Do they deserve attendance now!

a-zip

For the Record: my last comment was more a perspective on why students would not want to go to games now, not necessarily why I would/would not go to a game. The results of Zips games are not already pre-decided, like the vast majority of Big-schools games seemingly are.

^ But you go to games...

Yup! I find games fun. I'm only pointing out why I think a lot of college people (who are my generation) would choose not to stay for an entire game, or to even go to a game. I will say though...the Howard game I did find myself a little disengaged...as I also did towards the end of the EMU game. Celebrating with other fans after the game is what added more fun to it! (Because we never get wins!)

Interesting perspective. Yet, in another thread, you got all p.o.'d about my going off on the Cleveland Browns. NFL (Nab the Fans Loot) billionaire owners and millionaire players who take great care of their fans, shaking them down weekly. It will be interesting to see if attendance figures change with the FCC ending the blackout rules.

On a side note: The Cleveland Browns have not had a single blacked out game since coming back in 1999. That's WITH the FCC rules.

I believe my comment was more directed at the bashing of the Cleveland Browns (not calling them a real NFL team) not about the cost. When it comes to the cost, I'd agree with you. $8 for a soda is ridiculous. Price of admission, however, the Cleveland Browns are one of the best NFL priced stadiums in the country.

Because the players looks up in the stands and see you're not there and think, if they don't care why should I?

I'm just making an observation. And I don't see it changing. I'd go on a rant about Millennials...but I don't think it'd be addressing your point anymore.

Interesting that the AD at MSU would be embarrassed about students not showing up. Let's examine.

The game was to start at 8 PM, which means the show came on at 8 and everyone had to listen to announcers spout off 15 minutes worth of cliches before opening kick off. So, the game probably started at 8:15.

It was a Saturday and a big deal on campus. This means that the drinking started early. Early enough that there might not have been many students standing by 8 PM.

Quite honestly, there is no good reason for a college football game to start any later than 7 PM. Unless, of course, television revenue is more important to an AD than attendance. So, when ADs complain about a prime time game not getting students to show up on a Saturday, they should look in the mirror to see who is at fault. The enemy within is always the most dangerous and for universities, the ADs are the biggest enemy on the field of battle.

Interesting that the AD at MSU would be embarrassed about students not showing up. Let's examine.

The game was to start at 8 PM, which means the show came on at 8 and everyone had to listen to announcers spout off 15 minutes worth of cliches before opening kick off. So, the game probably started at 8:15.

It was a Saturday and a big deal on campus. This means that the drinking started early. Early enough that there might not have been many students standing by 8 PM.

Quite honestly, there is no good reason for a college football game to start any later than 7 PM. Unless, of course, television revenue is more important to an AD than attendance. So, when ADs complain about a prime time game not getting students to show up on a Saturday, they should look in the mirror to see who is at fault. The enemy within is always the most dangerous and for universities, the ADs are the biggest enemy on the field of battle.

If I read the article correctly, his complaint is that they left early. Not that they didn't show up. Perhaps they were cold, tired, tipsy, etc. and figured the game was in hand...so they left. I'd be happy if our student section was filled for 3 quarters. I don't blame anyone for being too cold and tired after sitting out there for a time, especially if the game started at 8 pm.

You haven't been to a Zips game lately, have you? Every game I go to the Zips players are looking up in the stands and urging the fans to make some noise. Small crowds don't make as much noise as big crowds.

I have not unfortunately, but hope to soon. Players who look up at the stands and wave at the spectators to make more noise have latent cheerleader tendencies.