football stadium survey sticks

jcv1

I know most of the property has been purchased. It is either under the name of the State of Ohio or the trustees of the Unoversity of Akron. From what Ihave heard, some of the business owners along Exchange St. are holding out. They are trying to get guarantees to prime locations near the stadium and/or the campus. I haven't heard about ground breaking, but if the dat eof 2009 is to hold true, one can only think the we will see earth being moved on the near future.

I wouldn't be suprised if things are already finalized, or will be in the next month.........Seems to me that tangible construction activities are taking place, and UA is already spending money on this thing. If an opening for the 2009 season is going to happen, we can't wait much longer. I always thought the proper forum to announce this would be at a major U Akron Sporting Event (BB, FB, Soccer). But nothing like that over the summer. Even if they are planning on announcing it at the first FB game, it seems that they must make some things public knowledge, and I've been able to dig up a lot of details so far.

The way the coaches and administrators talk about 2009, the stadium announcement might as well already be made.I'd say since the fall, no one has really had any doubt that the stadium will open that year.On a side note, I spoke tonight with one business owner who had been contacted about a year ago about selling property on Exchange Street across from Pints. They have not heard back since.To me, that means one of three things: the owner was lying (unlikely), that property is no longer necessary or UA is seriously behind schedule.

I don't think there is any question the stadium will be completed for the 2009 season. The announcement is done and I'm not certain what everyone is waiting to hear. All they really need is to award the contract and a ground breaking ceremony.It does not take long to build a stadium because most parts of it can be completed while the foundation and supports are being completed. For example, the next time you go to a Browns or Indians game notice that about every two rows of concrete have a horizontal caulk joint. Those panels were made somewhere else close to the site and brought to the stadium and put in place by a crane. Panels can be poured and stored untill they are needed. You'll notice that the panels also have small 5" x 5" concrete patches in two places where you rest your feet. There are hooks below those patches they hook the crane up to and then patch the hook hole when the panel is set in place.18-24 months will be more than enough time to build it.

I agree. Once we break ground , it won't take much time at all. I just check on Canal Park, which is much smaller than the stadium projected for the University. It took 14 months to complete. So, if all goes well, that date of June 2009, should hold.

You would think they'd have a ground-breaking ceremony or something.Get Proenza and the boys out there with hard hats and silver spades.
I suggested to the University that they hold a "Game Ball Run" from the 50 yard line of the Rubber Bowl to the 50 yard line of the new stadium to kick-off the ground breaking. Former Zips players and fans could participate. I think it would be a fun thing to get the community and former players involved. My guess:1.) It makes too much sense and they won't do itor 2.) Someone @ UA will do it, and take credit50/50 either way.

You would think they'd have a ground-breaking ceremony or something.Get Proenza and the boys out there with hard hats and silver spades.
I suggested to the University that they hold a "Game Ball Run" from the 50 yard line of the Rubber Bowl to the 50 yard line of the new stadium to kick-off the ground breaking. Former Zips players and fans could participate. I think it would be a fun thing to get the community and former players involved. My guess:1.) It makes too much sense and they won't do itor 2.) Someone @ UA will do it, and take credit50/50 either way.
Nice idea.there are a lot of things they can do.The lack of any official ceremony makes me wonder about the whole project.The administration has said very little about the project publicly.I mean, they even had a ground-breaking ceremony for the new Summit County Jail.

Trust me. There will be a very ceremonius ground breaking. Like the Akron City Schools, the gorund breaking usually takes place after the better portion of the area has been cleared.I know this is bass ackwards, but that is the way they do things and I'm sure this will be big news when it happens.

I can't understand why there isn't more pressure by the media to find out what this stadium will look like. The whole project is like something out of area 51...very secretive. Hardly any official news but a lot of hearsay. That concerns me. I really want to like this stadium.

I believe the architects are supposed to have their initial design completed by June 15, right? So we should be seeing some drawings in about a month! I do hope it's not a typical MAC stadium. A complete bowl would be cool, but if not, even if it's enclosed on one end that would be great. A Camden Yards-esque horseshoe.

I would just like to see what it is going to look like.  Any idea when we might see the final plans?
Please be a bowl... Please be a bowl... Please be a bowl...
You mean like this? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/coll...-mult-headlines(see #13) :blink:
I sure hope we DON'T end up with something that looks like that! Please no erector set stadiums. All that looks like to me is a highschool stadium on steroids. I would prefer concrete and brick to aluminun any day.

I sure hope we DON'T end up with something that looks like that! Please no erector set stadiums. All that looks like to me is a highschool stadium on steroids. I would prefer concrete and brick to aluminun any day.
I was thinking the same even before I read Hilltopper's reply. WAY TOO MUCH aluminum!!!

UCF's stadium cost (according to the video) is $55M, about the same as our budget. If you want a 45,000 seat bowl, there will probably be a lot of aluminum involved.My conspiracy theory is that the admin is being quiet about announcements & construction because there are a lot of critics that would raise a big fuss about state tax money being spent at a time when the local economy is slow, people have lost jobs, etc. And a lot of the faculty would rather see the money go toward academics (pay raises for themselves) than to athletics. I prefer the optimistic view that it will be a major asset for economic development of the city, downtown, university park, UA, and also bring tax revenue back to the state.

I agree. It's gonna revitalize the "Zips Strip" around the University Park area all along Exchange into downtown and tie right into the restaurants that have sprung up around Canal Park. The northside of downtown has the Knight Center, 2 hotels, the library, the art museum, the historic district and the new Northside development. The southside is now gonna have both Canal Park and the new Football Stadium. Man, both our downtown and University districts are advancing by leaps and bounds and are simply gorgeous! 15 years ago I remember not wanting to walk alone after dark around either the campus or downtown!!! Our city is actually becoming very "cool!"

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I found in this document:http://www3.uakron.edu/bids/findesignsvsva...mpusprojrfp.docwhere "The University intends to commence construction of the new on-campus stadium no later than September 15, 2007. "Also, the deadline for the Request for Proposal was May, 18th 2007. So, I imagine there is a flurry of activity within UA right now.