Football Predictions

It's getting to be that time of year where there is absolutely nothing going on in the college sports world. School is out, classes are over. What's a Zips fan to do? Why, speculate this year's results based on incomplete knowlege and an overflowing sense of optimism, of course!I'm going to break down the schedule game by game and give some possible scenarios. The trouble being which QB will be starting for us.Week 1 (Saturday, Aug. 30) - @Wisconsin: Yeah, we're not going to win this one. Jacq will likely be the starting QB in this game. I'll be satisfied with a close, competitive game.Week 2 (Saturday, Sep. 6) - @Syracuse: I think we can win this one. Syracuse is a terrible football team, and we could even be favored if we have a nice showing in Madison the week before.Week 3 (Saturday, Sep. 13) - Ball State: This one is at home, but Ball State is a tough team. It's a toss-up at this point.Week 4 (Saturday, Sep. 20) - @Army: This had better be a win. Losing this one means that it could be time for us to start looking for a new coach to open the new stadium.Week 5 (Saturday, Sep. 27) - Cincinnati: This is the biggest game on the schedule, and our best chance for a near sellout. Cinci wasn't able to get their QB a 6th year of eligibility, so that works in our favor. A good crowd will get us a win. A bad crowd, and the whole sports marketing department should be fired.Week 6 (Saturday, Oct, 4) - @Can't State: This depends entirely on whether we can figure out how to stop a running QB. It was our biggest achilles' heel on defense last year, and it was caused by our stupid 3-3-5 scheme. I think we can win, though, since Ryan Bain can finally get us some pressure on their QB.Week 7 (Saturday, Oct. 11) - Bowling Green: BG is another high-powered offense that we have to handle. I say we will win this since it is at home.Week 8 (Saturday, Oct. 18) - @Eastern Michigan: EMU has improved, and are no longer the basement dweller of the MAC West. This is a likely loss.Week 9 (Saturday, Oct. 25) - Bye WeekWeek 10 (Saturday, Nov. 1) - Second Bye Week. This is stupid. I hope they don't get rusty. After starting the first eight weeks getting into a rythm of playing saturday games, the final four games are completely scrambled. We play weekday games that aren't even on TV. There is no point to scheduling this way. It offers us nothing but crappy attendance and a terrible way to close out our stay in a terrible stadium.Week 11 (Wednesday, Nov. 5) - Toledo: Toledo is a semi-rivalry game. It is on ESPN2/ESPNU, which means that attendance will be low. We can win this one, after resting for two and a half weeks, and the Rockets aren't as good as they used to be.Week 12 (Thursday, Nov. 12) - Buffalo: This is the final game at the Rubber Bowl, and the MAC gives us Buffalo on a Thursday night, on ESPNU. This is another should-win. The RB should be sold out, and if not, then the marketing team that we hired to replace the ones that will screw up the Cinci game will also have to be fired. Find a way to sell it out. Give away tickets for free, profits and NCAA attendance reporting protocols be damned.Week 13 (Saturday, Nov. 22) - @Ohio: I don't think we will win this one. Ohio should be the East favorite this year. They will be wanting revenge after we destroyed their bowl hopes last year.Week 14 (Friday, Nov. 28) - @Temple: Temple is getting tougher. I don't think they lost a single player from last year's team. We should be hungry for revenge after last year's debacle, and we should still be in the hunt for the East title, since all MAC games count the same now. I'll put this down as a win.Our record could realistically range anywhere from 4-8 (3-5) to 9-3 (6-2) this year. I think that Akron is the dark horse in the MAC East. There are too many unknowns. The media has us ranging all over the place, from first to last in the MAC. Nobody can put their finger on where we should end up. I think we will suprise some people this year. We desperately need a good, winning season so we can generate interest for our new stadium.So, what do you guys predict will happen this year?

