Wyoming Viewpoint

GoZips

Dambrot quotes from the Wyoming article ..."You need to put more people in the stands than we're putting in the stands. If we're ever going to take the next step program-wise, we need to fill the arena, otherwise we'll always be a mid-level, mid-level."What'd we have, 2,500 � that's pitiful � If you want free tickets, I'll give you damn free tickets, I don't care. Bring every kid in the world here."It's cheap entertainment. I'll let you in the locker room, I'll sign autographs with you, I'll buy you a hot dog. I'll do anything to fill the arena, except something illegal."I know where the Ohio A&M football fans were ... home watching Pitt/WVU and Missouri/Oklahoma. Figuring out a way to get Akron-area fans out to the JAR when there are so many sports and entertainment opportunities in northeastern Ohio is like :wall: . I wonder if free tickets is about the only way you're going to do it? It'll put butts in seats, sell a few more concessions (doubling the number of concessions staff from 2 to 4 I hope), and POSSIBLY get a few more people to hop on the KD/men's BB bandwagon. It may upset those who have already purchased tickets but why not pack the place with freebies for the first month of the MAC season? Again, what to do ... :wall: ... good product and the place is only half-filled.

I think once the bowl games are over, the JAR attendance will pick up.In the mean time, it sure couldn't hurt to have the current record @ the JAR broadcast on the news with a story about the upcoming game rather than maybe covering the results only. But since there's only life in Cleveland, it'll never happen.

2 thoughts1. Wyoming's beat writer traveled to Akron.2. This would be a good article for Tom Gaffney. Why doesn't Akron draw more? Two decent OOC games this past week drew 2500 people. I know these stories have been written before. Gaffney is a good writer, and I imagine he will have an interesting slant on it.

I like Coach D., butt he is half right/half wrong.Is the BB program good cheap entertainment? Of course. College BB games last only two hours, the seats are close to the floor in almost every seat in the arena and the team is playing well.Shoud they be giving away free tickets? Absolutely not! Never devalue yourself or your players Coach D.! You guys have come too far. Giving away tickets is exactly how Akron stays at a mid level, mid level program. At some point, money has to come in. Akron has spent decades giving away tickets and people expect it. Change expectations.Is the personal touch Coach D. is talking about needed? It is long overdue. I don't know the answer to the following question, but I'd like to know how many public speaking engagements were lined up for KD and JD during the off season? Butch Davis spent the summer speaking almost every day in North Carolina about the football program and trying to sell tickets. Sometimes there were 35 people at the events, sometimes there were 350. The point is they are making the effort to sell the program. The had good crowds for the team even in a bad season.Remember, it's not billboards and newspaper advertisements, it's selling the program to people on a personal level. It is something UofA Marketing has NEVER done and is long overdue.

