Game#5 Bowling Green

lance99

As disappointing as it is to lose week after week, this team isn't that good yet, but I believe they are much better than in past years it just isn't showing up in wins and losses yet. That was a damn tough opening schedule, UCF almost took out #12 South Carolina, Michigan is Michigan (although I do not think they stay in the top 25 at the end of the year, even though they have a soft schedule, did you see what Buffalo did the Connecticut a week after Michigan struggled with them?), Louisiana didn't play this week but they haven't looked too bad to start and then we probably the #1 and #2 teams in the East and then NIU who is #23 in the AP poll (tehy'd beat Michigan right now and they just pummeled Purude) coming up. That's a rough start and the Zips could be looking at a 1-6 start. It gets much better after that, I believe the Zips are superior to Miami, Can't State and UMass. It's going to get worse before it gets better but the team (and coaches) have not quit, they are still playing their hardest every single game and that's all I can ask for right now. The wins will come, just continue to fight every week. We will upset somebody along the way here (could even be this week). On the bright side we haven't even been mentioned in the Bottom Ten yet. :)

And I think the MAC might have a vested interest in NIU doing well again. Their crossover games are Akron, Can't and UMass. :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tired of being reminded about how terrible the team was in the past. I don't want to remember that crap.

It's time to look forward, and stop comparing things to a team that set the lowest bar in the history of sports. It's time to expect to beat some of these teams. Why isn't that a reasonable expectation?

I'm tired of being reminded about how terrible the team was in the past. I don't want to remember that crap.

It's time to look forward, and stop comparing things to a team that set the lowest bar in the history of sports. It's time to expect to beat some of these teams. Why isn't that a reasonable expectation?

It isn't. I keep reminding myself to take a step-back from the cliff...because I predicted a 1-4 begining with an upset against Ohio at home. I look to each game as being "The Game" and get strip teased...We still have a good 4 wins in us. Mark my words!

Because many of those players are still on the roster.

it concerns me that Coach Bowden says that BG "overpowered" us. Link.

We're not going to get much bigger than DT's Caponi (SR 6-3, 278), Grice (SO 6-1, 283), Hollis (JR 6-1, 295) & McCray (SR 6-2, 318) or DE's James (SR 6-3, 250), Capi (SR 6-3, 249) & Presley (SR 6-2, 223).

Looking at all of those Seniors, if our DL is getting "overpowered" this year...? Uh, oh.

I'll just keep posting. Problem with bringing in 'one and done' guys who play means underclassmen sit and get no experieince. So,next year ya start over....again.

What is really troubling about this team(aside from the play calling,the secondary etc,etc) is how the offense has regressed. You have to put up 4 TD's per game to just be competetive in the MAC. The offense ain't cuttin' it. The games they put up that many was a win,against an inferior opponent an almost shocker and a loss. But they were competitve in a game that they needed to win. I've seen enough of Chisholm. The O line seems to have taken a step back. The QB play is not consistent. Neither is the offense. Wideouts are serviceable if they can get the ball to them ACROSS the line of scrimmage. The offense wastes too many plays. Pohl is dinged and that doesn't help. The MAC schedule is not kind. Akron is not 'superior' to any team they will play. They are certainly not 'superior' to Can't State. The best shot is Miami. Have a chance with UMass but that is on the road also.

Oh well,Saturday is another day.

I'll just keep posting. Problem with bringing in 'one and done' guys who play means underclassmen sit and get no experieince. So,next year ya start over....again.

Overall I agree with what you post, but I'm ok with one and done's. In the end it's more competition, and the younger guys have to work to push them out. Competition breeds excellence. Top programs plug new guys in each year, so I think it's ok.

I wouldn't say this is a one-time deal either. We should always supplement the roster with these guys. There will always be guys who just didn't catch on at a bigger place. If Terry makes us a nice landing spot, so be it.

If Coach Bowden can't turn the Zips into a winner, where does he go from here? And if he can't get it done, at some point does UA becomes the college football world's symbol of "no coach can turn it into a winning program?" And if that should ever occur, will some brilliant young coach take up the challenge and succeed? These are the kinds of questions that long-suffering fans ask themselves. And the biggest question of all is how many of us will still be alive to witness the final triumph if and when it occurs?

If Coach Bowden can't turn the Zips into a winner, where does he go from here?

@ DIG: Back to a cushy TV gig.

@ Other People:

Bowden will make the Zips a winner. I have no doubt. He works hard, and he knows how to get the job done. It will simply take time. There are no shortcuts.

Bowden needed to take-on 5th year seniors. Otherwise we'd be getting absolutely killed with true Freshmen of defense instead of James, Capi and Mizell (as only 3 examples). As time goes on, the reliance on these transfers will wane, and they will be replaced by 5th year kids recruited by the Zips out of high school.

Bowden and Milwee make mistakes. Zips football fans are allowed to discuss the game strategies and results just like any other fans. Bowden coached at Auburn. He can take it.

Bowden will turn this around. The problem is we were much worse off than many thought. I know that is hard to believe when we only won 1 game, but it's true.

Going forward the 5th year transfers should get fewer and fewer and only to fill smaller holes rather than complete position groupings.

Whack-a-Zip...By George M. Thomas

Beacon Journal sports writer

Zach D’Orazio makes the offense go. L.T. Smith got in another big play in the form of a 51-yard touchdown, but it’s clear that if D’Orazio is taken away, the Zips struggle. He is Pohl’s go-to guy. He caught just three balls Saturday, and the Zips offense struggled in the process.

I could only watch on tv last week, so you really can't tell whats going on. If BG was truly taking D’Orazio out of the game, do what Belichick used to do to teams that focused on Welker in the slot. Run routs under D’Orazio's rout. The tight end, running back, or other receivers will be open. Use the defenses aggressiveness against them.

Bowden needed to take-on 5th year seniors. Otherwise we'd be getting absolutely killed with true Freshmen of defense instead of James, Capi and Mizell (as only 3 examples). As time goes on, the reliance on these transfers will wane, and they will be replaced by 5th year kids recruited by the Zips out of high school.

I agree completely. The difference between BG scoring 61 and 31 on the Zips is fifth year seniors. The losing is ugly, but even uglier losses hurt recruiting even more.

Playing freshman and sophomores for the sake of "experience" while giving up enormous amounts of points is not the type of experience these kids need. They would also stand the risk of serious physical damage from playing in games for long periods they are not physically capable of playing.