Wisconsin: Big loss for the Zips. The Badgers are consistently one of the most underrated teams in the BCS. They get overlooked in the Big 11 because of teams like Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, but they are always a top 25 team. I'd be happy if the Zips can keep this one reasonable. 0-1Syracuse: Chance for another road BCS win against a crummy low level BCS opponent. Let's face it. Syracuse stinks. If the Zips don't get too rattled in Madison and they've got a little pep in their step they could come in and take this one. I'll be optimistic and call a win. 1-1.Ball State: Arguably the best team in the MAC headed into this year. That program has really turned around and they have a really great QB out there. Even being at home I don't expect much from this game. Zips lose. 1-2.Army: Call it paranoia from that debacle at the Rubber Bowl a few years ago in the rain, but I hate playing Army. They might not be the powerhouse they once were, but they are a proud bunch of guys who play hard. The Zips could easily lose this one if they take it for granted. Still, I'll be optimistic again and call a Zips win. 2-2.Cincinnati: I know a lot of people will look for this to be a winnable game for the Zips. We're at home and Cincy doesn't have a great football tradition. However, Brian Kelly really has that program on the right track. The only glimmer of hope I see for the Zips here is the fact that Cincy is trying to replace their starting QB and we all know how difficult a job that can be. Still, Cincy has a lot of firepower. Zips lose. 2-3.Can't State: Throw a coin in the air. You'll have just as much luck predicting the outcome of this one. Rivalry game. On the road. Two teams that are in about the same place to be honest. Who knows what happens here. I hate to do it, but I give Can't the edge based on them being at home. 2-4.Bowling Green: Another one of the expected top programs in the MAC heading into this year. They seemed to turn their fortunes around some last year and are once again headed in the right direction. It pains me to keep doing this, but BG wins. 2-5.EMU: The perenial doormat of the MAC. EMU is improving, but they still aren't a good team. The Zips outta be able to handle this one. 3-5.Bye Week: Bye is a tough matchup for the Zips. They always seem to give us a hard time. Still I think we pull this one out. 3-5.Toledo: Which direction is this program going? For a long time they were the class of the MAC, but they have tailed off bigtime. Zips are at home for this one and coming off of a long rest I like our chances. Zips win. 4-5.Buffalo: A couple years ago you could chalk this one up as a win (even though Buffalo usually gave us fits you could count on them collapsing in the end). Not anymore. Turner Gill is one of the top young coaches in D-I and this program is on the rise. This team can give us fits. I expect a loss here actually. 4-6.Ohio: I can never figure out this program. If they don't look good and I expect us to win they seem to step it up and beat us. If they look good and I expect us to lose they seem to lay an egg. Losing McRae hurts them some and I think it gives us a window of opportunity. I'll get optimistic again and call a Zips win. 5-6.Temple: Another program very similar to Buffalo in that it's on the rise. We should have a chip on our shoulders from last year, but at 5-6 and most likely out of contention for any MACC or Bowl bid will the Zips show up to play spoiler? I say they do and come in and give Temple a little payback. 6-6.So there you have it. 6-6 with wins over Syracuse, Army, EMU, Toledo, Ohio and Temple. Nice way to finish the season with 2 wins and a little bit of hope headed into Infocision.

Here is the most accurate prediction you will ever see...Akron will lose a game and somewhere and 51% of this board will call for JD's head, and say "insert starting QB" is the worst thing to ever touch a football.thenAkron will win, and somewhere around 51% of this board will say JD is a miracle worker, and that "insert starting QB" is just warming up.thenThe season will be over, and 50% of the board will blame the offense and the other 50% will blame the defense.

My prediction:5-7, 3 straight losing seasons coupled with our Academic woes, and Mack Rhoades cleans house before the first snow hits the ground of the Rubber City. I hope I'm wrong, but thats my realistic assessment. JD could've been a good coach here and he stepped into a great opportunity with the new facilities, but he really screwed himself by trying to take shortcuts to win in his first 2-3 years. He looks like he's learned his lesson now and is trying to do things right, but that's not going to show this year and Mack is going to have very little patience for a coach coming off 3 losing seasons and heading into a shiny new stadium where the community needs to be excited. The only way to get that excitement will be to bring in a new coach, and since Mack isn't the AD who hired JD he probably wants his own guy anyways. I know there's a lot of JD fans on this board, and I was one initially when he was winning with Lee O's recruits, but his horrible mismanagement of the future of the program during those years, which we're seeing the effects of now, turned me into a hardcore doubter. Hopefully he can regain my support with a surprising season this year and save his job.

I don't think we will suck forever. In fact, I think there is enough talent on the team to win 6-7 games next year. For a MAC school to win 6-7 games almost guarantees a bowl game. Looking beyond Akron, the landscape of college football has changed to the point that a MAC school winning 6-7 games is a good season. I don't know all the records from last season, but I think only four MAC schools finished with 50% or better records. That's only around 30% of the teams. Last season, 6-6 put Miami in the MACC. As low aiming as it is, we need to shoot for 6 wins and see where that gets us.Some of you worry about the GPA and various other things that are secondary to winning. The truth is there is a lot of talent on the Zips. If they can get some good QB play and better play calling, they can win 6-7 and go to a bowl. I think JD kept the wrong people around after last year that will kill the good play calling part and he will pay for it this upcoming season. I don't wish the guy ill, but I do think changes were in order after last season and they were not made. I've said before that some really good coaches would rather be right than win and we are going to see that in action next season.Oh well, at least I don't have to watch it anymore. Reading about it will be bad enough.

