Game 9—Buffalo Bulls

zipsoutsider

• 1 month later...

Did you see who was playing QB for Buffalo in the second half last Saturday against NIU?  Kyle Vantrease, a true freshman from Stow, OH (who just happens to be my wife's nephew).  The first two QBs are injured, but both are likely to be back this season, so I don't know if we will see him in your game or not.  If so, I guess I will be cheering against you twice this season.  It was pretty wild to get a text on the way home from the Iowa State/Kansas game telling me to get home quickly because Kyle was on TV!   He did pretty well for a true freshman in a tough situation.  His first three drives each started inside his own 10!  That probably didn't happen in his entire career at Stow.  

34 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Did you see who was playing QB for Buffalo in the second half last Saturday against NIU?  Kyle Vantrease, a true freshman from Stow, OH (who just happens to be my wife's nephew).  The first two QBs are injured, but both are likely to be back this season, so I don't know if we will see him in your game or not.  If so, I guess I will be cheering against you twice this season.  It was pretty wild to get a text on the way home from the Iowa State/Kansas game telling me to get home quickly because Kyle was on TV!   He did pretty well for a true freshman in a tough situation.  His first three drives each started inside his own 10!  That probably didn't happen in his entire career at Stow.  

I’ve been tempted to post that “don’t look now, but Cykron will be posting again soon”. When I saw Kyle was playing.  I waited too long!  Plus, don’t want to jinx us, but Kyle scares me as an opponent.  Saw him play HS ball long enough to know I wished he was a Zip!  I even thought youu might come back to your newfound friends for the game.....!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I’ve been tempted to post that “don’t look now, but Cykron will be posting again soon”. When I saw Kyle was playing.  I waited too long!  Plus, don’t want to jinx us, but Kyle scares me as an opponent.  Saw him play HS ball long enough to know I wished he was a Zip!  I even thought youu might come back to your newfound friends for the game.....!

It appears that both of the 1st two QBs at Buffalo are worthy opponents.

13 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I told you guys that I wasn't going away after the Iowa State game . . . even though some might prefer it.  ;)

Khalil Hodge made The Athletics mid season All-G5 team as one of 2 LBs.

Winbush from BSU, Sutton Smith from NIU also made the defensive team. Okorafor from WMU made one of two tackle spots, and Darius Phillips from WMU is the special teams all purpose player. Whatever that is. I'd link but it's a pay site.

Hey @Dr Z - Was not able to get the personnel grouping data we were discussing.

I could not pause the ESPN3 feed and barely had time to get the positions let alone time to jot down player #s

I initially thought ESPN3 would not have the replay available but I've just found that.

I may have time tomorrow to work on that. If so, I'll post in in the Toledo game thread once completed and give you a shout/mention.

• Like 1

Some numbers on the Zips and Bulls from the MAC website. These are CONFERENCE STATS only.

Buffalo: Scoring Offense:#4-30.5/game; Scoring Defense: #10-30.5/game; Total Defense: #11-474.8/game; Rush Defense: #11-222.2/game; Pass Defense:#11-252.5/game;

Rush Offense:#10-107.2/game; Pass Offense-#1-321/game(54.5%); Total Offense-#3-428/game.

Akron: Scoring Offense-#8-25.0/game; Scoring Defense-#5-21.8/game; Total Defense: #10-451/game; Rush Defense-#9-220.8/game; Pass Defense: #8-230/game;

Rush Offense: #9-110.5/game; Pass Offense: #7-212.5/game(56.7%); Total Offense: #10-451.0/game.

5 hours ago, Balsy said:

After looking at the prediction not sure about the  Akron defense 'bouncing back'. I think the offense is going to have to put up some higher numbers than it has been averaging in the conference so far(see above stats). I realize that UB's stats got skewed during the WMU multi overtime game but if the passing game doesn't step up tomorrow its still looks hard for the Zips to run the ball. They are #9 out of 12 conference teams. UB hasn't been any better in that category though. But,Akron has been gashed all season on the ground. Chuck needs to dial up some heavy pressure early on their QB to see how he reacts. Make him throw into the strength of the Zips D,the corners. And, Bowden needs to figure out how to get Woodson off early and score early. The longer UB hangs around,well we know. And,they are certainly not intimidated playing here.

The weather looks like it could be a factor especially if it becomes windy.

Biggest November game in quite a while. They have a real chance to win the division IF they beat Buffalo.

• Like 1