2 thoughts1. Wyoming's beat writer traveled to Akron.2. This would be a good article for Tom Gaffney. Why doesn't Akron draw more? Two decent OOC games this past week drew 2500 people. I know these stories have been written before. Gaffney is a good writer, and I imagine he will have an interesting slant on it.
Here - I'll write it for Tom Gaffney:The Zips are not drawing big crowds right because:1.) Games meaningful to Ohio State football are being played on TV during the Zips games. No OSU fan is coming to the JAR if OU/Missouri or WVU/Pitt is on TV. And, it seems 95% of local sports fans are compelled to sit on their couch and watch those games rather than watch great Zips basketball in person.2.) The Zips game day basketball experiece is tragic. High Schools do a better job of making their games "an event." My friend went to a Woodridge game the other night. For a buck the kids that came through the door got their face painted, tatoos, signs, hair paint...the works. Same thing that I saw at the Cavs/Celtics game the other night, but on a high school's budget! The Zips do NOTHING like this. 3.) Travis and Joyce gone? Not a factor. No effect on attendance whatsoever. 4.) KD says he'll do "anything" to get butts in the stands. How about beating Western Michigan...Toledo...Miami to get an NCAA berth? Three consecutive times we were the better team in Cleveland, and three consevutive times we've lost. Like it or not, that has a TREMENDOUS affect on the early-season attendance. If we were coming off an NCAA appearance, and all the local Zips fans had their MAC championship T shirts...hats...their memories of rushing the court and high-5-ing the players at The Q...of getting on ESPN and being covered by the local media...of filling the local sports bar or student center with hundreds of like-minded (for a moment, at least) Zips fanatics for the NCAA tourney game...that's when you're really building a fan base.The NCAA tourney captures the fans imagination and excitement. The Zips basketball team sitting at home in March for the 21st consecutive year doesn't get Joe Akron off his butt to see Wyoming in December.Is the MAC tourney a crap-shoot where anyone can get knocked off? Sure...but K.e.n.t. has won it four times in the last 9 years...and with three different coaches. Winning at The Q IS possible. I've seen it.I DO care if tickets are being given away to Zips games. Why - Because I don't see ANY effort on UA's behalf to get people paying customers to the game. Z-E-R-O. Giving away free tickets to games is the lazy way out. If I saw ANY effort on UA Marketing's behalf to try to fill the arena with paying customers, I would say "hell...give the stupid tickets away." But I don't. No one is even trying. And it bugs me.There is a lot of blame to be spread around if you want to grouse about attendance. Lack of Marketing...poor overall game day experience...tragic concession options...the team's lack of NCAA tourney berths...the OSU machine...it all factors in.But -- Since this Zips team looks very good. And the MAC season is just around the corner, it is all a moot point. Our attendance will grow as the season progresses, and by year's end the JAR will be at, or near capacity. Just as it was last year. And if we can reach the NCAA's in March '08, then you'll see some better early season crowds to watch the 2008 - '09 Zips.There you go, Tom Gaffney. Massage it a bit, and print it.

The problems as I see it...1) Marketing...got to agree with CK on that one. When I have to even remind myself when games are, that's not a good thing. No creativity whatsoever. Why not do what the Cleveland Indians do, and have different themes? Or do giveaways? 2) Students aren't valued. I still say selling off the student section for the biggest non-conference games in years and years in 2006-2007 caused a lot more damage than we give credit for. Your fan base builds up, the students are excited...and you sell their seats to make a little extra money. Not exactly sending the right message...3) We've seen it before...as CK pointed out, Akron's done this before - started the regular season hot, only to get burned when it counted most. NE Ohio sports fans are afraid to latch onto teams for this exact reason. Look at the Indians - the attendance didn't climb until they had almost locked up the division. Even the Cavaliers (although they still sold out) didn't have much of a backing in NE Ohio until the Pistons series. I'm not saying I think this way...but the "they'll just blow it when it matters anyways" attitude certainly exists.

I'm not saying I think this way...but the "they'll just blow it when it matters anyways" attitude certainly exists.
I know that's how I feel about the Browns this yearBack to the subject... how much do you think the weather forecast factored in last night? I know we canceled our after-game plans, but still attended.

