Zips @ OU — Feb 2nd

Dr Z

OU/UA Game  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Josh Williams has definitely caught up to the speed of the game.

Was just about to say that....he has matured a ton since around the start of conference play. Man, could we ask for a better point guard situation?

I am feeling REALLY good about this team right now. They're starting to have the same feel as those 06-07 and 12-13 teams.

I really like that we're playing fast against teams that are thinner and less talented than ourselves.  I think that was the key tonight.  Late in the game, OU started to look deflated every single time they scored, and we went right down and scored quickly to answer. 

Josh Williams!!  Wow.  I think it really did him some good to spend a lot of time on the bench this year.  If he's really ready to contribute, we become a team that has TONS of guys who can have a big night, anytime.   I got the same feeling that Kwan can do the same, when needed, after a similar performance a couple of games ago.  This could be the deepest scoring team that Keith has ever had here. 

Pat is going to give me a heart attack.  His inability to finish easy opportunities at the rim has gone from bad to pathetic. 

As much as we may have felt encouraged by Ken+ looking very beatable as we get set to play them twice over this next month, that CMU game on Friday is really going to be tough.  I think it's time for a an OU/Ken+ crowd a little early this year.  We need at least 4k, and the kind of noise we had at the NIU game.   

Great to see a Zips 12 point win on the road when we did not play our best ball.  Josh Williams had a great game and hope that continues as he gets more experience.  Great tip ins by Reggie and Jake.  These guys are not great offensive rebounders and it just shows how hard these guys are playing in their senior year.  Robotham can certainly finish a game at the foul line.  Big Dog seems to get better every game and Kwan did his best Zeke imitation in the first half.  We shot 80% from the line.  I think our team may get a little tired from back to back MAC road games.  I thought we played better at Ball State.  It is interesting that we got our best game from Josh Williams who did not log a great number of minutes at Ball State.  Looking forward to a great game on Friday.  Go Zips!  

After that frustrating stretch from post Vegas to after the Toledo game, this team is once again starting to show why myself, and many others on here, had/have high expectations from this team. This was a big win in a place where Akron historically struggles (and yes, I know its now 3 of 4 wins at the Convo, but none have been easy).

Not to take anything away from Josh Williams' performance, but this is easily Big Dog's team. They will go as far as he can carry him, and with his size and skill advantage he has on 90 percent of college big men, it could be a special run. I said it a month ago that I think he will be an NBA player. I'm now convinced. While the NBA has changed with a focus more on bigs who can stretch the floor, there is always going to be a place for a guy who can overpower people in the paint. And Big Dog's biggest NBA attribute will be how well he reads defenses and make the right pass out of the block to an open man on the perimeter.

I'll go as far to say that if he continues to play as well (or even better) than he has in the last month, there is a chance he could be drafted this year (in the second round). But next year (as long as he doesn't make a rash decision .... First vs.second round in the NBA is an absolute game changer in terms of money due to first rounders being guaranteed a 3 year contract), he could be one of the best (if not the best) true centers in college basketball. I can see a 18-10-2 line, which IMO, puts him in the first round discussion. I think we are starting to see a guy who will go down as maybe the best player in Zips history. I don't know about the rest of you, but anytime he has the ball, I get the feeling something positive is going to happen. Now that he is hitting seeming every free throw he takes, just ride the dog and go wherever he takes this team (and it absolutely helps that this team has the shooters to give him room to make the right read).

Holy cow...a quick trip over to BobcatAttack showed some of them complaining about the fact that Big Dog was able to easily back them down in the post and that it's unfair and shouldn't be allowed because it's too hard to defend. Gotta love MAC basketball fans.