• 1 month later...

Sooo... back on topic, Here's the groupings of games on our schedule.Sure loss: @WisconsinLikely loss: Cincinnati, @Ohio, @EMU, @TempleToss-up: @Syracuse, Ball state, Bowling Green, @Can't StateLikely win: @Army, Toledo, BuffaloThat puts us anywhere from 3-9 in a complete disaster to 8-4 if we pull off an upset or two. It depends almost entirely on the receivers producing and the secondary playing well.

Boldface 2 me are toss ups!Week 1 (Saturday, Aug. 30) - @Wisconsin: L - I am hoping this is competitive but I think Wisky is out to prove they can win the B10 AND since we played them tough last time they won't take us lightly.Week 2 (Saturday, Sep. 6) - @Syracuse: W/L - They were terrible last year, but they didn't have their sensational running back Akron's own Delone Carter. I have read that he is healthy and hungry. Week 3 (Saturday, Sep. 13) - Ball State: L - This is a loss Ball State is good!Week 4 (Saturday, Sep. 20) - @Army: W - This will be a win period.Week 5 (Saturday, Sep. 27) - Cincinnati: L - They finished 3rd in a conference a lot of us wanna be in.Week 6 (Saturday, Oct. 4) - Can't: L - It's at there place and we usually trade wins and losses. Week 7 (Saturday, Oct. 11) - Bowling Green: W - We always win one we shouldn't and this will be it!!!Week 8 (Saturday, Oct. 18) - @Eastern Michigan: W- I don't understand why some of you think they are not the basement dweller of the MAC, they had 4 wins last year. NIU=terrible, Howard=terrible, western michigan= lucky, CMU=last game of season, resting players for the MAC Championship game.Week 9 (Saturday, Oct. 25) - Bye WeekWeek 10 (Saturday, Nov. 1) - Second Bye Week. This is stupid. but we may need it if we are banged up or are on the cusp of having a Week 11 (Wednesday, Nov. 5) - Toledo: W With 2 weeks to prepare this better be a win!!!! Week 12 (Thursday, Nov. 12) - Buffalo: This should be a win, it should of been a win last year.Week 13 (Saturday, Nov. 22) - @Ohio: This will be a battle with us losing a close one.Week 14 (Friday, Nov. 28) - @Temple: We had these punks beat last year, we should win it this year.If we can split the toss ups. Then we should be 5-7 bye bye JD! sorry.

OK here goes... from the gut:Wisconsin15% probability of winning - Alvarez should be investigated for illegally influencing officials. They do not call Camp Randall 'Camp Ripoff' for nothing. We do have a shot - remember the apparent Hendry go ahead TD in 2003.SyracuseOne of the most interesting games on the schedule. We have a 50% chance of winning even though this an away game in a new venue. Not sure why this game is not on local TV.Testicle Tech A home game against the pre-season MAC power. We have a 45% chance of winning. I don't care who you are, when you come into the Rubber Bowl we have a shot at you.ArmyI love the Service Academies. The tradition is great. We have a 70% chance of winning this one, despite the away venue.CincinnatiFantastic game (thanks Mike Thomas). If you are even casually interested in Akron football, you should attend this one. Look for a hard hitting game. The Zips have a 40% chance of winning this one.Can'tWe had better not lay an egg like we did two years ago. 50% chance of winning.BGWe tend to play BG tough at home - 55% chance of winning.EasternWe have got to beat this team - 65% chance of winning.ToledoToledo is in shambles. We need to get up quick and they should fold. 60% chance of winning.BuffaloBuffalo always plays us tough, but this is the historic last game at the Rubber Bowl. Will the fans make a difference? 55% chance of winning.OhioWe seem to trade home victories with this team. 45% chance of winning.TempleCould this be a big game for bowl eligibility? 45% chance of winning.Adding up the probabilities, you get 6 wins (rounded). The reason I used this format is to show how we have a good chance of winning (or losing) most of our games (even Wisconsin can be beat). The key is our Offense. JD must get heavily involved as he did when Frye and Getsy were here. I thought I read somewhere (GOZIPS.com?) that Getsy has been brought in as a QB coach (Grad Assistant?) for 2008. Another key - Andrew Johnsen - we need his speed at running back, but is he another Big Nate that will show moments of greatness only to hobble off the field to the trainer. Lastly, our new receivers must get their timing down with our QB's even before the start of Fall practices in August. Should be a very interesting season.Go Zips - cheat them Badgers. Hendry, Hendry, Hendry....

