Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational

clarkwgriswold

Sitting here, watching Stephen Austin play Southern Miss  

in the Diamond Head Classic and having a good laugh at the discussion of basketball history. ;)  I followed the Miners for many years when they and my Rainbow Warriors were in the WAC together.  Between 1984 and 1992, Haskins teams played in the NCAA tournament 8 times in 9 seasons.  They went downhill after his retirement.  That was about 20 yrs ago.  They've gone so far down that they are now coached by former USC scandalized coach Tim Floyd.  On the other hand, MES is one of a handful of schools to never play in the NCAA tournament.  You're welcome. :)

Edited by Z.I.P.

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Of all the tournaments I have attended with Zips MBB this was by far the nicest. The volunteers did a great job of making the team and us fans feel right at home. Great hospitality area. :CK_brew::D

Yes -- but you've never been to the Diamond Head Classic, where every fan receives a complimentary mai-tai on admission, and Z.I.P. sings "The Hawaiian Christmas Song"  on Christmas morning.  "Mele Kalikimaka is the way we say Merry Christmas, on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day."

4 hours ago, wadszip said:

I think the people who think beating UTEP would've done something for name recognition are way overplaying that. 

I don't think that's anyone's intention at all.  People were "overplaying" the history, legacy and recognition of UTEP in response to those who are failing to recognize the difference between UTEP and Maryland Eastern Shore.   It actually seems quite appropriate that they are being referred to here as MES.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, infofan said:

This is probably before many of you were born but does anyone else remember the Zips playing New Orleans , then coached by present day UTEP coach Tim Floyd, back in the early 90s?  I believe it was the McDonalds Zip Holiday classic tournament.  

Wasn't their center Ervin Johnson?

On 12/23/2016 at 7:38 PM, NWAkron said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but, now that this is all done, I can't wait for our opening MAC beat down of BG.  Nothing better than being in the JAR watching an eastern division MAC game on a cold, January night in Akron.

I'll be moving to Florida just days before the MAC opener and this post made me realize how much I'm going to miss being at Zips MAC games. Such a true statement.