4.) KD says he'll do "anything" to get butts in the stands. How about beating Western Michigan...Toledo...Miami to get an NCAA berth? Three consecutive times we were the better team in Cleveland, and three consevutive times we've lost. Like it or not, that has a TREMENDOUS affect on the early-season attendance.
I think you may be right, but I'd like proof. Did WMU, Toledo and Miami have early season increases in ticket sales after their tournament runs?Miami had a big early season crowd (according to my nephew) at the X game earlier in the year, but has that translated into season ticket sales?I like the MAC, but I think that is an indication that there is something wrong with me and not others. Ultimately, is the product the MAC puts on the floor enough for people to spend money on BB or FB tickets? Clearly the answer is no. The MAC is straight Dollar General. Everyone should take a look at UofA's BB schedule...does anyone really get excited about the home OOC games? While the Zips have a better OOC home schedule than last year, they are still shopping in the bakery. Davidson played Duke yesterday in a home game at a sold out Bobcats arena.....they played UNC two or three weeks ago at a sold out Bobcats arena. Davidson gets large crowds in their arena in Davidson and doesn't win the conference every year. These types of games give the perception that Davidson is a big time program and people go to their games because they believe they are a big time program.Some on the board believe the Zips schedule is great as it gets the Zips ready for the MAC. I think just the opposite. The Zips are trying to pile up wins against average teams in the hopes of drawing crowds with a good record. They are now winning and people are not going. They don't go because the team is not perceived as a big time program because they don't play a very good OOC schedule. If Akron wants to win the MAC, they need to grab their balls and schedule tougher teams early in the season, take their lumps and learn from the high level of competition playing the major programs offers. Miami does this every year and they are very competitive come MAC Tournament time with average talent. We learned that last year. Why can't Akron schedule a game against OSU or some other regional major program at the Q early season?You're right though Capt., it is a lot of things. I get very frustrated. Now that I'm further away from it, I'm understanding why I get frustrated and I don't like the reality I see. I'm just glad all I have to do now is buy my way out of not having to watch it.

Who the hell is the S.I.D.? (Sports Information Director) Do you know? I sure do not.Last S.I.D. I knew personally was Ken McDonald.Who ever the S.I.D. is he sure as HELL is not doing his job.Not one TV station even mentioned the game outcome.Only Channel 3 had coverage of the Temple game.Do people even know a game is being played? Where isthe advance pregame press?640 WHLO was pimping Ohio State ( a team they do noteven broadcast, nor does BARF 1350 ).Tips and Tidbits.This was a "bought" game. Akron is not playing Wyomingout there next year. Next game against the CowPokeswill be in Akron in 2009 beginning a home-n-home series.Akron will probably be Gonzaga's next intended victimin the 2008 Battle of Seattle. Not confirmed, rumored.Wyoming prides themselves on being masters of the dunk.Prior to last night's game Wyoming had yielded just .8 dunksper game. No more than one dunk to each of four teamsthat managed to dunk on them.Wyoming averages 2.2 dunks per contest going into last night.Quade Milum had three dunks and Jeremiah had his monster one handed slam.And, Wyoming, they got one dunk on a put back.

GP1, how much do the big conferences pay you to continually trash the MAC on this board. Have you been to a game lately? The games themselves are exciting and fun to watch, and this team is good. They didn't really show how good until last night.As far as the ticket conversation, I'd be more in favor of something that allows you to get more for your money rather than a straight giveaway. My first choice would be a "kids get in free" deal or something like that. Get the parents to bring their kids in, and let them see that they actually have a good time there. Do a couple of those and maybe mix in a general 2-for-1 ticket deal.

GP1, how much do the big conferences pay you to continually trash the MAC on this board. Have you been to a game lately? The games themselves are exciting and fun to watch, and this team is good. They didn't really show how good until last night.
I think if you reread my two posts above, I agree with you that there is good competition in the MAC and I like it. Most people don't. If they did, more people would go. I also encouraged KD not to encourage free tickets as the team is good and has come a long way.The MAC is it's own worst enemy right now for many, many reasons. The near future, unfortunatel, does not look good for the league in any sport.

Everyone should take a look at UofA's BB schedule...does anyone really get excited about the home OOC games? While the Zips have a better OOC home schedule than last year, they are still shopping in the bakery. Davidson played Duke yesterday in a home game at a sold out Bobcats arena.....they played UNC two or three weeks ago at a sold out Bobcats arena. Davidson gets large crowds in their arena in Davidson and doesn't win the conference every year. These types of games give the perception that Davidson is a big time program and people go to their games because they believe they are a big time program.GP do you really think that Duke or UNC are going to play at the Jar? What, they would give us a 1 for 2 or 3? :rolleyes: Some on the board believe the Zips schedule is great as it gets the Zips ready for the MAC. I think just the opposite. The Zips are trying to pile up wins against average teams in the hopes of drawing crowds with a good record. They are now winning and people are not going. They don't go because the team is not perceived as a big time program because they don't play a very good OOC schedule. If Akron wants to win the MAC, they need to grab their balls and schedule tougher teams early in the season, take their lumps and learn from the high level of competition playing the major programs offers. Miami does this every year and they are very competitive come MAC Tournament time with average talent. We learned that last year. Why can't Akron schedule a game against OSU or some other regional major program at the Q early season?Again basically an away game for the Zips. You're right though Capt., it is a lot of things. I get very frustrated. Now that I'm further away from it, I'm understanding why I get frustrated and I don't like the reality I see. I'm just glad all I have to do now is buy my way out of not having to watch it.
Thanks for your support :wave:

