Game 7—BGSU Falcons

LZIp

And 4 years later the same middle of the road to good MAC teams that were beating us by sometimes embarrassing margins are still doing so. Maybe some of us are happy just not being one of the 20 worst teams in the country. Maybe some of us expect more.

Considering the state of our program only a couple years ago...where it was a legitimate question whether we could go .500 with a Division II schedule...I don't see getting waxed by Top 30 programs in 2015 as all that unfathomable.

I wish we were more competitive against Top 30 programs, but we aren't there yet.

We whipped ULL on the road, and whipped EMU on the road. Considering where we were at in 2012, that's substantial progress.

Barring major injuries, we should win 4 more games this season. There's no way a 7-5 regular season is a disappointment.

Edited by Captain Kangaroo
  • Like 1

Each arguing side in this debate is pretty entrenched in their viewpoint. Neither side has been able to get anyone to change their mind. There are also a lot of football fans and former active posters that are staying silent right now. I guess the jury is still out for them or they hold views they don't want to make part of the public record.

I am pretty tired of the arguing. It's like listening to people argue about politics or religion. There have been good points brought up by Kool-aid kids and Drano chuggers alike. Good points based on facts. These good points are being dismissed out of hand by the other side. I'm guilty of this and if you're really honest with yourself, you probably are too.

We are all Zips fans and we all want to win. Some of us are more patient than others. Some of us have run out of patience.

It was said by someone back in the summertime when all the negative press was happening that we all needed some good news to make us feel better and some of us were hoping for the breakthrough season in football to salve our wounded pride. I know I was. As CK has written in the past, I feel like Lucy just jerked that football away again.

ZipGrad....Why in the world would you call it a Train Wreck if we don't win ALL of those last 4 games?

Yes, they are bad teams. But winning 4 games in a row against any D-1A opponents is not an easy thing to do. We'll probably be favored in all of them, but you still need to have pretty consistent play to win 4 in a row in the MAC.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I really think you're trying way too hard to try to justify why we need to change the direction of our program. The change is not always good. We've been there. Remember?

It would be a train wreck because all 4 of those teams are TERRIBLE. Not only that, 3 of the 4 games are at home. Do you think NIU, BGSU, OU or Toledo fans would have this boards attitude about possibly losing to one of those 4 teams? It would be unacceptable.

I am not trying to justify firing Bowden. I am trying to hold the guy to a little higher standard than most on this board do. I feel the guy is too comfortable inching the program along at a snails pace satisfying many of you by beating a few of the dregs of college football. I want to see a sense of urgency with him and his staff as far as bringing in guys with fresh new schemes, guys to help step up the recruiting level, etc... We still lag behind almost every MAC team in recruiting and it doesn't look like we are picking up any steam in this regard. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football programs and we seem to be on life support. If you don't believe me, take the starting seniors and plug in the guys we currently have on the roster to replace them next year. The talent level drop off is frightening and we aren't exactly out athleting anyone right now.

Are we better on the field now than we were 4 years ago? Yes. Honestly though, we aren't that much better and none of you should be remotely satisfied with this programs performance. Losing to BGSU by 50 is an absolute joke! We "may" beat a terrible 1-AA team and 4 or 5 of the bottom 30 teams in the country this year, but I am sick and tired of the excuses of why we cant even beat mid-level MAC programs after 4 years. Beating Miami, EMU and a 1-AA team every year isnt going to help us win the recruiting wars with Toledo, Ohio, BGSU, WMU and NIU. We have to start beating these teams and beating them now. The Bowden name loses its luster with every 50 point beat down to upper level MAC schools.

If my viewpoint is too outrageous for this board then so be it.

Two of those games are at home, and two of them are on the road. Just to be technically correct.

Considering the current state of Akron football, where we are still trying to get over another hump from terrible, to average, to contender, I'm just astounded to see someone state that it would be "unacceptable" if we don't win all 4 games in any 4 game stretch.

