Little National Love

mivid12

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“All I think about is a national championship,” he said. “It might sound crazy, but I don’t think we have anything to envy from anybody in the country. We’re full at every position. We’re big. We’re strong. We have guard play. We have shooters. There is nothing we really lack, other than confidence.” --Alex Abreu

Love the attitude! Especially from the guy that will have a LOT to do with how far we go. :thumb:

KD to be on SiriusXM's Inside College Basketball (Ch. 91) around 1:15 pm ET with Jeff Goodman and Mateen Cleaves.
Not much new for ZN fans, but that's not who the interview was intended for.

Jeff started off thanking Keith for the jersey with his twitter handle on it and stressed what a good idea the marketing campaign was. He said he has the jersey hanging on the wall and has some bet with someone about wearing it to the final four. KD told him to get in shape if he's gunna wear it.

Jeff asked Keith about Zeke, and KD immediately changed the subject and started talking about Tree & Nick being suspended at the beginning of the year and how it cost them the Oklahoma St and Coastal Carolina game. He then went back to Zeke giving him high praise. Zeke has progressed each year. This year he is stronger, and a much better offensive player. He is shooting at a high percentage, and he can do 25 pull ups, and bench 300 pounds. Laterally he is the best big man in the country.

Mateen asked about being a successful team, and having a bullseye on your chest each time you play. KD said the team is comfortable with that, and they are built like a high major because they are big, and stronger than most. They talked about how hard it is to schedule good teams and how the bracket buster helps. Keith wants the bracket buster reformatted to include just good teams.

They finished the interview by (of course) asking about LBJ. Give me your best LBJ story. Keith...I'll tell you this about LeBron, he makes his teammates better in big games. He would score 12 in an easy game to get his team involved, if I needed him to go out and score 30, that's what he would do.

Good interview for basketball fans that are not Zips fanatics. KD did a nice job promoting.

CBS Sports names the Zips near the top of the list in their story on Which Team Has the Best Chance of Going Undefeated in League Play? Not only that, but the photo at the top of the story shows the AKRowdies holding up the big Coach Dambrot cutout.

And in a clear demonstration of how you can't always rely on advanced statistics. The top team on this list. The team that had a 58.1% chance of running the table. The Florida Gators. Yeah, they lost last night to one of the worst teams in their conference.

CBS Sports names the Zips near the top of the list in their story on Which Team Has the Best Chance of Going Undefeated in League Play? Not only that, but the photo at the top of the story shows the AKRowdies holding up the big Coach Dambrot cutout.

And their most likely, Florida, just took their first conference loss of the season. Down to 12 (and three each share a conference with another unbeaten). Too bad this wasn't written a week earlier. We could have helped pare down the list.

And in a clear demonstration of how you can't always rely on advanced statistics. The top team on this list. The team that had a 58.1% chance of running the table. The Florida Gators. Yeah, they lost last night to one of the worst teams in their conference.

Statistics tell us that when we flip a coin, there's a 50-50 chance it will come up heads and a 50-50 chance it will come up tails (and almost never end up standing on edge). Yet I just pulled a quarter out of my pocket, flipped it five times, and it was heads every time. Darned statistics! But, seriously now, the irony is that the article about the odds on going undefeated in conference play was based on Ken Pomeroy's advanced stats. Yet, just a few days ago, Pomeroy posted on his blog a cautionary tale for Florida in which he said:

While Florida’s run has been impressive and unusual, it’s not unprecedented. Even with this run, they will probably lose again in regular-season play, maybe even twice. When that happens, there will be some chatter about what’s wrong with Florida. But taking a longer view, they should still be expected to lose a game. (My system has the Gators as better than 50/50 to go unbeaten in SEC play, but it’s working with an unrealistically high rating.) So there may not be any reason to freak out when they do.

It's not that the stats are wrong. It's all in the interpretation. :)

Keith Dambrot on ESPN Cleveland's Munch in the Morning Podcast

Also, in USA Today, here's a quote about the Zips:

"Team that's hot right now: Akron. Remember Ohio's Cinderella run in the Big Dance last year? Well Akron is dominating the league Ohio was supposed to dominate this season, most recently beating D.J. Cooper and Co. 86-72. The Zips are now 18-4 and 9-0 in the Mid-American. Zeke Marshall (12.6 points, 6.9 rebounds per game) is a future NBA player. Aside from its first loss of the season to Coastal Carolina, Akron's NCAA tournament résumé is relatively strong."

Even LeBron gets into the Zips lovefest per his quotes in Florida's Sun-Sentinel:

James keeps eye on former coach

James has contacted Keith Dambrot more frequently than usual.

Dambrot, who coached James at St. Vincent-St.Mary's high school, is now in charge at Akron University. The Zips are 18-4 and 9-0 in the Mid-American Conference.

"I'm following them a lot," James said. "They've got 13, 14 straight wins, on top of the MAC. They're playing some really, really good ball right now. I'm extremely happy for him. I wish I could get back home to get to a game soon."

https://twitter.com/ZipsMBB/status/299553613594906624

According to Zips Men's Basketball on twitter, local media are out and about today. Tree is having a feature on him while Dambrot is on the radio currently on 92.3 the Fan.

This media chaos all comes with the territory of being successful, but the team needs to be focused on the Miami game more than anything. We are going to see if they can handle success or if they are not there yet Saturday.

The streak really matters more than some might think. Same with LeBron. I spent my entire professional life in the news business, and I know how it works. It's really hard to reach critical mass. But once reached, there will be one heck of a big bang. The longer the Zips can keep the streak alive, the wilder this ride is going to get.