Game #4 Pittsburgh Panthers

Dr Z

As bummed as I was last week I think I'm that happy for the program this week. I watched the first half on my computer but had to be in the car and at a birthday party for the 2nd half. I left the birthday party (my daughters) and listened to the last 6 minutes in the car. Great win! Congratulations Zips. Was it the helmets? I think it's in the helmets! Keep wearing the helmets.

I just don't know what to believe anymore now that GP1's Zips football predictions have proven so unreliable.

I'm glad I was wrong. At least i have the balls to make a prediction. Looking forward to the rest of the season. And a successful one at that.

What a game plan. Looks like coach Bowden may have got some word from this forum calling for Hundley to be to the go to guy. Defense played outstanding.

GP1- good predictions leading up to the game this week. Hope your wife was watching with you.

Go Zips!!!

We weren't watching but look forward to continue to be the object of your obsession.

... At least i have the balls to make a prediction. ..

Yeah, at some point after my teenage years I found that balls can be pretty unreliable in guiding predictions. But I really didn't mean to question your balls or your knowledge of football. I believe you are more astute about the technical aspects of football than the average bear, and I do pay attention to your analyses. I think if you'd ignored your balls and looked at this a little more analytically you'd have concluded that the Zips had a realistic chance of outperforming Pitt if everything went right.

Yeah, at some point after my teenage years I found that balls can be pretty unreliable in guiding predictions. But I really didn't mean to question your balls or your knowledge of football. I believe you are more astute about the technical aspects of football than the average bear, and I do pay attention to your analyses. I think if you'd ignored your balls and looked at this a little more analytically you'd have concluded that the Zips had a realistic chance of outperforming Pitt if everything went right.

I make some of the worst predictions on the board. Everything went right today.

Yesterday was a great game, but a word of caution is necessary. Things are never as good or as bad as they appear. Our running game may not have been as bad as it appeared and it probably isn't as good as it was yesterday. The most positive sign about our running game is it had a huge game yesterday against a defense that spends all of the time practicing against a team that tries to have a great running game and is committed to it. A very positive sign.

how awesome was the win to see?

Yesterday was an awesome day for a lot of reasons.

I always thought Bowden was a year behind of where he wanted to be. Now, I think he is only a half of a year behind and we are going to see a lot of winning the remainder of the year. The first half of last year was brutal. We still had a developing program and were thrown against one of the most difficult series of games I can ever remember a Zips team having to play. They were overwhelmed, but got the second half of the season turned around. Now they are 6-3 in their last 9 with a chance of being 9-3 in their last 12.

Now that I'm done celebrating and recovering, ill post my in-depth thoughts on the game.

Wow. What a great game plan by the coaches. Its clear on defense that they focused on stuffing the run and wanted to make the unproven QB beat them, and it worked! We shut down Conner more than anyone has so far the entire season, we didn't let Boyd get loose. Secondary played great, d-line got some pressure, LBs filled holes, and the whole unit tackled well. We especially impressed with Brown, Givens, Scott, and Mizell. Was great to see Pittman make some plays as well. Great job defense!

Offense. Feels great to finally have established a running game. I've been calling for Hundley to be the main back for some time now. He isn't a home run threat, but he is a sure beat to always grab a few yards and break a tackle or two. We just need to keep the D honest to open some passing lanes. Great game Conor. Chisholm probably sealed his own fate with that fumble late in the game. Good hustle by Goodman to get the recovery. It is good to see MTB come along. He has had a pretty solid season so far, and to me, is slowly developing into that big play WR that we need. I like when the ball gets in Bickley or Williams hands, but catch the ball first guys! D'Orazio is D'Orazio. The most consistent bet we have on the team. Pohl could have played better, but made some key throws to allow us to win the game. He would look a whole lot better if the number of drops went down.

I have to make a separate paragraph for this. Props to the coaching staff for getting over the stubbornness and going under center in a power football formation in short yardage situations! Loved seeing Grice get not one, but two touchdowns. Way to hold onto the ball big fella.

Zach Paul had a hell of a game. Dont see a way this dude won't make it in the NFL. Stein still scares the hell out of me. I hold my breath just watching extra points.

My biggest takeaway from the game to improve on is that we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Catch the ball, line up right (cost us two TDs), be aware of the clock, enough with the dumb personal fouls, recover fumbles, etc. Make winning football plays. I had us at 7-5 assuming 1-3 in nonconference. An 8 win season is looking nice right now.

Offense. Feels great to finally have established a running game.

Good post. However, I would caution against using the word "established" to describe the Zips running. They had a great game on the ground yesterday, but haven't had much success other than that. We should start to call it established if this trend continues over the next 3 weeks.

Zippy ..... I'm serious when I say that I really feel something special coming together .... Coach Bowden and staff have been right on point thus far with everything they have told myself and my son and do seem to have a plan. They seem to realize the ups and downs of rebuilding and I was most impressed with the way they reacted to the Marshall drubbing.

There biggest point so far in recruiting my boy has been to find good kids that KNOW how to win and what it takes. From the weight room to the practice field to the classroom.

Just seems way more believable than comfortable than all the other schools that have been recruiting him

Zippy ..... I'm serious when I say that I really feel something special coming together .... Coach Bowden and staff have been right on point thus far with everything they have told myself and my son and do seem to have a plan. They seem to realize the ups and downs of rebuilding and I was most impressed with the way they reacted to the Marshall drubbing.

There biggest point so far in recruiting my boy has been to find good kids that KNOW how to win and what it takes. From the weight room to the practice field to the classroom.

Just seems way more believable than comfortable than all the other schools that have been recruiting him

I agree with this. From the moment I heard coach speak, I knew we had us a winner. Lose Big, Lose Small, Win Small, Win Big. Recruiting players who can win whatever it takes, wherever it takes...and bringing in transfers who can fill in while they develop talent. That is the template for building a winner and Bowden and company are bringing us a winner.

Enjoy the ride Zips fans, it's going to be a fun year.

• Like 1

Coach Bowden deserves all the credit he gets on this forum. I'd just like to see Coach Amato's name mentioned more often. The Zips defense held high-scoring Pitt to just 10 points, which no one in their wildest dreams saw coming. As great an overall job Coach Bowden is doing with the whole team, Coach Amato should get a ton of credit for what he's done with the Zips defense. I hope he plans to continue coaching until he's at least 75.

• Like 1