MBB signing day 2015

That guy looks like he's some fun to watch

Boykins was very entertaining and talented, I don't think I missed a game of his at the JAR. He made freakish moves on the floor that defied his size. There was no defense for his antics at times. Being a Akron alumnus, he drove me nuts, but I eventually became a fan. Sports Illustrated did a spread on him once which included this photo. His senior year, he beat Duke in the NCAA tournament, and was second in the nation in scoring. If Antino can develop half of Boykins talent, he will do very well in today's MAC. Boykin's cheated at EMU though, he played 35+ minutes a game. I don't know how it happens, but I would love to play in a league again that has NBA talent like Boykins, Szczerbiak, Trent, Daniels and Wells.

It's also reported that Boykins benched 315, can Antino? Oh, and btw, Earl is from Cleveland (Central Catholic).

He is currently a head coach at a Colorado high school.

Here's a cool image when Earl played in the NBA. Check out his feet.

earl-boykins-634T3240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Peter's team won the state championship earlier this month.

Here is an article on the semifinal game http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/game-report-providence-day-vs-greensboro-day/

From the championship he only had 4 points due to foul trouble but Giles only had 11 http://www.bigshots.net/big-shots-today/ncisaa-finals-recap-2-a3-a-all-state-teams/

Went & saw Josh & STVM play Poland Seminary tonight. Josh was on fire. He scored 27 points and I only remember him missing one shot all night. He stops & pops 3's on the fast break.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/prep-stats/high-school-scores-summaries-and-schedules-1.576425

What impresses me most about Josh is his demeanor. He's unflappable. Cool, calm & collected - very much like Noah Robotham.

He'll make another nice complement to Antino, who is, as KD says, "an explosion."

Peter Agba's team will play in the Dick's Sporting Goods Nationals on April 2nd on ESPNU at 4 PM. This is a great chance to see a Zips recruit play against some of the best high school competition in the country, if anybody is interested.

That event looks like a lose-and-done type of format. Why wouldn't they just make it a three game guarantee situation with the eight teams involved like they often do with college tourneys? I mean they already have to have the time set aside in case they win, right? That is a long way for some high school teams to go to potentially only play 32 minutes of basketball.

Still, I 'll have to remember to watch to see Agba.

I love hearing a kid from NE Ohio talk about his lifelong passion for the Zips, and say that Akron is his "dream school".

I applaud Joe Dunn, and everyone else who exposes their kids to Akron Athletics at a young age. It might only produce long-term results, but you have to start somewhere when attempting to build a fanbase. How do you think the Buckeye Honks in Akron are created? We have the same opportunity to mold our youth to follow the real Home Team, and the more honorable path :D

• Like 1

... Peter Agba's team will play in the Dick's Sporting Goods Nationals on April 2nd on ESPNU at 4 PM. This is a great chance to see a Zips recruit play against some of the best high school competition in the country, if anybody is interested.

I didn't get to see the game, but Greensboro Day lost 50-34 to powerhouse Monteverde Academy, which has won 7 straight games in this tournament over the last couple of years. Monteverde is loaded with D-I recruits. Brief story is here.

Akron-bound forward Peter Agba was the only Greensboro Day (33-3) player to score in double figures with 12 points. The Bengals shot just 30 percent from the field.

I watched the replay on ESPN3. The team they played (Montverde Academy, IIRC) had the #1 ranked PF in the nation, who also happens the be the #1-ranked prospect in the nation regardless of position. They also had two other Power-5 Conference recruited players, I believe all of whom were ranked in the ESPN Top 150. In the first quarter, Peter Agba looked like the best player on the floor. He scored 6 points while Montverde was still having trouble finding any rhythm on offense. In the 2nd quarter Greensboro Academy only scored 2 points. One basket, again by Peter. I fell asleep at halftime, but Peter ended the game with 12 points, so he only scored 4 in the 2nd half. Monteverde obviously made some halftime adjustment to focus on stopping Agba.

Before watching I knew that Peter only scored 12 points, so I was kinda surprised at how good he looked scoring 6 in the 1st quarter. He's going to be a good one. He was really the only player Greensboro had who could hang with Montverde's size & athleticism.

There were some twitter references to Peter's age by USA Today's Cam Smith and others:

This story describes how Peter did defensively against the #1 HS player in the country, 6-10 Ben Simmons:

... Greensboro Day was led by Peter Agba, who scored 12 points on 6 of 14 shooting. Agba spent most of the game shadowing Simmons on the defensive end of the floor.

He drew the unenviable task of slowing down the nation’s top high school prospect until help arrived. ...

... Simmons, coming off a morning flight from Chicago after playing in the prestigious McDonald’s High School All American game, overcame a sluggish first half in the win. The 6-foot-10 forward scored 14 points and pulled down 11 rebounds in the win, while playing 31 of 32 minutes.

He struggled from the field, shooting 3-of-9 while fighting off double- and triple-teams. ...

I'm really getting excited about Mr. Agba. The more we learn about him the more he sounds like the closest thing to Tree's talent level the Zips have seen in a long time. Even though he's a late bloomer, he seems to already be at least borderline high-major talent. I really like that he's having a chance to go up against high-level bigs headed for high-major schools and holding his own. Looking over a players to watch list from the tournament you can get an idea of the quality of players Peter and Greensboro Day faced by comparing their roster to Monteverde's roster and looking at the colleges each team's players are committed to:

Greensboro Day (NC)

Players to watch:

Peter Agba (6’6, Sr., PF/Akron)

Darius Moore (5’11, Sr., PG/Abilene Christian)

Montverde Academy (FL)

Players to watch:

Ben Simmons (6’9, Sr., PF/LSU)

Noah Dickerson (6’8, Sr., PF/Florida)

Doral Moore (6’11, Sr., C/Wake Forest)

Marquez Letcher-Ellis (6’7, Sr., PF/Rice)

Jean Marc Christ Koumadje (7’4, Sr., C/Florida State)

• 7 years later...