Everyone should take a look at UofA's BB schedule...does anyone really get excited about the home OOC games? While the Zips have a better OOC home schedule than last year, they are still shopping in the bakery. Davidson played Duke yesterday in a home game at a sold out Bobcats arena.....they played UNC two or three weeks ago at a sold out Bobcats arena. Davidson gets large crowds in their arena in Davidson and doesn't win the conference every year. These types of games give the perception that Davidson is a big time program and people go to their games because they believe they are a big time program.GP do you really think that Duke or UNC are going to play at the Jar? What, they would give us a 1 for 2 or 3? :rolleyes: Some on the board believe the Zips schedule is great as it gets the Zips ready for the MAC. I think just the opposite. The Zips are trying to pile up wins against average teams in the hopes of drawing crowds with a good record. They are now winning and people are not going. They don't go because the team is not perceived as a big time program because they don't play a very good OOC schedule. If Akron wants to win the MAC, they need to grab their balls and schedule tougher teams early in the season, take their lumps and learn from the high level of competition playing the major programs offers. Miami does this every year and they are very competitive come MAC Tournament time with average talent. We learned that last year. Why can't Akron schedule a game against OSU or some other regional major program at the Q early season?Again basically an away game for the Zips. You're right though Capt., it is a lot of things. I get very frustrated. Now that I'm further away from it, I'm understanding why I get frustrated and I don't like the reality I see. I'm just glad all I have to do now is buy my way out of not having to watch it.
Thanks for your support :wave:
I think Akron could get a big time program to play them the Q. UNC came to the Convocation Center, or whatever they call it now, a couple of years ago. The place was packed. The purpose of playing the major programs early is to prepare the team for high level competition. While Davidson lost a close game to Duke yesterday, they are now better prepared for their conference play than they would be had they played a cupcake.If a mid major wants respect, they need to do these things.

Take KDs comments for what they are worth. I am sure he is being somewhat sarcastic about giving away tickets, buying hot dogs, etc. I view the comments as a shot across the bow to the Akron community and alumni that the lethargic support and constant excuses for not showing up are getting old! TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED PEOPLE IS PATHETIC.

Take KDs comments for what they are worth. I am sure he is being somewhat sarcastic about giving away tickets, buying hot dogs, etc. I view the comments as a shot across the bow to the Akron community and alumni that the lethargic support and constant excuses for not showing up are getting old! TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED PEOPLE IS PATHETIC.
Thanks for saying it. A lot of us are thinking it. Stop making excuses and show up. Or are we supposed to somehow schedule the entire SEC, ACC and BIG 11 to come into the JAR every non-conference season to get the city's interest. Give me a break, these people asking for this would be the same ones asking why we get beaten handily in all of our home games. Enough excuses.