That would absolutely be a breakthrough event for us. It would give us either an 8-4 or 7-5 record. It would guarantee a bowl bid. And it would equal or surpass the most wins in any season in our entire D-1A era.

To say that it would be "unacceptable" if it doesn't happen makes me wonder what an "acceptable" season would be for you.

Considering the state of our program only a couple years ago...where it was a legitimate question whether we could go .500 with a Division II schedule...I don't see getting waxed by Top 30 programs in 2015 as all that unfathomable.

I wish we were more competitive against Top 30 programs, but we aren't there yet.

We whipped ULL on the road, and whipped EMU on the road. Considering where we were at in 2012, that's substantial progress.

Barring major injuries, we should win 4 more games this season. There's no way a 7-5 regular season is a disappointment.

While I would of course like to see them win out I would definitely be OK with the team going 4-1 in the last five. CMU has looked pretty good at times this year, is coming off a bowl season, and could easily be favored to win against the Zips. Also, the Zips have struggled defensively against the pass. This fact alone has me worried about both the Buffalo and UMass games.

I thought heading into 2105 that a 7-5 season (or better) was necessary for the staff to legitimately claim that the program has turned the corner. I also felt that 2015 was the crucial year in terms of overall program momentum – a turnaround season could be the vital piece of evidence that could be used to finally wean TB’s Zips off of the transfer teat. None of this has changed in my mind. If the team falls short of 7-5, I believe TB’s window of opportunity to build a winner at UA will likely have closed (keep in mind the number of KEY seniors that are playing this year). Now if this team had been constructed in a more traditional manner, using mostly HS recruits, I would not feel this same way. But in order to finally start taking our share of recruits from the Toledo’s and WMU’s of the MAC, a clear turnaround season is needed NOW.

Do I consider 7-5 to be acceptable? At this juncture, I do, but it’s the minimum in my view for reasons stated above. Do I think the Zips will get there? I’d put that at about 50-50 right now. I just don’t currently see a lot of separation between UA, U@B and K-E-N-T, which is why I’m not ready to assume a 4 game winning streak to close out the season. An upset win over CMU would surely change all of this. Let’s hope for the best after the bye week. Go Zips!

Edited by johnnyzip84

I feel the guy is too comfortable inching the program along at a snails pace satisfying many of you by beating a few of the dregs of college football. I want to see a sense of urgency with him and his staff as far as bringing in guys with fresh new schemes, guys to help step up the recruiting level, etc...

I doubt any of us have any idea of how comfortable he is. He can't come out in public and communicate panic, confusion, or anything other than that they have a plan and to try to keep the kids' chins up.

We are making progress at recruiting and these kids are learning the system and will be ready to step into the roles when needed. Kyle Ritz is a great example. Big kid, athletic and doing a decent job but will even better with a few more games under his belt. He's only a redshirt freshman. There are a number of kids like that. When you have the records we have had, plus the attendance at games, coaches have to go beat the bushes for diamonds in the rough and pray some lf them pay off.

Would you rather your kid play for a team that goes to bowls and is competitive or a team struggling to break out lf losing records and made headlines for the worst attendance in the nation and canceling the baseball program. When you consider what is stacked against us, it is remarkable we get the kids that we do. The Bowden name, personality, and character is a big reason we get any talent and are not at the EMU level.

It would be a train wreck because all 4 of those teams are TERRIBLE. Not only that, 3 of the 4 games are at home. Do you think NIU, BGSU, OU or Toledo fans would have this boards attitude about possibly losing to one of those 4 teams? It would be unacceptable.

I am not trying to justify firing Bowden. I am trying to hold the guy to a little higher standard than most on this board do. I feel the guy is too comfortable inching the program along at a snails pace satisfying many of you by beating a few of the dregs of college football. I want to see a sense of urgency with him and his staff as far as bringing in guys with fresh new schemes, guys to help step up the recruiting level, etc... We still lag behind almost every MAC team in recruiting and it doesn't look like we are picking up any steam in this regard. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football programs and we seem to be on life support. If you don't believe me, take the starting seniors and plug in the guys we currently have on the roster to replace them next year. The talent level drop off is frightening and we aren't exactly out athleting anyone right now.

