HustleBelt's Pre-Season Top 70 MAC Players for 2015

johnnyzip84

Who else do you guys think appears on this list for the Zips?

I'm throwing in Jatavis and Marcus for sure. Kind of on the fence about whether Grice or Pittman will make it. This high would be a little surprising to me, but I think they both are top 70 for sure. Nobody on offense come to mind (ugh).

Marcus is the player I am looking most forward to watching this fall. It will be interesting to see if he makes the list. I will be surprised if Pittman or Grice make it. How high will JB1 rank? Top 5?

• Like 1

Marcus is the player I am looking most forward to watching this fall. It will be interesting to see if he makes the list. I will be surprised if Pittman or Grice make it. How high will JB1 rank? Top 5?

I'll bet JB1 cracks the top 3, and I expect Grice to be in there somewhere. Since the blogger actually knew something about fellow transfer Monroe, I expect Marcus to make the list as well. Neither Pittman nor Coe will likely make it, but I'll bet one of them make 1st or 2nd all-MAC after the season.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll bet JB1 cracks the top 3, and I expect Grice to be in there somewhere. Since the blogger actually knew something about fellow transfer Monroe, I expect Marcus to make the list as well. Neither Pittman nor Coe will likely make it, but I'll bet one of them make 1st or 2nd all-MAC after the season.

JB checks in at #4 - not quite in the top 3. Marcus will apparently be overlooked. That's OK. Hopefully this defense, and the entire team, has a bit of a collective chip on its shoulder this year. I can see TB using the general financial situation at UA, and the lack of football attendance in particular, as a sort of "us against the world" type of motivation. Some people react favorably when they are up against it. I think the Zips may just do that this year.

JB checks in at #4 - not quite in the top 3. Marcus will apparently be overlooked. That's OK. Hopefully this defense, and the entire team, has a bit of a collective chip on its shoulder this year. I can see TB using the general financial situation at UA, and the lack of football attendance in particular, as a sort of "us against the world" type of motivation. Some people react favorably when they are up against it. I think the Zips may just do that this year.

Hopefully JB1 has a Khalil Mack type senior year.
  • Like 2

Hopefully JB1 has a Khalil Mack type senior year.

Khalil embarrassed Ohio State's offensive line in his big game of the year legitimizing himself as one of the top picks in the draft. Hopefully Jatavis can do the same against Oklahoma. It's a shame that even if scouts eventually get to see the game, most college football fans won't due to Oklahoma's silly PPV. JB's tape against Pitt last year is nice one to have for scouts to look at.

The day Khalil got $paid$.

buffpick6.gif

I can't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading that there were scouts at camp this year. I remember seeing scouts at the Howard game last year. This year's seniors have to be encouraged with the recent success of Zips in the NFL. I would have to think that several guys from the front 7 on D have a shot. It would be nice to see a couple, like JB get drafted. I have appreciated the way JB has always quietly taken care of business.

If success is getting cut in training camp, we are wildly successful.

By any other measure, we're not. If we're lucky, Pughsley makes an active roster. MAYBE March and Capi make a practice squad.

How many guys got a shot? Several. Most kids are just looking for a chance.

Chisholm may still make the practice squad. He got a nice shoutout last week from the team for breaking one for 85 yards. If Justin isn't on the Chiefs practice squad, he will likely be with someone next year.

Chisholm may still make the practice squad. He got a nice shoutout last week from the team for breaking one for 85 yards.

I would be shocked if he makes that practice squad. His team has bigger issues on the other side of the ball and probably won't have room for him. He's getting a shot there because he's a local guy, but maybe some other team has a need at that position that can fit him on their squad.

I would be shocked if he makes that practice squad. His team has bigger issues on the other side of the ball and probably won't have room for him. He's getting a shot there because he's a local guy, but maybe some other team has a need at that position that can fit him on there squad.

Teams don't give breaks to local kids and H-burg is not exactly local. The issue with him making the practice squad is more the number of RBs the Steelers already had. However, they are dealing with injuries and a suspension, so it is all sort of messy.

How many guys got a shot? Several. Most kids are just looking for a chance.

I only have an issue with associating the term "NFL success" with the Zips.

CFL? Maybe. But compared to most MAC schools, we've done nothing meaningful in the NFL since Jason Taylor, Dwight Smith, Vic Green, Hixon, Blackburn and Charlie Frye hung 'em up.

• 4 months later...

I only have an issue with associating the term "NFL success" with the Zips.

CFL? Maybe. But compared to most MAC schools, we've done nothing meaningful in the NFL since Jason Taylor, Dwight Smith, Vic Green, Hixon, Blackburn and Charlie Frye hung 'em up.

Agreed. I really wish Justin March wouldn't have been injured this year. It seems like the Chiefs are pretty high on his potential. Hopefully he can make an impact this fall.