2014 commit: SG Jimond Ivey

Apparently he's a combo guard who can play both the 1 and the 2. Triple Double Prospects had a nice review of his play in which they said they were impressed with his combination of athleticism and skills.

Jimond Ivey – ’14 Cleveland Glenville SG: Our friends at 3rd Coast Hoops had been talking up Ivey pretty good to us for the past few months, and we’ll give them credit, he was excellent on Sunday. The virtually unknown scoring wing out of Cleveland is a dominant athlete that can really get to the rim off the bounce and find ways to score. For a player that relies on his athleticism Ivey is also more skilled then you would think, showing good vision as a passer, enough of a jumper to keep the defense honest and an above average handle in transition. TDP was also impressed by his competitiveness and vocal leadership, especially at a showcase event where you don’t always see emphasis on team play. Look for Ivey to be one of Ohio’s breakout seniors and for his recruitment to pick up soon.

I've spent hours searching for everything I could find on the internet about Jimond Ivey. My gut tells me he's worth a gamble as a late bloomer who could develop into a major contributor. The only problem I have is that all the good reports about him are as a 2 guard or wing. I just can't find anything about his PG abilities. That's not to say he couldn't play the 1 at the D1 college level. But it's a big gamble for next season when he's a true freshman.

The current situation is that the Zips have 2 PGs (Melo and Nyles) who need to be supplemented at the point by a wing (Q), who's in his final season at UA. Since Q will not be available to backup the 1 next season, the scenario is that either Melo and Nyles will handle the position without backup or someone else will take Q's spot as a backup 1. I just can't find anything that gives me any confidence that Jimond can do that at a high level as a true freshman.

So I'm left to wonder if this is the ultimate solution to the PG situation at UA next season or if there's something else percolating?

If things stand as is, I wonder if Ivey will play immediately.

The odds against a HS combo guard better known for his scoring than his PG abilities making a significant contribution as a true freshman PG on a D1 college team are pretty overwhelming. Then again, I've yet to see a proposed solution to next season's PG situation that doesn't carry at least a fair amount of risk. Even @Hilltopper's speculation about a 5th year senior transfer who could play right away would mean a stranger unfamiliar with the Zips system trying to develop good chemistry with the rest of the players.

I think you meant to say Cristen Wilson. How did the two of them look size wise?

Thank you for the correction. My bad.

Size-wise, i didn't walk beside them, but saw them on the floor from my bleacher seats. Cristen Wilson looked like a wing, perhaps 1-2 inches shorter than ideal. Jimond appeared to have good size for a 2-guard, great size if he'd play the 1. Not only would I believe he's a legit 6'4", but he's "long"; just an ideal basketball frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone know if Jimond is practicing with the team? (If greyshirts are able?) If so, how does he look?

I can't wait to add both Jimond and Joshua Williams to our back court next year. Just absolutely filthy. :rock:

I can't wait to see Ivey. He really looks like something special.

not trying to be a downer on Ivey, but if he was as good as some of you think he will be, why would he be greyshirted? Not that its a bad thing at all because both are nice players as freshman, but KD chose to go with Jackson Jr. and Robotham over him.

not trying to be a downer on Ivey, but if he was as good as some of you think he will be, why would he be greyshirted? Not that its a bad thing at all because both are nice players as freshman, but KD chose to go with Jackson Jr. and Robotham over him.

I think it was more grades than talent. Similar to what Harney and Tree had to do but I could be mistaken.