How does it taste?

The Ak-rowdies get a bitch slap from the athletic department? It appears so. Profoundly disappointing.Click for an all-time lowI guess the fact that the kids didn't pack the house for Tiffin, Hillsdale and Winston-Salem-Marlboro is their own fault. :P I'm up for an alternative point of view here. Someone tell me why you'd alienate your student body for a measly $1,500? I can't wait until we beat Nevada and the rich old farts storm the floor in their walkers.Hey...on the other hand, it appears the "AK-Oldies" has officially formed?

ATTENTION ALL AK-ROWDIES:Thanks to the actions taken by the University of Akron Athletic Department in choosing to SELL seats set aside for your student support over break, you are STRONGLY encouraged to boycott all lower level seating for the remainder of the season. You are still encouraged to support our teams, but do so from general admission seating. We need to send a message to this administration that an insult of this proportion is NOT acceptable. Please pass this message onto your friends. It will be posted on ALL Zips facebook groups and all MySpace Zips groups. Contact me via PM on this site or through AIM. This starts TOMORROW.

Ummm..... maybe it has something to do with the fact that all the "AK-Rowdies" are home on Christmas break??? I've seen a lot of schools sell tickets in the student section during winter break. It's pretty common practice. Why let premium seating sit empty when there's no student population on campus to fill them?? They'll be given the section back at the start of the second semester.

Ummm..... maybe it has something to do with the fact that all the "AK-Rowdies" are home on Christmas break??? I've seen a lot of schools sell tickets in the student section during winter break. It's pretty common practice. Why let premium seating sit empty when there's no student population on campus to fill them?? They'll be given the section back at the start of the second semester.
I think someone is in denial of Akron still being a commuter campus... :wall:

Ummm..... maybe it has something to do with the fact that all the "AK-Rowdies" are home on Christmas break??? I've seen a lot of schools sell tickets in the student section during winter break.  It's pretty common practice.  Why let premium seating sit empty when there's no student population on campus to fill them?? They'll be given the section back at the start of the second semester.
I think someone is in denial of Akron still being a commuter campus... :wall:
Amen. On-campus dorms only represent about 15-20% of the student population, if that. Most of us live near campus, and pay rent, and therefore dont leave our houses unoccupied for four entire weeks. Especially in light of recent events on the south side of campus. It's a smack in the face, end of story.

1 - Only 1/10 of the student body in Akron live on campus and the other 9/10 go no where during the break so that's no excuse.2 - That's in no way premium seating. the seats are behind the baskets' poles.More over, did we sell out all the lower reserve seats so we start selling the student section ? what the hell.To all Rowdies, please have your gold shirts on and please please please do not go down to the south end of the section (the one that is still ours)... we should all sit together in the GA and we should add some new chants to our list.We are on strike, we have to deliver a message to our AD... we are not sheep, and we are not students in the university of cuba.

The Ak-rowdies get a bitch slap from the athletic department? It appears so. Profoundly disappointing.Click for an all-time lowI guess the fact that the kids didn't pack the house for Tiffin, Hillsdale and Winston-Salem-Marlboro is their own fault. :P I'm up for an alternative point of view here. Someone tell me why you'd alienate your student body for a measly $1,500? I can't wait until we beat Nevada and the rich old farts storm the floor in their walkers.Hey...on the other hand, it appears the "AK-Oldies" has officially formed?
What make anyone think that they will sell those seats and rake in another $1,500? Years ago my son's and I use to sit there and the only reason we did is that we were low down, near the action and the seats were cheap. For watching the game they suck.The Athletic Dept. is not only incompetent but kinda dumb, they deserve an award :moon:

Having seen 100's of U of A basketball games at the JAR, give me some credit for knowing the student section can be somewhat unpopulated during break. I will add the following points regarding the stupidity of this move:We've never played a Top-20 team during break. And if we have played a decent team during that time, our team was so pathetic it didn't warrant attending. The Nevada game is unprecedented. It should not be treated like games in the past. This is a game where we need our "Rowdiest" fans on the floor.Yes, U of A is primarily a commuter school. But the near/on campus population is bigger than anyone ever admits.The students that live at home live in Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, Green, etc. For the Nevada game, they would have shown up in numbers to fill the lower JAR.Lastly and most importantly: It is the way it was handled. The students were apparently ambushed with this one. Perception is reality, and the perception is they were bitch-slapped. If U of A wanted to sell those tickets, they could have done so on game day assuming the students didn't show up. A simple announcement saying: "If you aren't at the game and in your seat by 7:15pm, you are not guaranteed a seat in the lower JAR" would have been all it took. Then it is on the students if it isn't filled and Mack isn't the villain.What they should have done is the above...and then passed out tickets for the lower section to any student entering the gates with a valid ID. Whether they're officially a "Rowdy" or not.It reminds me of how the football parking situation was handled. "F you guys that have parked here forever...get the F out....we're selling your spots to $5,000 donors." Is there a "Tact 101" course at the University that someone could offer to the Athletic Department?

