to shine at some point vs. Cooper and OU. He did just that.

2) This was probably Zeke's best game ever on the glass for the Zips. Especially what he did on the offensive glass, which has often bothered me. Most of the time, rebounding is purely about desire. Treadwell has it every night. And Zeke joined him last night. And the big rebounding advantage for the Zips was probably the biggest reason for the final margin.

Speaking of, I'm loving the fact that we have an above average 4 (Abreu, Zeke, Tree, Harney) and get to play the hot hand between Chauncey, Walsh and Kretzer for the 3 ball. Not like in years past where you hoped McClannahan was on or it was going to be a long night.

Gotta throw Reggie McAdams in that group as well. He may have the highest 3 pt. percentage on the team right now. Great game by him last night. Love to see the hot hand, whoever it is, get more minutes. And it almost seemed like Zeke decided he needed rebounds and not blocks last night like he decided since he had the all-time MAC blocked shots record that he was looking for a new challenge. :)

Don't forget about how poorly they played but no credit to how we caused the bad shots and missed passes etc etc

Being at the game, you could clearly see how our length was disrupting both their passing and shooting.

Putting 6'8" Harney on Cooper up top was brilliant.

Keeley couldn't do anything but pee down his leg against Zeke.

Forsythe is going to be a true stud.

Tree is simply dominant in an almost scary type of way.

Kudos to KD for assembling such a diesel roster.

I still think we'll only see about 3500 Tuesday and that's a shame. I think we have a solid shot at 17 straight heading into Athens, though Miami and EMU aren't road cupcakes.

We should probably expect smaller crowds for a weekday game. I know I simply can't make it due to work obligations.

But I'm proud of Akron coming out to represent the last two Saturdays! And Joe Akron has been given a great show both nights!

Go Zips!

OU is soft. S. O. F. T. Marshmallowy soft.

Poor Ivo Baltic... maybe he could have contributed if they counted all his 3 point makes during pregame shootaround. Once the game started, Tree accosted him so physically I thought OU was going to have to cancel another day of classes...

:rofl:

Well said. I noted the same. Ivo Baltic worried me - prior to the tip-off. Last year his athleticism was a difficult matchup for us. He was also a difficult matchup for other teams in last year's NCAA.

But Tree just turned Ivo into nothing more than a warm body.

Good grief, Tree is beast.

Four words sum up yesterday's game; Too big, Too deep.

A few points:

Nice to get the first big one out of the way. Many more ahead of them from here on out.

Gotta love Zeke and Forsythe on the floor at the same time. Already playing a small team, so let's make it even more so.

Props to Coach for the turnaround after being down 13. IMHO, he realized it was time to use our strengths. We started going to the basket more and attacking inside. It obviously worked.

I'm surprised no one brought up their scrub back up point guard doing his bench taunting thing again. Guess he didn't notice they were losing at the time. OU in trouble next year if they don't have a replacement for DJ. To go from arguably one of the best point guards in the history of college ball to a kid that would have a hard time starting for Northern. As soon as he came in, Coach attacked him. It should be fun watching Alex abuse him next year.

Lastly, any word on Tree? Hate anything with the knee or ankle area.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet...

OU starts 4 Seniors.

Meanwhile (and I'm sure everyone else here noticed as well), the Zips were playing 4 FRESHMEN for long stretches of yesterday's game.

Crazy.

B)

Like Zipdiehard said, "Too big, too deep." Game over.

edit: Btw, I meant the Zips had four freshmen on the court at the same time for long stretches of yesterday's game. Melo, Kretzer, McAdams & Forsythe.

The future looks bright x4

B) B) B) B)

Something else that has not been brought up:

Someone sitting next to me pointed out that there were no handshakes prior to the opening tip. I wasn't watching the floor at the time. Is this true? I was even told that this has happened previously in Akron vs. OU game. I guess I haven't noticed.

If true, I really don't know what to think. I like sportsmanship, but at the same time we know those guys are punks, and I love that we may have intentionally decided to get in their heads a bit and be a little intimidating.

Lastly, any word on Tree? Hate anything with the knee or ankle area.

When I got home and watched the replay, it looked like he banged his knee on one of the OU guys knee after that jumper he made. Typical for Tree, he was going for the rebound in case his shot didn't fall. I would suspect nothing more than a bruise.

When we went in the Zips were down double digits in the first half, and I wasn't feeling good.

It didn't worry me for a second. Everything comes back to averages. OU was on fire early and the Zips did a good job of keeping the game close against a team that was on fire. Eventually, OU was going to fall back to their average shooting, etc. and the Zips, with their consistent play, were going to get back in the game.

I went to the UMASS vs UNCC game yesterday prior to the Zips game. Very good mid major game. I'd love to see the Zips play in the A-10...much better teams, much better talent on the floor, better talent at every position than the MAC and the Zips have the horses to compete. It would be a Zips fan dream. If umass can play football in the MAC and basketball in the A-10, why can't we?

Here is why the fans on this board would love the A-10.... Since there are better players spread throughout the floor, the game is something other than a foul-fest. The floor is more spread out and because of that, it is a more entertaining game. Good shooters from the outside make graceful shots. Big men not getting triple teamed and fouled so a fan can watch a big man make a good move and score. It's very good basketball. I'm going back this Saturday to watch them play VCU.

Something else that has not been brought up:

Someone sitting next to me pointed out that there were no handshakes prior to the opening tip. I wasn't watching the floor at the time. Is this true? I was even told that this has happened previously in Akron vs. OU game. I guess I haven't noticed.

If true, I really don't know what to think. I like sportsmanship, but at the same time we know those guys are punks, and I love that we may have intentionally decided to get in their heads a bit and be a little intimidating.

It is true. I watched them prior to the jump and not one handshake among the players. One of the radio announcers indicated that Chancey and someone from OU had a verbal exchange during the pregame warmup. Obviously, the teams do not like each other. Also, the opening ball toss for the jump was terrible. It was low and went to the OU player. One of the few opening jumps that Zeke did not get.

Great win. Great crowd. I especially enjoyed the upper GA student section. They were very into it. On a second half Kretzer 3, with the ball in the air I turned to watch the student section reaction and I was not disappointed: nearly the entire section came out of their seat.

Speaking of, I'm loving the fact that we have an above average 4 (Abreu, Zeke, Tree, Harney) and get to play the hot hand between Chauncey, Walsh and Kretzer for the 3 ball. Not like in years past where you hoped McClannahan was on or it was going to be a long night.

Honestly I was never worried during this game. Disappointed when we got down 13, but at that point OU was shooting 71% from the field and 60% from 3 point. I kept telling myself that OU couldn't play better and they couldn't keep it up for the whole game. Plus there's this fact:

OU is soft. S. O. F. T. Marshmallowy soft.

Poor Ivo Baltic... maybe he could have contributed if they counted all his 3 point makes during pregame shootaround. Once the game started, Tree accosted him so physically I thought OU was going to have to cancel another day of classes. Keely: pffffftttt. Nobody on that team of wanted any part of anything within 15 feet of the basket. Content to jump passing lanes to get runout baskets and hope for a high 3 point percentage. Hey DJ, keep throwing them up from the parking lot.

Lastly, props to speedo guy for making the security guard come tell you to put your clothes back on on 3+ separate occasions. I spit my diet coke on the gentlemen in front of me when, during 2nd half shootaround, you laid down in front of OU's basket, legs spread eagle, and beckoned to OU players "Hey... hey... come here... look at this."

I don't think this point can be overstated. The days of the Zips having to take a lot of 3's and hitting a high percentage to have a decent offensive output are quickly fading into the rearview mirror. This team can, should and does beat you up down low. We don't need a lot of 3's to beat a team. Timely 3 point shooting will suffice on most nights while Zeke, Tree, Harney and Forsythe dominate in the paint.

Regarding Ivo Baltic, the dude has always been charmin soft. Never seen a guy who is listed at 6'9" who is that scared to mix it up around the glass. He seems to think he is some kind of superior athlete (his athleticism is only average for his position) so he can get away with playing 15 feet from the basket and never any closer. Frankly, he wouldn't even be in the rotation on this team.

On Cooper, it doesn't surprise me that he would go into the "I'm just going to launch 30 footers until one of them hits" game that he loves so much. That has been his MO his entire career. If they are playing well he's a great teamate and a great passer, when they play poorly he goes into hero mode and starts jacking up junk from all over the arena. Then he pouts and turns into a little thug when they don't go in. John Groce allowed him to get away with WAY too much when he was at OU and from the little I've seen from Christian it looks like he is just content to the let DJ be DJ given that he is only there for the rest of this year. Kid needs a major attitude adjustment if he is going to go anywhere in life after basketball.

