Stanford

I guess it is time to start a Stanford topic.

Several peoplle , on Saturday night, were crowing about Wake Forest losing. That would be a huge mistake to underestimate the Cardinal.

2 Hermann trophy semifinalists...with one of them being the only collegian on the USMNT.

Let's look at Common opponents for Akron and Stanford...

Let's start positive...

Cal Santa Barbara- Akron won 2-0 ; Stanford lost 1-0 to them on Aug. 28

VCU - Akron won 3-2 in double overtime in the first game of the year. ; Stanford won 2-0 on Sept. 6

Santa Clara - Akron won 2-0 ; Stanford won 3-1 in the NCAA round of 32

Ohio State - zips played to a 3-3 tie....Stanford won 3-1 in the NCAA round of 16

Wake Forest - Akron lost 2-1....the big difference between Stanford and Akron's game....is that Wake Forest had their best player , Michael Gamble in that game...When Stanford played them, Michael Gamble was injured...Stanford won 2-1 in the first overtime...Wake Forest missed a penalty kick at 94 minutes to win the game

UCLA - Akron lost 4-2...Richie Laryea and Danilo Radjen did not play in that game ; Stanford won 2-1....although a phantom offside call prevented UCLA from tieing the game. In their 2nd matchup, they played to a 2-2 tie

SMU - Akron won 2-1 in the ncaa round of 16 ; Stanford won 3-2 in 2 ot's on Sept. 13

Washington was the toughest opponent for Stanford as the Huskies played them to a 0-0 tie and Washington won the 2nd game 2-1.

in the Stanford-Wake Forest game, the demon deacons led 14-12 in shots and 5-3 in corner kicks

against the Buckeyes...Stanford led 19-11 and 5-1 in corner kicks

Akron has improved tremendously during the season. I still like the zips in the game...but Jordan Morris, Brandon Vincent and their teammates will be a handful.

I guess it is time to start a Stanford topic.

Several peoplle , on Saturday night, were crowing about Wake Forest losing. That would be a huge mistake to underestimate the Cardinal.

2 Hermann trophy semifinalists...with one of them being the only collegian on the USMNT.

Let's look at Common opponents for Akron and Stanford...

Let's start positive...

Cal Santa Barbara- Akron won 2-0 ; Stanford lost 1-0 to them on Aug. 28

VCU - Akron won 3-2 in double overtime in the first game of the year. ; Stanford won 2-0 on Sept. 6

Santa Clara - Akron won 2-0 ; Stanford won 3-1 in the NCAA round of 32

Ohio State - zips played to a 3-3 tie....Stanford won 3-1 in the NCAA round of 16

Wake Forest - Akron lost 2-1....the big difference between Stanford and Akron's game....is that Wake Forest had their best player , Michael Gamble in that game...When Stanford played them, Michael Gamble was injured...Stanford won 2-1 in the first overtime...Wake Forest missed a penalty kick at 94 minutes to win the game

UCLA - Akron lost 4-2...Richie Laryea and Danilo Radjen did not play in that game ; Stanford won 2-1....although a phantom offside call prevented UCLA from tieing the game. In their 2nd matchup, they played to a 2-2 tie

SMU - Akron won 2-1 in the ncaa round of 16 ; Stanford won 3-2 in 2 ot's on Sept. 13

Washington was the toughest opponent for Stanford as the Huskies played them to a 0-0 tie and Washington won the 2nd game 2-1.

in the Stanford-Wake Forest game, the demon deacons led 14-12 in shots and 5-3 in corner kicks

against the Buckeyes...Stanford led 19-11 and 5-1 in corner kicks

Akron has improved tremendously during the season. I still like the zips in the game...but Jordan Morris, Brandon Vincent and their teammates will be a handful.

When Stanford lost to UCSB, Jordan Morris was with the USMNT.

When Stanford lost to UCSB, Jordan Morris was with the USMNT.

I thought I had seen a stat that Stanford was 7-0-2 when Jordan Morris was not with the team.

I went to their schedule and printed a box score for the Santa Barbara game....shows Jordan Morris in the starting lineup...but only taking one shot in the game

http://www.gostanford.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&CONTENT_ID=1387035

I thought I had seen a stat that Stanford was 7-0-2 when Jordan Morris was not with the team.

I went to their schedule and printed a box score for the Santa Barbara game....shows Jordan Morris in the starting lineup...but only taking one shot in the game

http://www.gostanford.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&CONTENT_ID=1387035

Well done!

I had heard elsewhere that Morris had not been present for UCSB match due to national duties.

Thanks for researching. I should not make declarations without checking the record.

While you are in an investigative mind, what are the matches JoMo missed while with USMNT (or really, for any reason)?

VCU, California, Washington.

