Summer 2017 workouts

zzx

12 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I was just curious about something I've wondered for a while -- are the athletes who arrive "early", be it for Summer workouts or incoming freshmen who grad early -- able to stay in the dorms or do they have to find housing and pay rent? 

Johns started spring semester, the rest of new players reported in early June.  Freshman have to live in dorms (they are in them already for summer stuff) & after your freshman year you can live in house just off campus.  NCAA schollies have changed significantly, Freshman & players who live in dorm have all expenses covered for education, room & board & food plus a few hundred a month for other expenses. If you elect after your freshman year to live off campus you lose the room & board & food part of your schollie & instead of a few hundred a month for expenses you get a little over 1k a month for your expenses.

Hope that answers your ?  They did 3 weeks of conditioning & lifting in June.  I don't think coaches are allowed to coach during this time but coach Sleeve & his group work them pretty hard & from my understanding the upperclassmen lead drills on the football field.

They are in summer 1 classes, they were off the football grind last week & returned this week.  This week is the last week of summer 1 classes.  In August camp starts & it is an all day job.

i know some of the local players from coaching in area and always ask a bunch of ?'s when I see them around.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I'm not so sure about having to take classes for the room & board over the summer

I think they generally like them taking 1-2 classes to help them acclimate without the pressure of the season and to enable them to take lighter schedules during the season. I don't think you can be considered an official part of the team until you are enrolled, which means taking classes. I might be mixing up some info here, however.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:34 PM, Z.I.P. said:

So, I take it the incoming players (frosh) have to be taking classes to get room & board.  That must be true for others who are in summer work-outs too.  That was my basic question.

Usually they have them take classes over the summer to lighten the course load in the fall no?  So then every student is only taking 9 credit hours, as opposed to 12-16. The NCAA has "progress towards degree" rules/legislation.  So I'd assume almost all of them are taking summer classes, and thus have room & board during summer as a result anyways.  Regular students can get room/board over the summer even though their not taking classes as well.

On 6/16/2017 at 10:39 PM, 72 Roo said:

I'm really glad that our team is ready to give dance lessons. Now if they can only give football lessons to our opponents. That will be even more heartening. Remember every other team on our schedule is working the snot out of their players this summer and all are getting bigger, stronger and faster. I love the enthusiasm but after last fall they have something to prove to me. Come on Zips, I want to believe. 

And, if you're not academically eligible, you're doing additional damage to the team.  Sadly, Mr. Jest who posted the 'Dancing with the Stars' video, does not appear on the 2017-18 roster. Hmmmmmm - Hit the books first, then the dance floor. 

56 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I know positive discussion around this forum is frowned upon by the masses, but I thought I'd share this.

From what I'm hearing, a healthy Ball will go a long way to helping this team succeed, run - pass % should be balanced this year if he can handle the workload 

These workout videos are great if they motivate the team.  Other than that they only show what every other team in the country is doing.  It is also fantastic that Warren Ball is a physical specimen but his physique alone doesn't gain a yard, score a touchdown or win a game for the Zips.

That being said, much of the season's success hinges on WB34.  Unless Deltron Sands is a surprise phenom or a freshman comes out of nowhere, the success of the run game rests on Warren's shoulders.  How nervous are y'all gonna be every time he touches the ball in Happy Valley?

I'm gonna be pretty nervous. 

Edited by K92
  • Like 1

I guess I don't get the skepticism where Ball is concerned. 1) He has all of the stars, for those who cared about stars 2) He is a beast, physically - there can be no question as to whether he has the right body type 3) Speed is not an issue 4) He performed well in his two starts for us. 5) One freak injury does not make one injury prone. A broken bone, like he had can happen to the best conditioned athletes.

I get that he has not had the chance to light up the board with stats, yet, but I see nothing but reason to feel highly optimistic about this kid. I am not going to hold it against him that he sat the bench behind Ezekiel Elliot.

47 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I guess I don't get the skepticism where Ball is concerned. 1) He has all of the stars, for those who cared about stars 2) He is a beast, physically - there can be no question as to whether he has the right body type 3) Speed is not an issue 4) He performed well in his two starts for us. 5) One freak injury does not make one injury prone. A broken bone, like he had can happen to the best conditioned athletes.

I get that he has not had the chance to light up the board with stats, yet, but I see nothing but reason to feel highly optimistic about this kid. I am not going to hold it against him that he sat the bench behind Ezekiel Elliot.

I think you said this accurately.  It's skepticism.  

I think most everyone here is seeing everything you see in at least your items 1-4 above.  And along with you, I think that people feeling as if he's "injury prone" might not be valid, although you may not know that he also had a foot injury that once sidelined him for an entire season.   But here's where I think the skepticism enters the picture if we ignore the injury question for a moment. 

His star rating is from his 2011 high school season.  

He's carried a football something like 50 times in the last 6 years?   

It looks like he slipped further down the depth chart behind others besides just Elliott too, after getting decent playing time as a freshman and sophomore. 

If just sitting behind a better starter was the issue, why didn't he find his prospects of playing in his Sr. year to be promising enough to stay? 

I was there to see his long 38 yard carry (and fumble, unfortunately) at Wisconsin.  Impressive run.  But we don't have anything else besides the VMI game to judge him on.  

There's no doubt that ON PAPER it looks like he could be a great MAC RB.  I'm glad he's here.  I think we're all just acting a little frustrated until we actually see a body of work that shows us that this might happen.  

So Jest is off the roster now. Another player vanishing from the team with no explanation. SMH.

He was a big bodied DT that got some experience as a true freshman. He looked like a potential starter or at least rotation guy at a position of need. 

Does anyone have any information on him?

10 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

So Jest is off the roster now. Another player vanishing from the team with no explanation. SMH.

He was a big bodied DT that got some experience as a true freshman. He looked like a potential starter or at least rotation guy at a position of need. 

Does anyone have any information on him?

grades. going juco.

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

I know positive discussion around this forum is frowned upon by the masses, but I thought I'd share this.

OK, I'll bite. I'm bored anyway so what the hell. I disagree that this board frowns on positive discussion. Rather I believe this board is informed and realistic. Our team this season has far too many questions than answers. Certainly a healthy Warren Ball is part of the solution, but he has to run behind a line that could not drive their opponents off the line of scrimmage when needed last year. They could pass block but not own the line. Most people say surely they will be better with a year's experience and training. Until they prove it that expectation is based on hope and not fact. Hope is not a reasonable strategy to build a team on. I believe Ball will excel and make them look good. They will grow as a unit, but that is also based on hope so take it with a grain of salt. 

I welcome positive news wherever you find it LZip.