shhhh, silent marketing?

Zipster

I remember "talk" of this last year. And now, I am beginning to get a little nervous about it this year. I think we may end up having dismal crowds this season, while we SHOULD BE getting pumped up!I have yet to see a basketball billboard around town. No excitement being built up in the newspapers. Why didn't we have a Midnight Madness or Halloween Hoops??? Is the community even aware that we are expecting great things from AU hoops this year?I have 3 grandkids that look forward to every home game. They can tell you the stats on every player. Zippy should be visiting classrooms promoting Zips athletics. Let's get the school kids excited which will then bring more families to games for a great evening close to home!C'mon AU Marketing. It can't be done without YOU. Let's fill the JAR and give this team the kind of support that it needs to be successful in every way!Just my .02

My guess - The cracker-box JAR will sell out several times this season regardles of spending $$ on billboards. Why spend the cash for Marketing if people are going to come anyhow? The Zips aren't exactly swimming in money, so I think they need to be selective where it is spent.I do think there should be billboards arounf town to raise public awareness of the program regardless, but that's just my opinion. I don't think there is any fear that the basketball team won't meet expectations. If someone is afraid of that, they should be fired. :gun:

I thought it was once called Akron City College, but I don't think it has ever been Akron U. Just a local colloquialism. It appears to have been named the Municipal University of Akron from 1913 till 1967 when it became a state university and changed to the University of Akron.http://www3.uakron.edu/ips/overview/uahist.htmhttp://www.uakron.edu/resources/history/UAhistory.php

We've got big games against Nevada and Loyola coming up in late December when students are on break and probably away from campus. I hope the UofA and AK-ROWDIE management make sure that the word gets out enough (billboards, newspaper, ZipsNation.org, whatever) to absolutely pack the JAR for Nevada in particular. It wouldn't hurt to have that happen for Loyola as well. Haven't seen anything so far. The JAR needs to feel like a Can't@Akron game when Nevada rolls into town.

The fact that it has been much more difficult this season than last to buy a single-game lower reserved seat (and I do mean 1 seat) seems to indicate that UA was quite successful in selling season tickets. Last year, I sat in Section J, Row C (directly behind the Zips bench) quite often without a season ticket. This year, the best I have been able to do is Section B or I, Row F.

I was a student in the early 80's, and remember having a t-shirt that said "Akron University". So, I believe they were using that name for awhile, and changed it to The University of Akron sometime around 1990.I've worked in sales and marketing for the past 15 years, and some things I'm seeing are really hard to believe as well. Not only is the volume of marketing really lacking, but the message is flawed as well. Has anyone heard the basketball commercials that say something like "come fear the roo and support the zips"? Well, if I remember correctly, its our OPPONENTS that are supposed to fear the roo, not us. Plus, the Fear The Roo concept is supposed to be a mean characterization of Zippy. Yet, the music in the ads sound like The Wiggles are singing it. It just totally misses the mark.This really is the nature of athletic administration. It's not anyone's fault. People are brought in from other places, and simply do not have a grasp of the school, the city, and the fans. This creates a situation where you can easily communicate the wrong message, or target the wrong audience. And those are essential elements in a marketing campaign. Look at Can't's ads in the Beacon Journal with their "On The Hunt" campaign. You can say what you want about Can't, but I can easily tell that those ads were created by professionals who knew what they were doing, knew their audience, and came up with a very creative concept to try to reach them.However, in spite of their ads they still suck. :screwks: