Bulls @ Zips (Sat 1-28)

zipfan84

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

A couple of defensive things I've noticed and would like to see modified.  First, we trap the ballhandler every time on a high pick.  We never switch it (until after the trap) or just play through the pick.  As a result, we're vulnerable to a team that moves the ball finds the big man quickly coming off of the pick.  Also, I don't recall seeing a second of zone this year.  I'm not a bog fan of the zone, but It is something we ought to trot out occasionally, even for a couple of possessions, for a different look.

I've always thought this. Switch it up for a possession or two now and then to keep them honest. Throw in a half court trap or a little zone for a bit. Maybe it forces them to burn a timeout, or forces them into a bad decision. Going to the 3-2 a few years ago against buffalo started a huge run for us that game.

1 hour ago, ZachTheZip said:

Half the whistles blown weren't fouls last night. The refs took over the game from the beginning and never let a game flow develop.

This.

Despite the score being so tight all night, there was no flow to the game and the result was that, IMHO, it was actually kinda boring.

4 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This.

Despite the score being so tight all night, there was no flow to the game and the result was that, IMHO, it was actually kinda boring.

I'm alright with it, they called it by the rules. I posted it earlier in the thread, but Buffalo plays a very aggressive man defense and if hand checks weren't called we were at a disadvantage from the get-go. Do I personally like the rule? Not so much, but it's been there for a few years now. Don't like getting the little calls? Then adjust. I think we did a better job adjusting to it.

I agree with you Zippy5.  Buffalo had 3 players foul out last night, and deservedly so.   That means that our competitor was disregarding the rules, which would have provided a disadvantage to us if they were not enforced.

If that means that our game has to last 10 minutes longer, I'm all for it.  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2017 at 5:50 AM, kreed5120 said:

People are asking why the Bulls don't have a better record. The answer is sure they have some guys that can dribble penetrate, but they came into last night shooting 27% as a team from 3 point land. With those low of percentages, teams can play off them to limit dribble penetration. Against Akron Buffalo went 10/22 from 3 for a 45.5% shooting. When they are shooting that hot from behind the arc it is pretty much pick your poison. Do you play them tight making it easier for them to beat you on dribble penetration or do you give them space and let them beat you with the 3. Unfortunately we don't have guards with the lateral quickness and determination to do both.

I believe I read in the pre-game notes to this one, that the Bulls were averaging just over 4 made 3-pointers a game.  They hit 10 against us, which I guess is 18 extra points (not sure what their PPG average was).  But, at the same time, as I reported during the second half, 32 of their first 52 shot attempts were layups!  Now WHO was picking WHOM'S poison?  Luckily, I think they missed at least a third of those lay-ups.  Bottom line, as far as I see it is, we wouldn't have won this game in years gone by, because we wouldn't have had a KC to make those 24-footers.  But, chances are, Big Dog would have still missed a slew of FTs!

40 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I believe I read in the pre-game notes to this one, that the Bulls were averaging just over 4 made 3-pointers a game.  They hit 10 against us, which I guess is 18 extra points (not sure what their PPG average was).  But, at the same time, as I reported during the second half, 32 of their first 52 shot attempts were layups!  Now WHO was picking WHOM'S poison?  Luckily, I think they missed at least a third of those lay-ups.  Bottom line, as far as I see it is, we wouldn't have won this game in years gone by, because we wouldn't have had a KC to make those 24-footers.  But, chances are, Big Dog would have still missed a slew of FTs!

I don't have numbers, but I felt we did a slightly better job of running them off the 3 point line in the 2nd half. This however resulted in them blowing past us on their way to the basket. We don't have guys that can both play tight and keep their man in front of them. We tried to stop both and it resulted in us stopping neither. 

This is a poor defensive team and honestly I'm not sure it has the ability to ever be good giving what I've seen from our personnel. Hopefully we can get it to average and keep playing at a high level offensively.

Edited by kreed5120