J.D.

TXZipFan

Why was the "be careful what you ask for..." thread closed??? It's definitely worth talking about. Especially because the season is over.First off I don't believe JD has earned a job at a higher level school yet. BUT he has the advantage of a special relationship with the Athletic Director at a school who's coach took a better job. If JD were to leave:I really would not be excited to have an OSU coach come to Akron, besides this year their offense has been pretty basic, and when you have less wealth of talent you need a complex system to overcome the talent gap. I would like their D-Coordinator Heacock but then it will be very important who he hires at O-coordinator because our Offense needs HELP!!! I mentioned Gary Crowton (Oregon O-Coordinator) I would really like to see that, their offense is AWESOME!!!(and it helps he's a disciplinarian) Also after doing some research here are my favorite replacements...1. Gary Crowton (Oregon O-Coordinator)(Has head coaching experience at BYU)2. Scott Loeffler (Michigan Quarterbacks Coach)(From Barberton Ohio) 3. Paul Petrino (Louisville Offensive Coordinator)4. Mike Schultz (TCU Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach)(Coached LT)(Look what they've done with TCU)5. Jim Heacock (Ohio State Defensive Coordinator)What do ya'll think??? Even if it's not probable it's kinda fun to look at....

TX. I really hope JD does not leave. And it looks like everyone is expecting that the UC Coordinator that has the interim post could very well be their next head coach.I see the name Paul Winters circulating on here. For a number of reasons, I would really be dissappointed if we went in that direction.Honestly, I don't think UC would hire JD at this stage. And if that does happen, I would also want to see a D-1 Offensive or Defensive Coordinator get the job. :screwks:

:blink: remember,the guy who gave JD the Akron job is at Cincy...also remember that we will NOT get a big time asst. or anyone else in here nextyear if if Brokenhart leaves..graveyard of coaches? us and Can't...i want to see brookhart take these guys next year...that way we'll know if he's for real or just the Music Man...

I agree with ya'll (thrown in for Tex Zip) that I would like to see JD stay another year, or more, and show he can coach. After this year I feel he has much to prove. He lost control of this team and things kinda spiraled out of control. My belief is that he has the ability. I also believe that if he shows it he will stay for no more than two years. We are not faced with a situation of if JD will leave, but rather when JD will leave.We need to find that rare individual, like KD, who cares more about his legacy than about jumping up to better jobs. Administration should support him and get out of his way. Akron needs to build a following, a tradition, and an expectation of victory. That takes many, many years, but leaves a solid foundation to build from. This is a pipedream, but you got to start somewhere. My dream coach would be someone who wants to be at Akron, loves Akron, and wants to keep taking it to the next level. He will not make a lot of money. But as the program grows he will make more and be known as the guy who made Akron reach its potential, which is beyond the MAC.Now I'm signing off and going to bed to dream some more. It may be crazy, but high goals are never achieved until someone dares to dream them. Go Zips! :thumb:

I was listening to sports talk radio yesterday out of Cincinnati, and they mentioned that JD was a looooooooooong shot at best. It appears that MT and the administration are taking a lot of heat for MD leaving for the State job. As the host said hiring JD would be a very tough sell to the UC fan base and MT is not real popular in UC land at the present time.

I’m not going to say that I expect JD to leave for Cincy, but I also wouldn’t be totally shocked if he did. According to the USA Today, Dantonio made a total of $495K with a max bonus of $702K for this year. This compares to JD getting $208K with a max bonus of $18K with the Zips. The JD/MT connection is well documented and I still feel that the body of JD’s work at Akron probably remains as positive in many circles.Crowton also was a very successful HC at Louisiana Tech, but I don’t think he’d seriously consider Akron. Why are some people down on Paul Winters, may I ask? Do people realize how pathetic the Wayne St. program was before he took over? I have heard that Dantonio actually wanted Winters as his OC at Cincy early on, but Paul has already taken the Wayne St. job. Am I the only one who thinks that the Zip offense was perfectly acceptable under LO, and it was always the D that let us down?On a side note, I also heard that Winters might be in line for the Michigan St. OC position under Dantonio.Here are my 3 to throw in the discussion (although I don’t want JD to leave just yet).1) Paul Winters2) Tim Rose (DC at Toledo, 1 time HC at Miami U)3) Larry Kehres (never gonna happen I suppose) :cheers:

Why are some people down on Paul Winters, may I ask?
I saw enough of Paul Winters during Lee Owens' tenure. His offense put up points fine...until the game was on the line. There were countless games under his watch that required only a simple first down to "ice"...and Paul choked. Putting up 65 on Howard is great...but what matters is when you need a 1st down to ice a game against Marshall or UConn...or a TD vs. Wisconsin...that you can come up with something to get the job done. Winters NEVER came up with that play.If Paul Winters were selected as the next Akron football coach out of all the available candidates in North America, that would be the sign of a really stupid, lazy AD.K.e.n.t can have him after Martin shoots himself in the head.