Are we better on the field now than we were 4 years ago? Yes. Honestly though, we aren't that much better and none of you should be remotely satisfied with this programs performance. Losing to BGSU by 50 is an absolute joke! We "may" beat a terrible 1-AA team and 4 or 5 of the bottom 30 teams in the country this year, but I am sick and tired of the excuses of why we cant even beat mid-level MAC programs after 4 years. Beating Miami, EMU and a 1-AA team every year isnt going to help us win the recruiting wars with Toledo, Ohio, BGSU, WMU and NIU. We have to start beating these teams and beating them now. The Bowden name loses its luster with every 50 point beat down to upper level MAC schools.

If my viewpoint is too outrageous for this board then so be it.

First of all we all know that saying Akron 'should' be favored in and/or win its last 4 games is pretty meaningless especially based on recent history. At this point its not cliche to say you better play them one at a time. As noted,3 of those teams have decent to at least good(or better) QB's. CMU has one of them. That team is playing well in the better MAC division. Buffalo with Licata has a very serviceable QB. UMass while not showing results in the record has a QB capable of causing problems for an Akron defense that has been lit up through the air. Miami,eh!

Can't is always a tossup even when it should not be.

Maybe Akron has used the off week to shore up the pass rush and pass D. Maybe the also have continued to emphasize running the ball and cutting down on the 'empty' plays.

If Akron doesn't take advantage of a weak MAC schedule this season to get to at least 6-6 there will be some long looks at the program by the NEW AD and new Prez. As far as a bowl game,with the wins they have it will take 7-5 minimum unless another better MAC team completely flames out. A win over CMU would really be significant.

There are going to be some holes to fill especially up front on the defense after this season. I keep looking at the offense and wondering when the lights come on for the coaches and the players. Given time AND some better lets say input from the offensive coaches,Woodson seems to have enough upside to develop into a serviceable MAC QB. But,he needs more time and more help.

Trick or treat on Halloween?

• 3 weeks later...

Pay Attention To BG QB Matt Johnson by Gordon McGuiness

Don’t look now, but Bowling Green quarterback Matt Johnson (+35.0) currently has the second-highest passing grade in the nation behind only Trevone Boykin. With the Falcons’ only losses of the year coming against Tennessee and Memphis, Bowling Green has scored 62, 59, 48 and 62 points in each of the past four games, and suddenly looks like one of the best non-Power-5 teams in all of college football.

There really should be no, "suddenly" about it. I heard the college sports on Sirius talk guys talking about him in September.

PFF has their own grading system. There is definitely a love hate relationship between folks that I discuss football with. I lean toward love. One of the few pay sites I would recommend for people that really love football.

Edited by Dr Z

PFF has their own grading system. There is definitely a love hate relationship between folks that I discuss football with. I lean toward love. One of the few pay sites I would recommend for people that really love football.

I like PFF, but there are definitely flaws with it. Not saying that I disagree with most of their grades, though.

• 4 months later...

Oh no! :puke: 

Three of the four designs break away from the normal green surface and incorporate BGSU's unique orange and brown color schemes. Design one features Bowling Green's new secondary forward facing falcon logo. The all-brown turf with orange "Falcons" from end line to end line is a bold departure from the current surface.

stock-footage-abort-button-on-a-white-ba

Oh no...do NOT do the colored field..  Colored Fields are disgusting.  If they are going to do it, at least make it a faded version so it doesn't pop out like that while you're trying to watch the game.  Seriously, why to the players wear the colors of the school and then have the field also be the color of the field?  seems very stupid.

I personally like design 3 or 4, so long as it's a green field.