First game three weeks from today!

akronzips71

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@akronzips71, I love your enthusiasm for Zips basketball. You're not alone. I like Zips basketball so much that I'm actually looking forward to sitting in the JAR. :D With the loss of Zeke and three other key players, the Zips are once again underdogs in the MAC. I love it. I can't wait to see the return of Q, the power of Tree and all the other magical tricks that Coach Dambrot is going to pull out of his hat.

@akronzips71, I love your enthusiasm for Zips basketball. You're not alone. I like Zips basketball so much that I'm actually looking forward to sitting in the JAR. :D With the loss of Zeke and three other key players, the Zips are once again underdogs in the MAC. I love it. I can't wait to see the return of Q, the power of Tree and all the other magical tricks that Coach Dambrot is going to pull out of his hat.

Did I miss something? Underdogs? Didn't you mean Uberdogs?

p.s. You failed to mention Big Dog ... !!!!

@GoZips, yes, you missed something. You missed that most of the sports prognosticators who've posted 2013-14 season previews do not rank the Zips #1 in the MAC. That means the Zips are back where they belong as underdogs, regardless of whether or not Big Dog is leading the pack. So all the players should keep those big old familiar chips on their shoulders. It's understood that the Zips are perpetually ranked #1 in the annual GoZips MAC season preview. :D

We're not underdogs, and haven't been for about a decade.

No big surprises at media day. The one thing I learned today was the rule changes for this season. The referees are being instructed to call more contact fouls this season. If you are defending your man away from the basket and put your hand on him more than one time to establish a defensive stance you will be called for a foul. KD predicts a lot of long games with lots of fouls called until everyone adjusts. The NCAA is emphasizing offense.

On the other hand, it should give Q an advantage at the offensive end. I think it gives an advantage to any player on the perimeter that has a quick first move towards the basket. It should help the better teams and really scare the weak defensive teams who rely on touch, push, grab and hold maneuvers to keep up in contact with the quicker players.

I think it will be an issue for Q, and I absolutely hate it. Last I checked, the NCAA is legally a non-profit. Non-profit my ass.

No big surprises at media day. The one thing I learned today was the rule changes for this season. The referees are being instructed to call more contact fouls this season. If you are defending your man away from the basket and put your hand on him more than one time to establish a defensive stance you will be called for a foul. KD predicts a lot of long games with lots of fouls called until everyone adjusts. The NCAA is emphasizing offense.

Since KD is on the Rules Committee this was no surprise to him. In practice the kids seem just as defense oriented as ever.

The rule is arm's length for defense. I heard six feet which is IMPOSSIBLE considering the size of a half court. The reality

is that the coaches want to eliminate the constant hand checking which impeded the ball handler.

There is a controlled scrimmage Friday with officials. It will be interesting to see how they make calls.

The most interesting thing about today's Media Day, to me: None of the media types have any real clue as to the depth and

quality of this year's team. Interestingly, they failed to grasp just how good Akron is. Even when told by Coach Dambrot they

discounted the information.

Harvey Glover and Leonard Paul understood and both called the Zips a near top twenty-five team at this point in the season.

They have to be forgiven their views since both of them have watched the Zips practice more than once. Today was Elton

Alexander's first look at the Zips. He was chirping how good Ohio looked against Xavier in a controlled scrimmage.

Uberhunds with their own Big Dog. For clarification the media wonks learned that Big Dog wants to be known as Big Dog.

A little trivia on the MACC game to get the season off and running.

1. The MACC started in 1980. Who has won it the most times?

2. Who has the best winning percentage overall in the tournament?

3. Four teams have appeared 32 times in the tournament. Which of this group is not among them?

Ball State; Ohio; Can't State; Miami; Eastern Michigan

4. Who has the most losses in the Championship game?

5. Who has the most appearances ever without winning the championship?

Answers below:

1. Ball State with 7

2. The Zips! with a .606 percentage (20-13).Think where that percentage was 7 years ago.

3. The Flushes have only appeared 31 times.

4. Miami with 7, Can't State right behind them with 6

5. BGSU, 31 appearances, no titles.