And just one more thought on Tree. The really scary thing with him is that I don't think anyone really knows yet exactly how good he can be. He still has plenty that he can work on to become a better player. Dude has the potential to average 20 and 10 before it is all said and done, even with the KD style of balanced scoring. I just hope for his sake that he doesn't fall into the trap that Romeo Travis, Nik Cvetinovic and other bigs have fallen for late in their careers and try to turn himself into a long range shooter. If he never takes a shot from beyond 15 feet it will be perfectly fine by me and he will likely finish his career with at least 1 MAC POtY and will be a fringe NBA prospect.

I had to go to a family dinner immediately after the game, and all I could think about during the dinner was what I wanted to say on ZN.o. And now that I'm at the keyboard, I'm almost speechless. All I can say is that I love this Zips team. I really do. I've been following basketball longer than most of you reading this have been alive. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I know how hard success is to achieve, and how quickly it can all fall apart. This team has already faced a lot of adversity this season. But they never give up. They keep coming back. If one or two or three players are off in any given game, one or two or three other players step up and fill the gap.

It's exceptional and extraordinary to have the longest current winning streak in college basketball. Everyone should savor this moment because most college basketball fans will never see their team accomplish this in 100 years. We Zips fans are all so very fortunate that we have an outstanding head coach and coaching staff who have slowly been building up the team to accomplish something like this. It's a great time to be a Zips fan.

+1!!!! I too have been a zip basketball fan for a looooonnnngggg time. I remember watching Len Paul and Harvey Glover and Randy Anderson ans Will schwartzinger (apologies for spelling)in memorial hall. As exciting as those games were they don't compare. We're not playing Philadelphia textile and Northern Kentucky, were playing and beating Can't state and Ohio U and Penn state and whoever else stands in our way.

Who ever honestly thought we'd sell out any games other than Can't or have the longest winning streak in the nation. Thanks go out to Coach D and the staff for all that.

Lets enjoy the ride and see where it goes from here.

+1!!!! I too have been a zip basketball fan for a looooonnnngggg time. I remember watching Len Paul and Harvey Glover and Randy Anderson ans Will schwartzinger (apologies for spelling)in memorial hall. As exciting as those games were they don't compare. We're not playing Philadelphia textile and Northern Kentucky, were playing and beating Can't state and Ohio U and Penn state and whoever else stands in our way.

Who ever honestly thought we'd sell out any games other than Can't or have the longest winning streak in the nation. Thanks go out to Coach D and the staff for all that.

Lets enjoy the ride and see where it goes from here.

Remember those Buffalo State games with Randy Smith? For a small college team they were BIG. Randy Smith was the only "small" (6'3") player who could outjump Len Paul. He had hydraulic legs!

I don't think this point can be overstated. The days of the Zips having to take a lot of 3's and hitting a high percentage to have a decent offensive output are quickly fading into the rearview mirror. This team can, should and does beat you up down low. We don't need a lot of 3's to beat a team. Timely 3 point shooting will suffice on most nights while Zeke, Tree, Harney and Forsythe dominate in the paint.

Regarding Ivo Baltic, the dude has always been charmin soft. Never seen a guy who is listed at 6'9" who is that scared to mix it up around the glass. He seems to think he is some kind of superior athlete (his athleticism is only average for his position) so he can get away with playing 15 feet from the basket and never any closer. Frankly, he wouldn't even be in the rotation on this team.

On Cooper, it doesn't surprise me that he would go into the "I'm just going to launch 30 footers until one of them hits" game that he loves so much. That has been his MO his entire career. If they are playing well he's a great teamate and a great passer, when they play poorly he goes into hero mode and starts jacking up junk from all over the arena. Then he pouts and turns into a little thug when they don't go in. John Groce allowed him to get away with WAY too much when he was at OU and from the little I've seen from Christian it looks like he is just content to the let DJ be DJ given that he is only there for the rest of this year. Kid needs a major attitude adjustment if he is going to go anywhere in life after basketball.

And just one more thought on Tree. The really scary thing with him is that I don't think anyone really knows yet exactly how good he can be. He still has plenty that he can work on to become a better player. Dude has the potential to average 20 and 10 before it is all said and done, even with the KD style of balanced scoring. I just hope for his sake that he doesn't fall into the trap that Romeo Travis, Nik Cvetinovic and other bigs have fallen for late in their careers and try to turn himself into a long range shooter. If he never takes a shot from beyond 15 feet it will be perfectly fine by me and he will likely finish his career with at least 1 MAC POtY and will be a fringe NBA prospect.

I agree, I am seeing Tree at 20 and 10 just about every game. OR maybe 20 and 15 with Zeke gone. Because last night he was fighting Zeke for boards at times!