C-USA - Yes or No?

zippy5

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are you a one-issue voter? :lol:

I am really considering all factors here. It's hard, because the MAC has been soooo good to us, but I have to weigh our dominance of the league too. Right now I have it at a dead heat. This answer to my question will push me one way or the other. If someone can research, I'll check the appropriate box.

I am really considering all factors here. It's hard, because the MAC has been soooo good to us, but I have to weigh our dominance of the league too. Right now I have it at a dead heat. This answer to my question will push me one way or the other. If someone can research, I'll check the appropriate box.

f6wlm.jpg

According to a check of his Wikipedia entry it does not appear he has ever done any announcing for C-USA.

And,say what you will about the 'Cleveland' TV market it hasn't been and isn't that attractive to that conference.

This is very interesting. I would think that ANY conference would be happy to be publicized in the Cleveland TV market. It's a very large market. But as we all know, the Cleveland TV market thinks that the "home team" is the school about 3 hours to the south, when several others are in much closer proximity. I don't even think some of those folks realize at times that we are even in the same division.

If that inaccurate perception would not change, then I would probably agree with you. What would the Cleveland market mean to another conference if they would not be getting the publicity for their league, and that team, that is actually right in heart of the Cleveland viewing area?

This is very interesting. I would think that ANY conference would be happy to be publicized in the Cleveland TV market. It's a very large market. But as we all know, the Cleveland TV market thinks that the "home team" is the school about 3 hours to the south, when several others are in much closer proximity. I don't even think some of those folks realize at times that we are even in the same division.

If that inaccurate perception would not change, then I would probably agree with you. What would the Cleveland market mean to another conference if they would not be getting the publicity for their league, and that team, that is actually right in heart of the Cleveland viewing area?

It doesn't matter who they root for. The new conference is getting X amount of TVs that their games can be shown to. It's only one of many factors, but it's a factor. The B1G didn't add Rutgers because of their fan base, they got the NYC market.

Ohio isn't going anywhere. Ohio fans that think they so are dreaming. There is one huge problem with joining Conference USA that makes it unattractive for anyone let alone Ohio. The cost of travel. The league is spread out from Texas to Florida. The cost of travelling all varsity teams to these schools would be way out of line of most schools. The return for playing football in the conference is not worth it. Marshall is probably wishing they never left because of these costs no matter what the "We are Marshall" folks and Chuck Landon want to say.

The travel costs would be astounding, based on how that conference is arranged, geographically. If you can imagine the loss to send the volleyball team to Texas for one game, and doing that several times a year, it's mind boggling. Multiply that by every other sport.

It all comes back to this (I just said this in another thread yesterday). Akron is a city of 200,000 people, with hundreds of thousands more in the surrounding areas. You would think that this serves as an incredible advantage vs. athletic programs who don't have this type of population from which to garner support. And we need their FINANCIAL support more than anything else. It should be a no-brainer, but it's not. The potential fan base along with the robust business community, many of whom are within steps of our campus, should give us all that we need. The bottom line: Until some people around here get the Buckeyes pulled out of their a$$es, and understand that there IS a local team D-1 program right here that has operated with integrity and deserves their support, and a University that drives this community, we can't fund this type of move.

Anyone still convinced that C-USA isn't a step up after watching then completely destroy the 2 MAC teams they have been matched up with? The two games have been men vs boys.....if we get a chance to make the move and don't then we are either stupid or content being a JV team in the worst conference in America.

• Like 1

Wonder if the timing of the announcement concerning the fact we are ready & willing to put pretty big $$$ into our existing basketball facility (and not wait on voter approval for a new arena) is an indication of us trying to make a move?

I would guess that is the case. CUSA meets in a little over 2 weeks to decide about UAB. It's already news in Texas, at any rate http://www.chron.com/sports/article/University-of-Akron-looks-to-renovate-its-arena-5979456.php