I wonder if the plan all along for the Nevada game has been to use it as a revenue generator for the cash-starved athletic department? Did they hype THE game at ALL to students and student groups (frats, sororities, etc.) the last couple of months to generate excitement and encourage students to "return" to campus to fill the JAR upstairs and downstairs on 12/22? The athletic department should have been doing everything they could during the fall semester to make DAMN sure the JAR is packed and full of excitement when the Wolf Pack walk out onto the court. My son and I were in Reno last February and that certainly was the case in Nevada's 11,000+-seat facility. Lots of LOUD students fairly close to the floor - a great atmosphere. Shame on Mack and the rest of the department if they didn't do everything possible to fill both sections of seats behind the basket with students before offering them to the general public. VERY rare opportunity to "kick it up a notch" at the JAR and the athletic department is totally missing the boat in what appears to be the pursuit of a few more dollars. The chance to FINALLY knock off a ranked opponent is worth WAY more than the few extra dollars they'll generate by selling those seats. ALWAYS a Zips fan but this kind of stuff has GOT to go. :wall: One other thought ... pissing students off now does ZERO to generate financial support in the future. My wife and two kids support Akron in the stands and financially because of my enthusiasm. My passion for and belief in Akron is laying the foundation for at least two more alumni in the future who grew up cheering for Zip athletics. Bitch-slap me enough in my full-of-piss-and-vinegar years on campus and I might have turned out just like many other Akron "alumi" who show nothing more than total apathy towards the U of A and sit at home on Saturdays cheering for the Buckeyes instead.DRAG a friend to the JAR Friday night! GO ZIPS!

Simply continuing along this line... I drove to the JAR last Tuesday to inquire about season tickets. The two people behind the 'bullet-proof glass' at the JAR didn't even acknowledge my presence for about a minute, let alone smile or say 'Hi.' Their actions communicated that I was bothering them and interupting their conversation in order for them to simply toss a Season Ticket Pamphlet through the window at me... and then, of course, immediately go back to carrying on with their conversation. I don't think I'm nit-picking here. I think this is highly insulting, let alone absolutely unprofessional. I believe this betrays and illustrates a very real lack of tact, intelligence and interpersonal relations skills that must transcend the athletics department. Does it start at the top and trickle down? Fortunately, from all accounts, it ends with JD and KD. From all accounts they are as gregarious and eager to talk with/spend time with the fans as any coaches you'll ever meet. But the people that are supposed to be public-relations professionals, i.e., the athletics administration (marketing, sales) seem as incredibly rude and inept as could possibly be imagined in one's worst nightmares. With the incredible apathy from the Akron area towards Zips athletics, these people should be going above-and-beyond the call of duty towards potential fans; they should be bending over backwards to accomodate and entertain potential customers. Instead, they seem to be fighting against even the loyal Zips' fans! Who needs to be fired? Something drastic needs to happen. A change in overall philosophy and personality is desperately needed. Again, I DO NOT feel I am overreacting. This is profound incompetence.At least we on this board are feeling frustrated and outraged at this athletics administration. That is NOT the opposite of love. The opposite of love is apathy. So, kudos to everyone in The Nation!!!

As an alum for many decades, I have probably never been as upset with administrative decisions as I am right now.As a career sales and marketing executive, I've noticed countless huge mistakes with the marketing efforts. Now they top it off by alienating the only organized group with a collective voice to help our teams achieve victory. And for what? A few extra dollars?Yes, I've been one of those people that has spent many games in those lower reserved seats. But someday soon, I'll be old and want to sit at home and listen to the radio instead. So, I have to ask this question.....How can you possibly benefit from taking the students off the floor, and alienating the next group of alums that will someday be the people that you call on to purchase your cherished lower-reserved seats?Nice job.

So, I have to ask this question.....How can you possibly benefit from taking the students off the floor, and alienating the next group of alums that will someday be the people that you call on to purchase your cherished lower-reserved seats?Nice job.
See that's the point. They don't care. They won't be here when this happens. This is a pit stop for them before the go on to, in their minds, bigger and better things. They don't care about 5-20 years down the road. They are thinking in the 2-3 year mind frame. They have no loyalty or concerns about the future!

In all due-diligence, the athletics administration HAS to read this board, right?! I mean, what a priceless resource this board is, in order to glean opinion from and insight of your most loyal consumers? So, if the athletics administration is not somehow aware of this thread already, heads should roll! My fear is that they don't even take time to get familiar with the discussions on this board. Again, the thoughts, whether intelligent or not, of their MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!

In all due-diligence, the athletics administration HAS to read this board, right?! I mean, what a priceless resource this board is, in order to glean opinion from and insight of your most loyal consumers? So, if the athletics administration is not somehow aware of this thread already, heads should roll! My fear is that they don't even take time to get familiar with the discussions on this board. Again, the thoughts, whether intelligent or not, of their MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!
trust me, they read the board. you know that ;)

yep. thanks for the boycott. and smack in the face two, they advertised the seats (WHICH WERE COMPLETELY EMPTY, MINUS A FEW FOLKS THEY THREW DOWN THERE JUST BEFORE TIP) for the Nevada game. I guess I cant complain though...they should know more students will show up for nevada. But I guess that doesnt matter.

Letters and/or emails detailing the fans' frustration are not a bad idea. I would recommend that the letters and emails be directed to President Proenza, and VP of Finance, Dr. F. John Case, and cc the Athletic Dept.The obtuse Athletic Department would likely pay little if any attention to fans letters, as they've demonstrated their "loyalty" to the fan base in many prior instances. Letters to Proenza and Case work better because Proenza controls the Athletic Dept and Case controls the university pursestrings including determining student fees allocated to the Athletic Department. This will provide for accountability and real analysis.

Are you serious! :wall: They could care less about what the paying customer thinks. :chair: