November 8th - current RPI's and conference tournaments

Final RPIs are up. Akron is #27. Last team in (if going strictly by RPI) is #37 Loyola Marymount. Out are Michigan, Rhode Island, Cornell, Elon, Northeastern, Stanford, VCU, Central Arkansas, BUGS. 

The Zips are a lock for a slot. Might even get a home game.

Sure, but check out the records of the teams I listed who are out by RPI. On what basis would one of those teams get in over Akron? Akron has the best win, over #7 Pitt, of any them, a better strength-of-schedule than any except Michigan, which is 1-6-0 against the top 25 while Akron is 2-2-2. Etc etc. 

20 minutes ago, SBZipfan said:

Final RPIs are up. Akron is #27. Last team in (if going strictly by RPI) is #37 Loyola Marymount. Out are Michigan, Rhode Island, Cornell, Elon, Northeastern, Stanford, VCU, Central Arkansas, BUGS. 

The Zips are a lock for a slot. Might even get a home game.

http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/Tournament Projection

I agree very much with you .....that it would take an absolute royal screw job by the NCAA for the zips not to get in.   If you look at Gaucho Dan's tournament projections (strictly by RPI), the zips are the 17th ranked at large team out of 25.   For the Zips not to get in, the NCAA committee would have to embarrass themselves by taking at least 9 teams with a lower RPI than AKRON.

As SBZipfan points out, the zips have some impressive results....win over regular season ACC champ Pitt, win over Big Ten regular season and tournament champ Penn State and ties against two top 25 teams...West Virginia and Indiana

last 4 teams in..according to Gaucho Dan...34. Wake Forest ; 35. Charlotte ; 36. Georgia State and 37. Loyola Marymount

we all know that the NCAA loves their big conferences....I will be shocked if #38 Michigan does not get in....the Big Ten will go nuts if they only get 3 in the tourney

let's look at the conference breakdown of the 25 at large teams...projected by Gaucho Dan

ACC - 7

Duke, Clemson, Pitt, North Carolina, VA Tech, Louisville and Wake Forest

Big East - 4

Providence, Creighton, Villanova and St. Johns

Conference USA - 3

Marshall, FIU and Charlotte

Mid American Conference - 3

West Virginia, Akron and Georgia State

Big Ten - 2

Indiana, Maryland

PAC 12 -2 

Washington, UCLA

West Coast Conference - 2

Portland, Loyola Marymount

American East - 1

#11 New Hampshire

WAC - 1 

#12 Grand Canyon

I am sure that the PAC 12 guys on the committee will want their league to have more teams than the MAC....or conference USA

I would not be shocked to see Michigan and Stanford make the field...with GA State, Loyola Marymount or Charlotte...most likely to just miss

• Like 1

I would love Akron to be in…but in all honesty…how could they be in?  If you can’t make your conference top 4, that is bad.  Especially with so few teams in the MAC.  I’m not sure they deserve it, no matter their RPI.  That being said I hope they make it, but if they don’t they only have themselves to blame. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

I would love Akron to be in…but in all honesty…how could they be in?  If you can’t make your conference top 4, that is bad.  Especially with so few teams in the MAC.  I’m not sure they deserve it, no matter their RPI.  That being said I hope they make it, but if they don’t they only have themselves to blame. 

If it comes down to UA vs. GA State, the selection committee has to go GA State:

- Better overall record

- Better MAC record

- Won head to head 3-1 ON ROAD

- Tournament finalist; Lost in OT

1 hour ago, bigzipguy said:

Do not be shocked if Ga State makes it in. They beat us at our place and went to O.T. at N. ILL before they lost in the tournament finals.

They should make it.  That home result hurt big time.

1 hour ago, zippypitt said:

If it comes down to UA vs. GA State, the selection committee has to go GA State:

- Better overall record

- Better MAC record

- Won head to head 3-1 ON ROAD

- Tournament finalist; Lost in OT

That is all outweighed by Akron's much stronger overall schedule (#25 vs #80) and much better results against the top 25 (2-2-2 vs 1-3-0). The committee wants teams that have shown they can compete at a high level. Akron's case for that is much stronger than GA State's. 

That said, I expect GA State to get in along with Akron.

Edited by SBZipfan

NIU has the MAC auto bid. RPI #19 WVU and #26 Akron are almost certainly in. #36 GaSt is much less certain, they are the next-to-last team in by pure RPI. Their best wins are over WVU and Akron. A team like #39 Michigan, which played a much tougher schedule but lost to most of those tough teams (but beat #13 Indiana) could get in ahead of GaSt. It's pretty random for the last handful of teams in or out.

• Like 2

I will go out on a limb...and probably show that I am awful at predictions....

Akron gets in...and gets a home game

Michigan will get in and play at Akron

Winner of that game will have to play at Notre Dame

go, zips

2nd guess....Akron gets in....but NCAA treats them poorly

Akron gets sent to play at Louisville in first round

Winner has to go play at Kentucky