University of California at Santa Barbara

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

Needless to say, this is a must win for Zips.  No result means no championship.  RPI points are already stacking against us.

So, what you are saying to the Gauchos Locos is, "No tortillas for you"?  Hoping the Rowdies get their mojo going on the Gaucho coach's son between the posts.  Go get'em Zips!

Okay, I guess I somehow missed the whole first half and the scoreboard clock was counting down to the second half.  My very bad, but -- there's still that delay of at  least 10-15 secs between video and audio.  Quite disconcerting! :)

Edited by Z.I.P.

1 hour ago, GauchoMike said:

Congrats on the win.

If you're interested in reading a recap on the match from a UCSB perspective, check out my blog entry:

http://gauchosoccer.com/2016/09/12/akron-2-ucsb-0/

Sorry about the video feed.  Very frustrating!

Your match recap is actually pretty accurate.  Najem's score after a scramble was quality.  His PK attempt was horrible.

Zips are better than they showed.  We are missing key personnel.

10 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Sorry about the video feed.  Very frustrating!

Your match recap is actually pretty accurate.  Najem's score after a scramble was quality.  His PK attempt was horrible.

Zips are better than they showed.  We are missing key personnel.

Any insiders care to fill us in on where Souto has been?

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Great to see the Zips bounce back from the disappointing west coast trip with a couple of nice wins. 

I am very happy for the coaches and the players.  They showed a great deal of character after getting steamrolled at UCLA.    Great defensive effort in both of the last 2 games against two high scoring forwards...Timmy Mueller and Dupuy from UCSB.   I have to give coach Embick a lot of credit for sitting an All MAC performer in Sam Gainford for most of the last 2 games and giving Skye Harter an opportunity.   The redshirt freshman made his coach look very smart.

Last year, the team really took off when Coach Embick moved Andrew Souders to an outside DB spot and inserted Danilo as one of the center backs.  At the beginning of last year, no one expected Danilo to be a key contributor.   Last night, Brad moved to an outside back position and Shane Wiedt joined Danilo as a center back.  I hope that change works as well as last year's change.  Coach Embick, Coach Leo and the other coaches have the courage and the knowledge to make needed changes.

I can not say enough good things about Jonathan Lewis.     His effort level is absolutely outstanding and he is going to get better as the year goes along.   Nick Hinds has a tremendous amount of skill and he is also quite tenacious.  Very happy that these 2 young men from Plantation,FL are playing soccer for the Zips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Any insiders care to fill us in on where Souto has been?

I am not an insider. But I know where insiders live.

Our erstwhile Samba MF is being punished, and rightfully so.  How many matches is anyone's guess. 

My guess is that he will play in Tulsa. But I really don't even know if he remains in country.  I have not attended practices since early August.  And no one has seen the guy.  It is all hush hush.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Last night, Brad moved to an outside back position and Shane Wiedt joined Danilo as a center back.  I hope that change works as well as last year's change.  Coach Embick, Coach Leo and the other coaches have the courage and the knowledge to make needed changes.

I agree that this change has made an immediate impact, but it actually was initiated on Friday against the Beavers.  I believe this adjustment gives the Zips defense a little more strength in the air down the middle.  Hopefully it will pay dividends on the road as well (could the Zips' road and home form be any more different this year? That's another topic entirely.).

We are nationally ranked year in and year out, bagged a National Championship in 2010, were in the hunt again last year but can't offer our fans and the fans of quality schools that agree to play at our place a decent video stream? Very, very embarrassing and frustrating.

I know funds are tight but figuring out how to keep the audio in sync with the video, keeping others on top of the press box from obstructing the camera, leveling the camera and following the action smoothly and with the appropriate amount of zoom doesn't cost a dime. In these respects, the bar is set F-A-R too low.

Our apologies, GauchoMike, and others who like to follow their team when they travel to Akron. We'll get there.

• Like 2