Historically, the numbers tend to be a little weak around the holidays, and then pick up again when conference play starts in January. Plus, by that time, there is nothing else going on. Those games right around Christmas could really end up being embarrassing in terms of attendance. The departure of Dru and Romeo surely has an impact. If nothing else, some of the locals that may have followed them in high school became pseudo-Akron fans during that period of time to see them play in college. How big the effect will be is yet to be seen.Crowds of 2,500 against quality opponents like Temple and Wyoming does not send a positive signal for where attendance is headed this year. The lack of interest is obvious, and I sure hope that changes. I'm thinking that the "talk" of a new basketball arena will probably die off again if this trend continues. GP....I'm totally in agreement with you on scheduling

First, the Beacon Journal doesn't seem to promote any Akron sports team outside of high school. The "long gone" Terry Pluto replied to an email of mine that he rarely got feedback on articles he wrote about the Zips ... so there must be no interest in them.Second, I strongly feel that "free tickets" is NOT the answer, and will only encourage the Athletic Department to continue to take the easy or lazy approach to attendance in any sport be it football, basketball, or soccer. I could be wrong but part of the reason the JAR looks so empty is that "free tickets" in the lower reserved section are given to business sponsors in the community and they are rarely used. I know that in the past sometimes I got "free tickets" (four of them) from Skye Bank, and when I didn't get them the seats were usually empty. If you are given "free tickets" it is all too easy for the sponsor to forget about a game because they had a hard time finding someone to give the tickets to. Also if you get "free tickets" it is too easy to blow off a game because it's Aunt Millie's Birthday, and the tikets didn't cost you anything. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Ahem. What a load of crap about Davidson and their games against Duke and North Carolina. Davidson's nickname is the Wildcats. Davidson plays their home games in Belk Arena (capacity 5,700) located in Davidson, NC. Bobcat Arena is in Charlotte is technically a neutral site not unlike the "Q" in Cleveland.Now I am not privvy as to whose "home" game these were. Does it really matter? What it amounts to is a "home" game for either Duke or UNC because both have a farlarger fan base than does Davidson. Sound familiar? This is similar to the Zips having a "home" game in the "Q" against Ohio State. A sea of red at your home game.A nice loss, everyone goes home happy (do they really?). Ohio State gets a huge boost in fan support for taking their show on the road. Bullship.The 2007-08 Sporting News College Basketball issue lists both these games as home games for Duke and UNC.Coach Dambrot has it right. Schedule mid majors and willing major-majors home-n-home. Yield a two for one when really necessary. But, only for a high profile major.To clear up some creeping nonsense, North Carolina did play Cleveland State at the Convo Center a few years back. But, there is a twist to this. UNC was originallyscheduled to play Akron in the JAR. After the schedule was set Roy Williams became the new head coach at UNC, his staff promptly convinced him that playing a roadgame against a team with a #237 RPI was a lot safer than playing a #65 RPI opponent in a band box (see the days of John Wooden). CSU got their brains (if they have any) beat out three times. Akron scheduling suffers from success. The JAR is a pit. The fans are right on top of the players. Twenty-five hundred fans in the JAR is more than enough to sound deafening. Ask the Wyoming head coach. He said as much on his post game radio show. Forty-three and two and you want to take your high profile mid or high majorinto that place? Are you serious? Is your coaching resume up to date?I know for a fact that at least two high profile coaches that had boasted they would "play anybody, any where, any time" refused to schedule the Zips. Tommy "gutless"Izzo are you listening? Ask Stan Joplin about high profile OOC games. He now admits that such scheduling was a serious mistake. His young team got more shell shock than toughening.As for those of you who think they can put together a better schedule, stop by and offer your services to coach McFadden. He will welcome your host of inside contactsand "pull". Lord knows coach Rick has busted his butt hustling up opponents.

To clear up some creeping nonsense, North Carolina did play Cleveland State at the Convo Center a few years back. But, there is a twist to this. UNC was originally scheduled to play Akron in the JAR. After the schedule was set Roy Williams became the new head coach at UNC, his staff promptly convinced him that playing a road game against a team with a #237 RPI was a lot safer than playing a #65 RPI opponent in a band box (see the days of John Wooden).
Also -- The reason UNC came to NE Ohio wasn't because CSU had some whiz-bang, schedule-making God. UNC makes a deal with any recruit they sign, ensuring UNC will play a game in the kid's home town, in front of his friends and family, at some point during the kid's 4 year stay. Jawad Williams was from Cleveland, so UNC played @ CSU. Go Zips is correct -- It was originally scheduled to be Akron. Jerome Lane had the same arrangement back in the mid-80's, which is why Pitt came to Akron (Richfield).

