Akron to play Ohio State to open the 2024 season

LZIp

19 minutes ago, ZipCat said:

IDK I agree with GP1 on this point. That particular program for next season looks like it's definitely in decline. If we had a better Akron team, that's one I would highlight as a potential upset like the Akron vs. Michigan game a decade ago.

This is insane. OSU has the number one rated recruiting class and number one transfer portal class. Five of the portal transfers are projected to be starters. OSU got outplayed by Michigan in the first quarter and then was even or better in the remaining three quarters. They have hired Bill O'Brien to be their OC. If he does not take the BC job he will improve their O remarkably. The Mizzu game was bad, but the team was not dialed in for a meaningless game. Ryan Day has made the changes needed. Three O coaches have been fired and a new OC hired. I don't like OSU all that well, but I do recognize they are an elite top five program year in year out.

2 hours ago, ZipCat said:

IDK I agree with GP1 on this point. That particular program for next season looks like it's definitely in decline. If we had a better Akron team, that's one I would highlight as a potential upset like the Akron vs. Michigan game a decade ago.

OSU just had their brand new OC leave to coach a horrible BC program. That's a bad look for OSU. 

If you think it looks bad now, wait until the Alabama transfers who came with O'Brien bail out. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, Hilltopper said:

https://570wkbn.iheart.com/content/2022-11-04-the-attendance-at-fcs-football-games-and-ysu/

"Did we build FCS stadiums too large? At one time they were right sized for Youngstown State. It was common to see 20 thousand turn out for a Penguin game. In this day and age 12,000 is a good crowd and that has not happened much this year. Saturday 65 and sunny was poorly attended. 

Despite some of the best facilities in division one football, the fans are not turning out. Youngstown has a complete indoor practice facility, convenient athletic quarters, and top-notch competition in the Missouri Valley conference, but the fans want to see Ohio State and Penn State. "

Same problems as us. There is no rabid fan base clamoring for a match-up between UA and YSU. 

It’s quite a problem for UA and the MAC in general. UA-YSU seems like a natural rivalry, but it does not seem that this would move the needle for attendance or money that UA desperately needs. The MAC has always been an afterthought, especially for football. Playing in the shadow of the Big 10 (18) is always going to relegate the conference to the back burner.  Successful Toledo only drew about 19,000 at home in 2023. That's about the upper limit of support. It's more than just the big money of the big conferences.  The populations of Akron and Youngstown are in decline generally, and enrollment is down or stagnant on both campuses and in most of the MAC. OU, Eastern Michigan, Toledo - all losing students.  Sadly, you could fit every active student on all three campuses into their respective stadiums and still have thousands of empty seats. Whether we like it or not, UA and 50-60 current "D-1" programs are going to be "demoted" in the coming years either officially by creation of a new NCAA subdivision or de facto by being exiled further into the wilderness of economic realities. Even the blood  money games (a la Ohio State in 2024) will be harder to schedule as the Power 4 (2) expands and monopolizes TV revenue.  Those paydays are going to be few and far between in a few years.  Then what?  Increase student fees on a campus] with fewer than 12,000 undergraduates? Not a solution.

8 hours ago, UA1996MAENG said:

It’s quite a problem for UA and the MAC in general. UA-YSU seems like a natural rivalry, but it does not seem that this would move the needle for attendance or money that UA desperately needs. The MAC has always been an afterthought, especially for football. Playing in the shadow of the Big 10 (18) is always going to relegate the conference to the back burner.  Successful Toledo only drew about 19,000 at home in 2023. That's about the upper limit of support. It's more than just the big money of the big conferences.  The populations of Akron and Youngstown are in decline generally, and enrollment is down or stagnant on both campuses and in most of the MAC. OU, Eastern Michigan, Toledo - all losing students.  Sadly, you could fit every active student on all three campuses into their respective stadiums and still have thousands of empty seats. Whether we like it or not, UA and 50-60 current "D-1" programs are going to be "demoted" in the coming years either officially by creation of a new NCAA subdivision or de facto by being exiled further into the wilderness of economic realities. Even the blood  money games (a la Ohio State in 2024) will be harder to schedule as the Power 4 (2) expands and monopolizes TV revenue.  Those paydays are going to be few and far between in a few years.  Then what?  Increase student fees on a campus] with fewer than 12,000 undergraduates? Not a solution.

I'm glad you use quotation marks for demotion. I don't see it as a demotion even though some may see it as such. I see it more as a rationalization. 

It is true the P5 schools will get more money from TV. It is also true TV networks need to fill game slots, unless they just extend games to five hours....  I wouldn't put that out of the world of reality. Anyhow it's critical for G5 schools to come together and create their own division with a commissioner for football. The numbers will give them leverage to negotiate TV and games against P5 schools. For example, instead of playing three games for three million dollars, the G5 schools could get one game for four million dollars. The P5 schools can and will pay the extra money because they will be raking it in. 

On 11/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, LZIp said:

I guess this means we are replacing our home game with Kentucky for an ass kicking by OSU. Thats 3 P5's next year (Rutgers and SC as well) and one home OOC game AGAIN...yay. Selling our soul (and chances to turn our program around by getting wins) for money.

I guess we won't learn much from this game. Sep. 7 & 14 should be telling though.

4 MAC games at home followed by 4 on the road?! That has to be a first.

Edited by ZippyRulz

9 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

4 MAC games at home followed by 4 on the road?! That has to be a first.

I don't think we know yet when our home games vs. away games are on the schedule.  They've only let us know who our 4 home opponents and who our 4 away opponents are.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I don't think we know yet when our home games vs. away games are on the schedule.  They've only let us know who are 4 home opponents and who our 4 away opponents are.

ah so, that makes sense... I was looking here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Akron_Zips_football_team?wprov=sfla1

• Like 1