Game 8- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, John Ward said:

Clark just remember most of those stars are hyped up. Seen plenty of 2.3 and 4 stars that should be no stars. In my lifetime I have seen it all.

I wholeheartedly agree.  What I meant was that they shouldn't take a less talented kid over a more talented non-local just because he's local. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Ohio is generally a top 10 state for FBS level talent recruits.  As such, I'd like to see that base of talent utilized by the Zips.  I also think it would also help put some butts in the seats.  That being said, I'd rather have a 3 star kid from Timbuktu than a 2 star kid from a local school.

Either would look good right now…

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 3:08 AM, 94zipgrad said:

Why do you keep saying what do you know?  Not much, go where the ball goes is pee wee, defensively everyone in the box has gap responsibility first, it’s why we have RPO’s in the first place.  Easy to destroy a non disciplined defense. That’s Run, Pass, option, handoff or keep by how the DE reacts, handoff or pass does the LB bite & hit the slant.  Everyone does it now.

Well, the pee wees, mighty mights, etc. are taught the basics. Maybe this team needs to go back to the basics. A gap responsibility? I get that. It's a relatively small area of which to be responsible/defend so why haven't the linemen been able to manage it? Once the ball is moved down field, disengage and go after it! Don't stand around watching the play unfold is what I'm saying when I say "follow the ball."  "Everybody does it now"? Then it should be familiar, easy to read, and defend. Perhaps the Zips need to do things differently. I say, "what do I know" because there are men reading my posts who believe women know nothing about football. I'm just saving them from saying it.

Edited by Football grandma
Wrong word
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:52 AM, Zippyroo said:

Absolutely agree.  I have also seen kids that never got rated for one reason or another and turn out to be a beast.  That is why I never talk down about walk-ons since they often times have something to prove.

Zippyroo, your dead right. Seen that a lot as well. I question the talent scouts and their methods or lack there of evaluating talent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Football grandma said:

Exactly what I've been saying about unknown talent on the Zip sidelines and "unknowns" coming into the game (due to injuries or whatever) and making big plays. Someone is overlooking/underestimating these guys whether it be the scouting staff or ultimately the coaches. Who knows what lurks there? 

Seems like they bring in all these young men and make three fourths of them watch and not participate at all. If they stay then they might possibly get a shot in year two. Not sure their thought process.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, Football grandma said:

Well, the pee wees, mighty mights, etc. are taught the basics. Maybe this team needs to go back to the basics. A gap responsibility? I get that. It's a relatively small area of which to be responsible/defend so why haven't the linemen been able to manage it? Once the ball is moved down field, disengage and go after it! Don't stand around watching the play unfold is what I'm saying when I say "follow the ball."  "Everybody does it now"? Then it should be familiar, easy to read, and defend. Perhaps the Zips need to do things differently. I say, "what do I know" because there are men reading my posts who believe women know nothing about football. I'm just saving them from saying it.

It would be fun to watch 300 (or so) pound linemen racing down field to catch up with a running back or wide receiver. However, it may not last past the first quarter as most of them will be gassed, and cleaning the vomit from the field could require official timeouts.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

It would be fun to watch 300 (or so) pound linemen racing down field to catch up with a running back or wide receiver. However, it may not last past the first quarter as most of them will be gassed, and cleaning the vomit from the field could require official timeouts.

We got one of those guys.  Watch our left guard, #63, he was put in the starting rotation for the OSU game.  He had like 8 pancakes in that game and has been running downfield looking to decleat someone every game.  He has some kind of injury to his right hand and plays with a club. I think that kid is going to be an All-MAC player if we can keep him on the team. Can't wait to see what he can do when he gets the use of his hand back.

1 hour ago, Zippyroo said:

We got one of those guys.  Watch our left guard, #63, he was put in the starting rotation for the OSU game.  He had like 8 pancakes in that game and has been running downfield looking to decleat someone every game.  He has some kind of injury to his right hand and plays with a club. I think that kid is going to be an All-MAC player if we can keep him on the team. Can't wait to see what he can do when he gets the use of his hand back.

Correction, just rewatched the first half of OSU game and #63 is the right guard...

On 10/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, Football grandma said:

I say, "what do I know" because there are men reading my posts who believe women know nothing about football. I'm just saving them from saying it.

All you have to do is read the posts on this forum, and you will quickly see that most of the men who post know nothing about football and have never played sports at a level higher than T-ball or little league.  

Go zips

• Haha 1

I think it is a lot less about who plays than how they prepare for a game. Yes, of course talent matters, but the Zips have not look like a team properly prepare for a gem since Arth arrives. 

It is all about practice...winter conditioning, summers...they have to be taught how to prepare and have coaches that can prepare them.

9 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I think it is a lot less about who plays than how they prepare for a game. Yes, of course talent matters, but the Zips have not look like a team properly prepare for a gem since Arth arrives. 

It is all about practice...winter conditioning, summers...they have to be taught how to prepare and have coaches that can prepare them.

I don't think they were prepared for each opposing team. Know thine enemy! I saw little adjustment in the defense week to week. Does the opposing team favor the run or the pass? Is the QB a mover and a shaker? Analyze the players, their quarks, their tells, weaknesses, then take advantage of them. How do you define "prepare?"