South Point Classic, Las Vegas

GJGood

Reggie's dunk was pretty but nobody came close to boxing him out. The second half they looked tired and we had some nice offensive rebounds. We also had some nice drives to the basket by Kretzer and by Antiono. Jimond and Aron once again did not see the court in the second half.

Great second half. Big Dog has become a monster down low. Once they went down to him, Iona had no answer. Like I said the other day, the offense needs to run through the two bigs (once Pat gets back). Both can feel the doubles so well, and if the double doesn't come, nobody (outside maybe the elite high majors) can handle them.

The best sequence was midway through the second. They went to Big Dog. The double came, he quickly passed to an open man on the wing, who then kicked to the corner (when the defender had to come over) for a wide open three. That is this team's offense. And when they play like that, they are a legit top-tier team, despite the few flaws they do have.

It was nice to see Antino and Jake get to the rim, too. The Reggie dunk was also a thing of beauty. Overall, they did a nice job of attacking the offensive boards off of threes.

Very good game, overall. A lull at the end of the first half, but they responded in the second.

Also, while Iona didn't have English, that was moot since Pat also wasn't playing. While English has the PPG advantage, Pat is just as important to this team than English is to theirs,IMO.

Edited by wadszip

Really stinks they blew the Green Bay game. live-RPI projects us to finish with an RPI of 63, can only imagine that'd end up in the 40s without that loss. Oh well, takes perfection for an at-large bid with our schedule and that's realistically never going to happen. Hard to be upset with the play so far though, I really think we dominate the MAC this year

Really stinks they blew the Green Bay game. live-RPI projects us to finish with an RPI of 63, can only imagine that'd end up in the 40s without that loss. Oh well, takes perfection for an at-large bid with our schedule and that's realistically never going to happen. Hard to be upset with the play so far though, I really think we dominate the MAC this year

RPI hasn't meant anything for about 10 years since the MVC systemically found a way to exploit it. A top 40 RPI wouldn't do it anyway. The only shot at an at large was beating Villanova. I guess if the Zips run the table from here to the MAC title game, they may still have a shot. But once you get that far, just win in Cleveland. And this team has the ability to do that.

FWIW, the Zips should jump into the top 60 once KenPom updates (a better ratings system, IMO) after today. Still, that also doesn't mean much.

Edited by wadszip

it was actually pretty weak. He just barely tipped the ball. It was still pretty unexpected though.

I dont know what game you were watching but that was a major throw down. Reggie was about a foot above the rim and timed it perfect. It put a major exclamation point on a great game by the Zips! Iona tried to take the Zips out of their game before it even started. There were several scuffles during the pre-game warmups. One of their guys thought he could intimidate Big Dog amd they had to be seperated by the coaching staffs. Big Dog was named tournament MVP and Noah and Jake were named on the all tourney team with him.

Edited by Hilltopper

Akron jumps up to No. 50 in the KenPom rankings. A bigger jump than I expected. Say what you want about rankings, but KenPom is 10 times better than RPI, IMO.

Still doesn't mean the Zips are in the at large mix, because they aren't.

I don't necessarily think they are either, but last year the lowest kenpom-ranked at large team (indiana) was ranked 53. Ole miss also got in at 50.

I still don't think we would really be in the mix, but just shows that we aren't that far off. Either way it's not like being rated so highly is insignificant, i think it matters quite a bit and also wish we could've grabbed that green bay game

Although I have never been a big fan of how many 3 pointers we take the past 2 years, we have certainly improved our 3 point shooting. Last year we finished ranked 127th in 3 point percentage, this year we are currently ranked 43rd. Jake would be ranked in the top ten in 3 point percentage but is just short of makes per game to get listed. I hope our hot shooting behind the 3 point line continues.

I see we are #49 on KenPom,one spot ahead of Ohio State. Looking at the remaining schedule, we will be favored in every remaining game. The toughest two may be at O.U. and at CMU- we could very possibly run the table. If so, would we still be shut out of the Big Dance if we fail to win the MAC tournament? Against Iona, our first 4 shots were all 3s- 3 of them by Kwan, all misses. I know we live and die by the 3s,but would much rather have Reggie,Jake or our guards shooting them than a 6'10 forward,who still thinks he is a guard-please K.D. tell him to get his butt inside, get rebounds,play D and score inside. Since we seem to be getting little or nothing from Aaron Jackson,why not try Daniel-haven't we already blown his redshirt?

I see we are #49 on KenPom,one spot ahead of Ohio State. Looking at the remaining schedule, we will be favored in every remaining game. The toughest two may be at O.U. and at CMU- we could very possibly run the table. If so, would we still be shut out of the Big Dance if we fail to win the MAC tournament? Against Iona, our first 4 shots were all 3s- 3 of them by Kwan, all misses. I know we live and die by the 3s,but would much rather have Reggie,Jake or our guards shooting them than a 6'10 forward,who still thinks he is a guard-please K.D. tell him to get his butt inside, get rebounds,play D and score inside. Since we seem to be getting little or nothing from Aaron Jackson,why not try Daniel-haven't we already blown his redshirt?

A 30-3 record would be hard for the selection committee to pass up. I however don't feel that record is realistic. The Zips are too dependent on the 3 and there are plenty of MAC teams that are good enough to capitalize when Akron has a cold shooting night.

Akron will not go undefeated the rest of the way, although should be pretty much favored in all of them. There are bound to be some clunkers in there, and league road games are always tough. But, if we can minimize those clunkers and come to play every night we are in position to have a very, very successful year.

Also, the program that comes to mind with all this "30-3 but awful schedule" talk is Stephen f Austin the last few years. They've had great records but even worse schedules than the zips and finished the last two years in the top 60 of kenpom and as 12 seeds in the tournament, even winning a game (against vcu, sound familiar?) two years ago. I would love to see the zips do something like that.

• Like 1

A 30-3 record would be hard for the selection committee to pass up. I however don't feel that record is realistic. The Zips are too dependent on the 3 and there are plenty of MAC teams that are good enough to capitalize when Akron has a cold shooting night.

They said pass on a 26-win Zips team in the past....