Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, wadszip said:

Haven't tried getting a radio stream. Anybody know what time tip-off is?

The game is on the Fox Sports channel.  58-40?  I was,so busy I just turned it on (at 5:45 HST.)  Who's scoring -- sounds like Big Ant is lighting it up again.

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Noah isn't playing?  Anyone know why?

I don't know, BUT in the first half yesterday, French said that more than one player (sounded like Isaiah and maybe Noah) were suffering from stomach flu.  Maybe that's why those UC-I bigs were pushing Big Dog around so much!  lol

Actually interested in hearing the commercials on the game broadcast.  Sully's Tool Shed has become Sully's Tool and Party Rental!  Sully's was sponsoring the games when I was a little kid in the 60s, I swear.  Is South Akron Awning still around?  Ha ha ha!

Edited by Z.I.P.

Nice win again by the Zips tonight. Not a program-defining monster tournament win, but with the cards they were dealt, they got 2 W's on UTEP's court. The 2nd of which was without our starting point guard (would you have given your left nut for this guard depth after Five Pound Friday?). 

Awesome to see Antino get an MVP trophy in his home state. Bet he didn't expect something like that when he committed to Akron? 

Hopefully the minutes and experience gained by "Bruiser" Hughes and TDM pay some dividends in MAC play. Of the non-starters, they are the ones making the most of their minutes. Aaron Jackson has also done a nice job.

I love this team's chances against anyone in the MAC. As long as Kwan and Big Dog stay out of foul trouble. 

And as as a side note - as crappy as UTEP is this season, it would have been nice to see the Zips waxing them on the ESPN ticker tonight. Kind of like if we'd have beaten that team masquerading as Ohio State in the NIT last season. It's nice to beat a "name" regardless of their existing state.

Go KD! Beat BG and overtake RB!

Safe travels Zips, and we'll see you in 2017!

I listened to the post game broadcast and learned that the tournament, Don Haskins, is named for the coach who the 1966 tournament starting 5 African American players.  I saw the movie, Glory Road that is based on his book and it is a great sports movie although it fudges the facts a little to indicate he won the tournament his first year at the school.  KD indicated that the team was treated extremely well by the hosts and that they would love to come back some day.  I also did not realize that UTEP, the host school, brought in 2 mid majors, and a 4th weaker team, Md. so hopefully the home team would be in the finals against a mid major.  It did not work out that way.  I would like to know why they won't stream the games so fans to the schools can watch their team in the tournament.

KD started Dunn Martin at the point in the first half and then moved Antino to the point in the second half with Josh at the 2.  The change must have worked since we pulled away in the 2nd half and Antino won MVP.  I think Antino plays better at the point.  His frosh year he played some of his best basketball after Noah went down with his ACL tear.  Although I know it won't happen, I wonder how this team would play if Antino started at the one and Noah at the 2?

KD also mentioned how well Ivey is playing and that he scored all his points within 2 feet of the basket on back cuts to the basket and movement without the ball.  That is exactly what this team need, a guy who can score easy points and does not rely on the 3 ball.  KD made a great move putting Ivey in the starting lineup and letting him play through his mistakes. 

25 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree. They had that 1 magical season in 1966, but have made 1 Sweet 16 appearance since 1970. In the grand scheme of things they are just another fish in a very large pond.

To each his own.

To the basketball junkie, beating UTEP carries some weight due to their place in basketball history.  They play in their own 12,500 seat arena, and have a former NBA guy as their coach. 

I stand and by my audacious statement that it would have been nicer to have beaten UTEP than UMES.:wave:

UTEP would have been significant;y better to play, since they play in Conference USA and opponent's opponents make up 25% of a team's RPI (a fact that too many on here like to ignore, just like how the opponent's actual RPI rank has no direct bearing on how much or how little they affect your own team's rank).

UTEP is definitely a better program than East Shore, but so are about 300 other programs. That doesn't make all 300 of those "name" programs. The average fan doesn't know or care UTEP was a beast of a program 50 years ago.

Fun Fact: UTEP is the only D1 NCAA basketball team in the state of Texas to win a national championship.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

UTEP would have been significant;y better to play, since they play in Conference USA and opponent's opponents make up 25% of a team's RPI (a fact that too many on here like to ignore, just like how the opponent's actual RPI rank has no direct bearing on how much or how little they affect your own team's rank).

UTEP also had a much better shot at winning since it was on their home floor. You lose that game and RPI is taking a major tumble. You win and, frankly, it doesn't really matter. Yes, UTEP will be helped more in RPI by being in CUSA compared to Eastern Shore in the MEAC. But if UTEP only wins 2-3 games in CUSA and Eastern Shore goes .500 or better in the MEAC, it's moot.

Let's cut it down the middle and say both go about .500 in league play. Is Akron really going to get that much of an RPI bump? I'm guessing you're talking a couple spots. 

Really, it doesn't matter. The biggest thing was getting out of this tournament 2-0. Playing Eastern Shore was far more likely to make that happen.

16 minutes ago, wadszip said:

Really, it doesn't matter. The biggest thing was getting out of this tournament 2-0. 

Correct.  That's all I am thinking about right now.  And the previous tournament too.  And I hope they all matter, to some extent, because they were all non-home wins

40 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The average fan doesn't know or care UTEP was a beast of a program 50 years ago.

Haskins was a legendary coach with a legendary story.  The program had a cinderalla era and won a national title.  It was a story big enough to eventually inspire a recent Hollywood movie, shown in theaters throughout the country.  

I'd say that's a connection that would garner more attention from basketball fans, if we win his tournament....against his team...on their home floor, than most of the wins we rack up during the course of a year.    

Edited by skip-zip

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

By far.  

And older folks know Don Haskins, and most who follow college basketball also know that Texas Western and UTEP are the same school.  Just a name change.  

Those who follow basketball are aware of Haskins and the Texas Western/UTEP name, and due to the movie "Glory Road," some casual fans who didn't know prior to a couple of years ago may know now (though I can't remember if the movie played it up) that Texas Western is now called UTEP.

But, I'm in my mid 30s and an avid basketball fan. Off the top of my head, the only three things I know about the program are Don Haskins, it was the former Texas Western and that Tim Hardaway starred there in the 80s (the UTEP two-step). All of that is 30 years in the past. I think the people who think beating UTEP would've done something for name recognition are way overplaying that. 

Litmus test for UTEP's name recognition: Can you name ANY of the 9 teams that have beaten them already in this short season besides UMES without looking it up? If the answer is no, which it is, they have no name recognition. End of discussion. We would not have gained any "recognition" for beating a 2-9 mid major.

Edited by LZIp

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Litmus test for UTEP's name recognition: Can you name ANY of the 9 teams that have beaten them already in this short season besides UMES without looking it up? If the answer is no, which it is, they have no name recognition. End of discussion. We would not have gained any "recognition" for beating a 2-9 mid major.

I'll take it a step further. Despite UTEP's history. UTEP beating Akron would've been a bigger eye-brow raiser than Akron beating UTEP for college basketball fans.