CK, I guess I would counter that if the D had been even remotely helpful in those years, maybe Winters' O wouldn't have been put in the position to contantly carry the team. I also go back to the 2000 Marshall game. If Jake Shifino doesn't drop a sure 1st down pass, Leftwich and company probably don't get the ball back and the Zips may have had their 1st MAC East championship a few years earlier. Winters' O moved the ball against just about every team it faced. It was well balanced, almost to a ridiculous level at time (I recall one year being right at 50/50 pass vs. run yards). These are simply my opinions. Glad to have a place to voice them with other Zip fans!

First of all, it would be a complete disaster to lose J.D. I have voiced my thoughts regarding this before so I won't do it again. The one thing I don't like about him is the notion that he will leave at some point for a bigger job (see Akron soccer 2005/2006). If you read the comments from Dantonio......I could see J.D. mouthing the same sentiments in the future about Akron(hopefully not too soon).What I have always hoped for is coaching stability so the mention of Paul Winters is intriguing to me. Since I known him personally and now look at his recent progress at Wayne St, Paul would be a great candidate. One thing to consider is his hometown is Akron, he played at Akron (for Coach D), and coached at Akron (for Coach D). What we would have is the possibility of getting a coach who wants to be in Akron for his career and build a legacy. Couple that with K.D. staying and we could have something to build on for a long while. Now that would get my support!!! :rock: For those of you that want to dwell on play calling from past games......drop it. Although the offensive philosophy will come from the head coach, it is rare that they call all of the plays on game day. We need a leader that can attract talent and wants to stay. That is what we had with Coach D.

I disagree. We need a coach that can win. Period. If he's winning, and another school covets him, good for him. We should have an AD in place who can select another great coach.
A revolving door does nothing for recruiting, winning and bonding with the community. Let me ask you this......If you are a winning coach at Akron, how long do you stay? 3 yrs? 4 yrs? 5 years (if you are here 5 yrs, you are probably not winning). How is that a positive - having to start over every 3-4 years? Again, look at our soccer team. Caleb has always been a winner and was probably the best candidate available. The fact is we were ranked #1 last year, returned a great team and not only did we not make post season, we did'nt win our conference.

Mark Dantonio's hiring at Michigan State is leaving some Cincinnati recruits wondering where they stand.  "We've got to find out if UC is going to honor their scholarship offers," Dennis Heck, head coach of Randy Martinez at Teaneck High School, told the Cincinnati Enquirer.Martinez is a Cincinnati verbal commit."Today is not a good day for us. Some new coach is going to come on board who doesn't know these kids and didn't recruit them. UC offered a scholarship in writing. My kid accepted it. The university should be held accountable for that."
This is what happens to recruiting when there is not stability with the coaches. On that note, if J.D. stays maybe we can swoop in on Cincy recruits.

:unsure: lets throw the possibility of a new stadium into the 'when do we get another coach in here' discussion...if they build it will he stay?...or will they come?.. or...do they build it if the team stinks in 2 years?...a brand new facility might be a big incentive for Brokenhart to stay a couple extra years or attract a quality replacement...by the way TXZip...i lived in Abilene,Plano,Austin..sorry folks

:blink: remember,the guy who gave JD the Akron job is at Cincy...also remember that we will NOT get a big time asst. or anyone else in here nextyear if if Brokenhart leaves..graveyard of coaches? us and Can't...i want to see brookhart take these guys next year...that way we'll know if he's for real or just the Music Man...
(Posted Wednesday)http://www.footballscoop.com/scoop.htmCincinnati scoop: add J.D.Brookhart of Akron to the list. Connections with the AD. Also add Louisville's defensive coordinator Mike Cassity

Well, looks like JD is sticking around a little longer. Cincy has decided to go with Brian Kelly of Central Michigan. If JD gets us rolling again then we'll look back on this season like it was the best thing to happen to this program. Now we can get ready for next year, and it will be a big one with us traveling to OSU and Indiana coming to the bowl along with us traveling to a beatable Army team.