The Official Zips Soccer College Cup Watch Party is Friday, December 11 at the Score Draft Room! Watch the Zips take on the Stanford Cardinals in the national semi-finals and have the chance to win great Zips prizes! Take advantage of great food and drink specials all night and cheer the Zips on to victory and into the National Championship game!

watchparty.jpg

Edited by Dr Z

Did anyone attend the sendoff event Wednesday at 1? (sometimes living 635 miles from Akron ....is not good :) ) I hope it was well attended. Which players spoke at the event? Go, Zips !!! 2nd Star !!!....Looking forward to seeing everyone in Kansas City and seeing this group of outstanding young men and their excellent coaching staff fulfill their destiny.

Did anyone attend the sendoff event Wednesday at 1? (sometimes living 635 miles from Akron ....is not good :) ) I hope it was well attended. Which players spoke at the event? Go, Zips !!! 2nd Star !!!....Looking forward to seeing everyone in Kansas City and seeing this group of outstanding young men and their excellent coaching staff fulfill their destiny.

Represent us! Be loud and be proud! :rock:

1042127150_l.jpg

#2ndStar!

And I know Zip_ME87 will be there, no bout adoubt it! Look him up.

the plain dealer has not covered Akron soccer all year....and suddenly this guy is an expert?

saying that the zips don't handle physical play well and that Jake needs to avoid mental lapses?

GRRR !!!! How about writing something positive like 1) Jared Embick and his coaching staff has done a great job ; 2) This team has improved so much during the season due to their great work ethic and tremendous desire ; 3) 13 players on the MAC all academic team ...sorry, Mr. Elton Alexander....I think that Marla Ridenour is writing circles around you

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/12/akron_should_expect_physical_p.html#incart_river_index

the plain dealer has not covered Akron soccer all year....and suddenly this guy is an expert?

saying that the zips don't handle physical play well and that Jake needs to avoid mental lapses?

GRRR !!!! How about writing something positive like 1) Jared Embick and his coaching staff has done a great job ; 2) This team has improved so much during the season due to their great work ethic and tremendous desire ; 3) 13 players on the MAC all academic team ...sorry, Mr. Elton Alexander....I think that Marla Ridenour is writing circles around you

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/12/akron_should_expect_physical_p.html#incart_river_index

We must be careful not to expel newcomers to the bandwagon just because our customary seats are so well worn. I would rather Mr. Alexander write a shallow, second hand article than write no article whatsoever.

By its very nature, all journalism invites criticism. Fair Warning!

But it is inconsistent to decry the lack of coverage, only to lambast the writer for weak observations. At least the Plain Dealer is taking notice. Perhaps Mr. Alexander's next piece on the Zips will be worthy of comparison to the esteemed Ms. Ridenour’s. The biggest difference is that Marla seems to be invested in this team; it is more than just an assignment.

#2ndStar!

1042127150_l.jpg

We must be careful not to expel newcomers to the bandwagon just because our customary seats are so well worn. I would rather Mr. Alexander write a shallow, second hand article than write no article whatsoever.

By its very nature, all journalism invites criticism. Fair Warning!

But it is inconsistent to decry the lack of coverage, only to lambast the writer for weak observations. At least the Plain Dealer is taking notice. Perhaps Mr. Alexander's next piece on the Zips will be worthy of comparison to the esteemed Ms. Ridenour’s. The biggest difference is that Marla seems to be invested in this team; it is more than just an assignment.

#2ndStar!

1042127150_l.jpg

good points....I have criticized them for no coverage

and Terry Pluto did write an absolutely sensational article about them that was great coverage and publicity

I am so excited about this team...that I probably did have a knee jerk reaction to a little negativity.

I will give credit to the Plain Dealer for paying to send someone to the land of oz. Hopefully, 2 more wins will increase Mr. Alexander's investment

One of my favorite UA Soccer moments occurred in 2009 against Stanford when Teal Bunbury scored on a header and ran to the corner where Ampi was holding the flag like a golf caddy. Bunbury made the stroke of a put and followed it with a finger point while taking bouncy steps towards the flag and finished with a triple fist pump a la Stanford Alum, Tiger Woods. Mind you, this was right around the time when Tiger's personal scandal was blowing up. The celebration was in the southeast corner where many in the crowd (myself included) were gathered at the ropes laughing our asses off over the skit. Well done, fellas!...Classic!

Beat the Cardinals!

Edited by UAZipster0305

One of my favorite UA Soccer moments occurred in 2009 against Stanford when Teal Bunbury scored on a header and ran to the corner flag where Ampi was holding it like a golf caddy. Bunbury made the stroke of a put and followed it with a finger point while taking bouncy steps towards the flag followed by a fist pump a la Tiger Woods. Mind you, this was right around the time when Tiger's personal scandal was blowing up. This celebration was in the southeast corner where many in the crowd (myself included) were gathered at the ropes. Well done, fellas!

Beat the Cardinals!

I remember that exact moment very well. Thanks for the reminder! Who has the video on that?

Beat Stanford Cardinal!

• Like 1