To clear up some creeping nonsense, North Carolina did play Cleveland State at the Convo Center a few years back. But, there is a twist to this. UNC was originally scheduled to play Akron in the JAR. After the schedule was set Roy Williams became the new head coach at UNC, his staff promptly convinced him that playing a road game against a team with a #237 RPI was a lot safer than playing a #65 RPI opponent in a band box (see the days of John Wooden).
Also -- The reason UNC came to NE Ohio wasn't because CSU had some whiz-bang, schedule-making God. UNC makes a deal with any recruit they sign, ensuring UNC will play a game in the kid's home town, in front of his friends and family, at some point during the kid's 4 year stay. Jawad Williams was from Cleveland, so UNC played @ CSU. Go Zips is correct -- It was originally scheduled to be Akron. Jerome Lane had the same arrangement back in the mid-80's, which is why Pitt came to Akron (Richfield).
I've never heard of that before...sounds like a great idea and a value-added when it comes to recruiting.By the way, I was at that Akron-Pitt game at the Coliseum. That would have been 1987-88 season. I was living in Brecksville, where it took about 10 minutes to get from my apartment to my seat at the Coliseum. I can't remember how many were there...I'm thinking about 10 k...am I wrong? I do remember having a lot of fun!

Akron scheduling suffers from success. The JAR is a pit. The fans are right on top of the players. Twenty-five hundred fans in the JAR is more than enough to sound deafening. Ask the Wyoming head coach. He said as much on his post game radio show. Forty-three and two and you want to take your high profile mid or high majorinto that place? Are you serious? Is your coaching resume up to date?You are right Go ZipsAs for those of you who think they can put together a better schedule, stop by and offer your services to coach McFadden. He will welcome your host of inside contactsand "pull". Lord knows coach Rick has busted his butt hustling up opponents.
How about it GP?

Another thing to keep in mind about UNC coming to the CSU Convo -- The Convo usually hosts a first/second round NCAA tournament games. Not sure if they were hosting that year or not, but I'm sure that was another reason behind it. But...either way, UA will never get a NC or Duke or UCLA to play in the JAR. Yes, maybe at the Q or the Convo.I have been at every home game this year and have been thoughorally disappointed at the attendence. I mean, come on! Walking in at 630 and it was like I was going to a co-worker's mother-in-law's calling hours. Dark and cold and like no one wanted to be there. (Including concession stand workers, which is the least of UA's trouble).Why not pep things up a little bit? I mean, the Athletic Dept obviously spent some money on that cool video that is shown before the Zips come out. Why not dim the lights - Get some explosives (like the Cant game last year) - Maybe more T-Shirt tosses or mini ball tosses. I am sure that you could get some local companies outside of Time Warner Cable to sponsor something like that in exchange from some tickets for their employees.That being said, I look at Temple, which is probably the biggest name on the OOC sked this year, and the attendence, and then I look at the remaining game before the first of the year and the start of MAC play -- I hopped in Doc Brown's DeLorean and this is what I've found...Dec 8, 7 pm - N Carolina Central - Attendence -- 1,891Dec 19, 7 pm - N Carolina A&T - Attendence -- 1,750 (Many people thought that the two teams just played each other 11 days ago, and the students are still studying for finals)Dec 21, 8 pm - Youngstown St - Attendence - 3,200 - Reason - Dambrot offers free hot coccoa, but many show up after an internet rumor surfaces that Jim Tressel is coming to the JAR to watch his old school before hopping a flight on the DeLorean to New Orleans.Dec 29, 7 pm - UCI - Attendence - 2,100 - 2,000 show up just to see what UCI stands for, thinking it was CBS's latest CSI show and a William Peterson sighting.