Devoe Torrence...

Massillion Washington RB Devoe Torrence was informed that OSU was pulling thier offer to him. I know he turned down all the other schools on the top of his list and they went out an got verbals from other players in that position. I noticed and have heard from a few people who are involved in the Massillion athletics that Akron was one of his top 6 schools. Below is the list of schools who have extended offers that he previously turned down, and the player they signed in his position.Cincy: Jared Rains RB 5-10 181 4.49 Aliquippa , PA Darrin Williams RB 5-6 156 4.4 Detroit, MI George Winn RB 5-10 175 N/A 5 Southfield, MI Michigan:Mike Cox RB 6-0 203 4.5 Avon, CT Sam McGuffie RB 6-0 188 4.32 Cypress, TX Michigan St:Caulton Ray RB 5-9 185 4.47 Birmingham, MI Ohio State:Jermil Martin RB 6-1 230 N/A Cleveland, OH Lamaar Thomas 5-11 181 4.4 Fort Washington, MD Pitt:Chris Burns RB 5-10 185 4.44 New Wilmington, PA Cameron Saddler RB 5-6 157 4.4 Monroeville, PA Purdue:Albert Evans RB 6-1 190 4.5 Portage, IN Akron:Troy Gilmer RB 6-1 203 4.5 Huber Heights, OH Norman Shuford RB 5-8 165 4.4 Farmington Hills, MI Could the Zips Possibly land this kid? Would JD be willing to take a chance on a kid who may be in some pretty deep water Legally ( i cant say for what because the investigation is pending and he hasent been charged yet)?

I guess it would depend on this legal issue. If OSU went as far as pulling a scholarship, I am guessing it is a serious offense. I don't think we need to go after someone with serious legal problems. If this is something on the minor side, like an underage drinking offense, I think Akron would have to evaluate if it was out of character or if this kid is not Akron material.

Let's say it is an isolated incedent and we have a scholarship available.Do you think it would help with local recruiting because we offered a kid that The Ohio State Penitentiary rescinded on? I mean could this be the positive impact in the local area that we are looking for? You know if we offer Devoe he is going to go back and talk to other players saying Akron swooped in and offered after those 'you know whats' from Columbus took the offer off the table.just a thought.

Could the Zips Possibly land this kid? Would JD be willing to take a chance on a kid who may be in some pretty deep water Legally ( i cant say for what because the investigation is pending and he hasent been charged yet)?
He sounds like Toledo material to me?
Ouch. Comment noted. Just try to get more of your commits to be eligible this year.

Could the Zips Possibly land this kid? Would JD be willing to take a chance on a kid who may be in some pretty deep water Legally ( i cant say for what because the investigation is pending and he hasent been charged yet)?
He sounds like Toledo material to me?
Ouch. Comment noted. Just try to get more of your commits to be eligible this year.
Let's be real here. The rumors are that his troubles involve underaged girls and are very serious. We absolutely do not need that influence on this team. We should have learned our lessons by now. Say what you want about Tressel, he has been burned and has responded by being consistently cautious about potential problems. We should do the same.

The allegations I've heard are extremely serious. I've heard the girls were extremely underaged - not just your typical jailbait, 'Oh my gosh, she said she was 18' kinds of girls. From what I've heard it involved middle school girls. We don't need someone like that anywhere near a Zips uniform.

With all of the trouble we have had with eligibility, the only brush with the law that I can think of was Igor beating up the kid in the dorm.
zipboy picks up onto something interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't ever remember picking up the paper and reading a lot of stories about Zips getting into off field problems with the law, or even one story for that matter. ONE kid gets into a fight in a dorm his freshman year, two years ago, and all of the sudden the team is over run with criminals? I just don't understand this thinking.

The allegations I've heard are extremely serious. I've heard the girls were extremely underaged - not just your typical jailbait, 'Oh my gosh, she said she was 18' kinds of girls. From what I've heard it involved middle school girls. We don't need someone like that anywhere near a Zips uniform.
11 & 12 year olds are what I am hearing.

This sounds like an easy decision. This kid is not The University of Akron material. Our programs standards are higher than this. We do not need to take anyone who happens to be talented at football. Our staff has done a good job of being more selective and this is not the type of athlete we need. Let him be headlines some where else.

This sounds like an easy decision. This kid is not The University of Akron material. Our programs standards are higher than this. We do not need to take anyone who happens to be talented at football. Our staff has done a good job of being more selective and this is not the type of athlete we need. Let him be headlines some where else.
:D DAH...