Look who showed up for open Gym

Hilltopper

Not to spark this discussion (again), but why, if someone feels LeBron's impact on the program is overstated, does it automatically make them a "LeBron-hater" due to that opinion? Isn't it possible that they may just have a differing opinion? Maybe you should paint people with such a broad brush.

What, specifically, did someone say about his impact on the program that is overstated?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does this have to turn into a conversation of whether he helps the program or not? Why can't it just be cool that the guys on the Akron team get an opportunity not afforded every other team in the country. Can't it just be that the Akron team playing with the greatest basketball player in the game is pretty sweet? Everyone on here seems like they want to argue about everything...sometimes things can just be.

It's a fatalistic, loser mentality that's sadly endemic in Northeast Ohio. I wish more people could be positive because when you put things in perspective there's really plenty to be optimistic about.

Outstanding post. It doesn't surprise me that a few LeBron haters are still hanging around, and choose to express themselves, no matter what the discussion is about. The attitudes and actions of Cleveland sports fans is a good part of the reason why Cleveland is what it is.

What is wrong with Cleveland? I think Cleveland is awesome. I live in San Diego now and while the weather and beaches are amazing it just lacks the great character and incredible history that Cleveland has. Maybe it's because I'm not originally from Ohio that I see things differently. I'm constantly arguing with negative Akronites and Clevelanders about just how great Northeast Ohio truly is.

Anyhow, sorry for going off topic. There are tons of Cleveland sports fans all over the world who are classy knowledgeable and die hard supporters.

What is wrong with Cleveland? I think Cleveland is awesome. I live in San Diego now and while the weather and beaches are amazing it just lacks the great character and incredible history that Cleveland has. Maybe it's because I'm not originally from Ohio that I see things differently. I'm constantly arguing with negative Akronites and Clevelanders about just how great Northeast Ohio truly is.

Anyhow, sorry for going off topic. There are tons of Cleveland sports fans all over the world who are classy knowledgeable and die hard supporters.

Well said. Im so damn tired of the Akron vs Cleveland inferiority complex some Akron fans have on this board. Hating on a city for losing, especially one that plays a huge role in our local economy? SMH

Cleveland is great, Akron is great. Get a life. Hating on Cleveland is just as sad as hating on Lebron.

Not being from Akron, I have no ill feelings toward Greater Cleveland. As a student, I had a lot of friends from the western suburbs & had lot of fun times with them there. The anti-Cleveland rants have always puzzled me.

Well said. Im so damn tired of the Akron vs Cleveland inferiority complex some Akron fans have on this board. Hating on a city for losing, especially one that plays a huge role in our local economy? SMH

Cleveland is great, Akron is great. Get a life. Hating on Cleveland is just as sad as hating on Lebron.

I can't make you change your opinion, but let me at least enlighten you a bit.

Trying to find any negative with having the best basketball player on the planet being associated with our program, and hanging out with our players and coaches is pretty ridiculous, compared to pointing out the most obvious faults with a city that's been the laughing stock of people across America, for decades, for a number of different reasons.

Quite a difference.

River on fire...more than once?

First major American city ever to go into bankruptcy?

A decrease in population of hundreds of thousands over the last several decades?

No major sports titles since 1964?

But, I'm sure anyone would recognize that being associated with someone like LeBron James is right up there with being a defender of the greatness of the City of Cleveland, Ohio.

And please tell how Akron's existence is so dependent upon the "booming" Cleveland economy.

For people who hate Lebron. Next time he is practicing at the JAR, just go up and ask him to leave. Problem solved. Since you obviously know what's best for our program.

The argument has never been that he hurts the program. I don't know anyone who has ever said that. The debate is the signifigance of his impact on this program. Big difference.

You know what's best for this program? Highlighting the incredible job Keith Dambrot, Rick McFadden, Terry Weigand, and Charles Thomas have done and continue to do for the Zips. Ask Zeke why he landed in Akron, and I'm sure he'll tell you it was because of the relationship he built with the coaching staff, how they made him feel at home, how the University itself was attractive to him. Ask Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney who took a chance on them when they were just high school kids with raw basketball talent in danger of dropping out of high school...who got them on the right path academically so they could get to UA...who made sure their academics continued to stay on track so they'd be eligible to play for UA and have a shot at a better future for themselves. Ask Tree specifically who helped him become the player he is today - a MAC POY candidate with a shot at the NBA if he keeps improving. Ask Alex Abreu and Carmelo Betancourt who made multiple trips to Puerto Rico to recruit them. Ask Pat Forsythe who made sure, when he wanted to be closer to home, that he didn't end up in Can't or Athens or Cleveland. Ask Quincy Diggs who stood by him when everyone else was willing to give up on him as both a player and a person.

Those who hold the belief that LeBron's impact on the program is overstated, like myself, don't do so because they don't like LeBron James or because they don't want LeBron James around or because they don't think he helps a little bit. They do so because they know how much the coaches have done and continue to do to make this a successful program. These men have taken the program to heights never seen before, and have done so while sometimes being ridiculed by their own fan base. They never stop working, making personal sacrifices along the way. They know why we're so successful, and why the recruits we have secured have come.

The best thing for this program is for the fans to give more due to them...to stop giving any more than just a small bit of credit o the program's success to a guy who shows up at practice from time to time.

