Game #3 Marshall Thundering Herd

Dr Z

Anyone know the estimated ticket sales ? ............ My son will be coming for his official visit and I hope the game day atmosphere will be good

Marshall usually brings a large crowd. Should be a good day. Plenty of available seats.

Ticket Sales

Buy your tickets now and you won't have to stand in line.

My source tells me the offense has been practicing a lot of 0 backfield blocking schemes. Read into that what ever you want. B)

I like to think I know a good bit about football, but I admittedly have no clue what this is intending to mean. 5 wide? If so, doesn't seem like big news really.

My source tells me the offense has been practicing a lot of 0 backfield blocking schemes. Read into that what ever you want. B)

If true, here is what I read into it. Lack of attention to the running game. I don't want a run first team, but a team with a 2014 balanced offense.

I like to think I know a good bit about football, but I admittedly have no clue what this is intending to mean. 5 wide? If so, doesn't seem like big news really.

There are three personnel packages that employ a 0 back offense, 00, 01, and 02.

00 would be no RB, no TE, and five WR.

01 would be no RB, one TE, and four WR.

02 would be no RB, two TE, and three WR.

A couple of weeks ago on the coach's show he made a comment about the QB leading the team in rushing at Akron, I thought a 0 package might be in the Zips offensive future. The red zone becomes an issue when running 0x as your "base." Obviously you change out of a 0x based package when you enter the red zone, but the lack of reps sometimes becomes an issue.

Go back and look at my photography from the Howard game. Look at the first offensive set compared to what personnel package Tommy Woodson was given in the same game after the "dogs" were called off. Watch the substitutions on both offensive teams during the game to see how the packages change. You will start to recognize situational trends and how teams adjust. One analyst on the NFL sirius radio keep track of how many times each personnel packages are used by each team on Sundays. Here is an example of Scott Linehan's offense (Cowboys) first week 11 Personnel (51.62%) 12 Personnel (19.74%) 21 Personnel (13.26%). Here are the 2013 numbers from every NFL team. BTW, PFF is awesome to show what player is grading high and low each week.

Don't count out running the ball out of a 0 package. QB sneak and end around are effective in this package. You can also audible into a 1 package, if you have a WR that can either run, or block (blitz pick up)....or have a TE, that can also play fullback/h-back. Lot's of options that are mainly based on the talent you have on your team. Going to this sort of package might be what people like to say, "playing to your strengths." Maybe AJ and staff, have discovered tape of the Herd D struggling with this package. Maybe they just wanted to install this package for future use, and had the time to do it during the bye week.

Again I apologize for the Steeler reference, but it's what I know. Back when Ken Whisenhunt (successfully) run the Steelers offense he used a lot of 00 personnel. I loved it. Since then, they have not run it. This year I noticed the 00 personnel set has returned on a few series. Maybe Snoop is the difference. ;-) The Dri injury has probably limited the use of the 00. Dri gives a QB good options out of the 00, to audible into the 10 easily. Right or wrong, this is one of the reasons the Steelers placed value on his skill set. Edit: They get Lance Moore (Toledo) back this week. Let's see if we don't see some 00 against the Panthers on Sunday night. Hopefully it's not when they are down 21.

If this subject interests you, I recommend this book. Take Your Eye Off the Ball, is a book that takes you inside a coach's mind as he builds a roster or constructs a game plan, to the line of scrimmage with the quarterback, and the chess match between offense and defense. There is an entire chapter on personnel sets and what you can learn when you watch other things than just the ball. I heard a former NFL player yesterday say "you can only learn about 20 percent of what is going on when you watch a game on tv." When you are at a game, you have the opportunity to "take your eye off the ball" and learn whats really going on...if you know what to look for.

• Like 1

Their board is rather hilarious when you look at their analysis of our team and the potential outcome of the game. Some of their fans think that they will hang 60 on us! They are a delusional bunch over there. I kind of enjoy them thinking that we are still the same pile of dog shit team we were a few years ago. I can't wait until Saturday.

• Like 1

I also didn't realize we must have had to forfeit one of last year's wins (apparently):

It was hard to measure just where the team stood. Midway through three straight 1-11 seasons, prior to 4-8 last season, losing and inevitable injuries began to wear the team down

And it was nice of him to lump CAA doormat Rhode Island, a team that nearly joined the freaking Northeast Conference (well, UA nearly did that once as well), in with the MAC.

I also didn't realize we must have had to forfeit one of last year's wins (apparently):

And it was nice of him to lump CAA doormat Rhode Island, a team that nearly joined the freaking Northeast Conference (well, UA nearly did that once as well), in with the MAC.

Wow. I stopped reading after the Morgan State error. I should have known to expect more.

George Thomas: Quirky Schedule & Notes

Bowden received the news that Tommy Brown had received his waiver to play this year moments before departing from Penn State. A mystery exists as to where Brown, who played some at PSU, will play. He is listed at the top spot at right tackle, but Bowden didn’t sound definitive about where Brown would line up. “I see him being where we most need him,” Bowden said. “Our needs are at tackle, but I also think he can play the guard position.” That’s as much clarity as he provided. “You’ll know it on the first play, I guess,” he said. Note: Dr Z sees the need at tackle.
Junior kicker Robert Stein has reclaimed the job he lost to freshman Tom O’Leary in fall camp, Bowden said.

Bowden received the news that Tommy Brown had received his waiver to play this year moments before departing from Penn State. A mystery exists as to where Brown, who played some at PSU, will play. He is listed at the top spot at right tackle, but Bowden didn’t sound definitive about where Brown would line up. “I see him being where we most need him,” Bowden said. “Our needs are at tackle, but I also think he can play the guard position.” That’s as much clarity as he provided. “You’ll know it on the first play, I guess,” he said. Note: Dr Z sees the need at tackle.

If Brown does move to Guard, what does it mean?

• Our existing interior OL is underperforming?
  • Brown is too slow for tackle?
  • We are going to run more Saturday and want a bigger, stronger body on the interior?

I would go with #3. I saw Brown in scrimmages, and he absolutely engulfed the opposing DE (Dorvalis, I believe) when he played right tackle. I think Brown at Guard shows that Bowden would want to run the ball more-frequently than we've seen in games #1 and 2. I'm all for it.

I mentioned in my PSU game summary that TB55 played BOTH RT and RG in that contest. I think it might have to do with rotations. By playing him at both spots, MacNamara and Osborne are able to stay at RG and RT respectively (where the staff apparently thinks they are best suited). If you only play TB55 at RT, then you need to come up with an effective backup for MacNamara. It's just speculation on my part.

I see the line has moved a bit: Zips are currently only 9 point dogs.