I do hope LeBron keeps coming to practice, and would love to see him increase his influence with our program. But as long as Dambrot, McFadden, Weigand, and Thomas stick around, we're going to continue to have great success, no matter what LeBron James does.

Trying to find any negative with having the best basketball player on the planet being associated with our program, and hanging out with our players and coaches is pretty ridiculous, compared to pointing out the most obvious faults with a city that's been the laughing stock of people across America, for decades, for a number of different reasons.

Quite a difference.

A decrease in population of hundreds of thousands over the last several decades?

But, I'm sure anyone would recognize that being associated with someone like LeBron James is right up there with being a defender of the greatness of the City of Cleveland, Ohio.

And please tell how Akron's existence is so dependent upon the "booming" Cleveland economy.

The river last caught on fire in 1969 - 44 years ago.

The Cleveland city government defaulted on loans in 1978 - 35 years ago.

The decrease in population has been seen in several cities across America, including Akron.

Making fun of Cleveland for things that happened decades ago is like making fun of LeBron for choking in the 2011 NBA Finals - neither is really relevant anymore.

The river last caught on fire in 1969 - 44 years ago.

The Cleveland city government defaulted on loans in 1978 - 35 years ago.

The decrease in population has been seen in several cities across America, including Akron.

Making fun of Cleveland for things that happened decades ago is like making fun of LeBron for choking in the 2011 NBA Finals - neither is really relevant anymore.

Cleveland had a population of 914,000 in 1950, and has a population of 396,000 today. Yes, that's CURRENT information. They've lost nearly 2/3 of their population, and 17% of that loss was in the last decade. Care to even remotely compare that to Akron? Are you serious?

I can tell by the last sentence that you may just be your classic LeBron hater. Go ahead and call him a choker. I'm sure you were wearing your Maveliers shirt, your OKCLE shirt, and whatever shirt they were all wearing this year, while LeBron was wracking up 2 titles, 2 more MVPs, and Cleveland fans were still worshipping the promises of idiot Dan Gilbert. Going back to my original post on this topic, it just amazes me that some people are still hanging on so tightly to the "I'll say anything negative about LeBron, any chance I get, no matter what" mentality. Again, it's what makes Cleveland.....well.....Cleveland.

Cleveland had a population of 914,000 in 1950, and has a population of 396,000 today. Yes, that's CURRENT information. They've lost nearly 2/3 of their population, and 17% of that loss was in the last decade. Care to even remotely compare that to Akron? Are you serious?

I can tell by the last sentence that you may just be your classic LeBron hater. Go ahead and call him a choker. I'm sure you were wearing your Maveliers shirt, your OKCLE shirt, and whatever shirt they were all wearing this year, while LeBron was wracking up 2 titles, 2 more MVPs, and Cleveland fans were still worshipping the promises of idiot Dan Gilbert. Going back to my original post on this topic, it just amazes me that some people are still hanging on so tightly to the "I'll say anything negative about LeBron, any chance I get, no matter what" mentality. Again, it's what makes Cleveland.....well.....Cleveland.

Why can't everyone simply be thankful that LeBron stops by, is nice to everyone, helps the Zips players with not only his comments, but his attitude and work ethic? I've never seen a people with such negative attitudes; Lebron is an all time basketball great; how much financial donations he makes is his business. He owes the U of Akron Zip! Quite frankly, with all the small minded, negative attitudes that seem to populate the area I'm amazed he comes back to get exposed to it.

KD and his staff are the Reason the Zips are the flagship of the MAC in mens basketball. LeBron is just a wonderful positive influence simply by example. Workaholic who is unselfish on the court, even on the court, in the JAR with the Zips players.

Please try and enjoy it for what it is.....

If you want to complain, complain about attendance & wood bleachers in the C- facility lovingly called the JAR.

Why can't everyone simply be thankful that LeBron stops by, is nice to everyone, helps the Zips players with not only his comments, but his attitude and work ethic? I've never seen a people with such negative attitudes; Lebron is an all time basketball great; how much financial donations he makes is his business. He owes the U of Akron Zip! Quite frankly, with all the small minded, negative attitudes that seem to populate the area I'm amazed he comes back to get exposed to it.

KD and his staff are the Reason the Zips are the flagship of the MAC in mens basketball. LeBron is just a wonderful positive influence simply by example. Workaholic who is unselfish on the court, even on the court, in the JAR with the Zips players.

Please try and enjoy it for what it is.....

If you want to complain, complain about attendance & wood bleachers in the C- facility lovingly called the JAR.

everybody can't be happy b/c everybody doesn't think the same....there are certainly intangible benefits when lbj shows up for open gym....i'd be more impressed with a tangible benefit...(aside from unis)...otherwise it's just open gym basketball

Quite a difference.

Keep bashing Cleveland. And Akron is the rubber capital of the world right?

This is pointless. If you live in Northeast Ohio and don't take advantage of the great sports and cultural institutions that BOTH Akron and Cleveland offer, then you're missing out on life.

• 3 weeks later...
This line kind of stood out -

Ohio State is one of three basketball programs outfitted by James' Nike line, along with Kentucky and Miami.

(sigh)

Ouch. That's a diss... by Yahoo!

While Columbus State is an LBJ school, like Miami, Kentucky and AKRON, it doesn't look like LeBron had anything to do with that locker. That's simply a good idea/move on Columbus State's part. We should have thought of that first. 'Bron actually runs ball w/ the Zips & is friends w/ many of the players.