Good logic. I predict the same outcome with different wins and loses.I don't see Can't above, but that will be a win.Wisconsin = LossSU = Win. If we don't win this against a really bad team, it says a lot about us and the MAC.Ball St. = Win. As much as I hate our 3-3-5 defense, it is designed to do well against throwing teams. Can we score though?Army = Win. Same logic as SUCincinnati = Loss. They can win on talent alone.BG = Loss. This will be a loss in a game we should win. Historically, we have one or two a year like this.EMU = WinToledo = Loss. We have trouble against teams that are traditionally good.... Maybe because we are traditionally bad.Buffalo = WinOU = WinTemple = Loss to the team that may win the MAC EastI know what you are all saying, "GP1, you say 5-7 but your schedule shows 6-6". I know, please do not apply logic to the MAC. Akron will inexplicably lose to either Buffalo or OU. Ball St. is too logical of a candidate for us to lose to so I am going with a win. The Syracuse game is really going to set the tone for the year. A win there gets us going, a loss could start the beginning of a really bad year.Either way, get ready for the greatest tradition in the MAC..... Five more years of rebuilding.

• 1 month later...

Modifying my observations a bit based on an additional month's worth of info. By this time next month we'll have a MUCH better picture of how the team stands but it's still speculation season right now, so let's get started.@Wisconsin - On Offense: We will have to win through the air, and that's a problem with unknowns at every position. Unless Dennis Kennedy is back, and Andrew Johnson is as good as advertised, I don't see us scoring bunches of points.On Defense: Can we stop the run? That will determine the outcome more than anything else. PJ Hill is excellent, and he has a solid set of backups. The Badgers have an unknown at QB, with a three-way battle shaping up in camp. It might be good that way, with our secondary getting in a game without being severely tested, while our strengths at the DL and linebacker will be facing most of the attacks.On Special Teams: They lost both their punter and kicker, which bodes very well for our very own nation's top return team with Williams and Jones. Their own return team is pretty good, with their punt returner leading the Big Ten statistically. Igor should be solid, and if we ditch the rugby-punt (PLEASE DITCH THE RUGBY PUNT, COACH!!!), we should have the clear advantage here.Overall: I think we have a slight window for success here, assuming we don't get screwed again. I'll settle for giving them a good scare, but the match ups of their weaknesses versus our strengths at several key points could give us a win, but probably not. This one's a loss, but I will always have hope. Record: 0-1@Syracuse - On Offense: This will be a trench battle, with our experienced O-line against their experienced D-line. Their back seven has one legit player in LB Jake Flaherty, but the rest is a mess. We should rely on the run again, but it should be a bit easier to pass if the pressure is kept off the QB.On Defense: Again, we must stop the run. They have a scrambling QB, which spelled trouble last year, but shouldn't be as big of a problem this year. They have Copley's own Delone Carter, who is coming off of an injury. Again, it's another case of their strengths and weaknesses matching up with ours. Their top WR has been kicked off the team for the season. Pressure the QB, and this should be a cake walk.On Special Teams: They have a great kickoff returner, but their coverage teams are lacking. Most of our points could come from the return game.Overall: This is a game we must win. All the pieces are there to get our second-ever BCS win. It can be done, and it helps that we are being severely overlooked by a team that is likely worse than we are. Record: 1-1Ball State - On Offense: We should be able to burn them on the ground. They gave up over 200 rushing ypg last year, and they lost three starters on the D-line. The passing game just has to work enough to keep them honest.On Defense: Here is the first true test of our secondary, and what a test it will be. Nate Davis is the best QB nobody is talking about. They return all five O-line starters, and they have an excellent receiving corps.On Special Teams: Here is possibly the key to us winning this game, Whenever Ball State scores (and they will score), Williams gets a chance to take one right back. They have one of the nation's best punters, but I don't see him being used that often.Overall: It's a shootout. Davis' offense against William's return team. Any defensive stop we get will be key. Let's hope that with two games under their belt, our secondary is at least serviceable here. I'll say it's a loss, but it may change based on seeing performances against Syracuse. Record: 1-2@Army - On Offense: Army returns only one starter in the defensive back seven (MLB Frank Scappaticci), but makes up for it on the defensive line, which is their biggest strength. It is the first game where we can really see what the passing game can do. With three games behind them, hopefully someone has stepped up.On Defense: Army is slow, and they give up lots of turnovers. But they will show us something our team hasn't played against before: a wishbone offense. We basically need to stop the run.On Special Teams: I can't find anything on them, but I think we hold the advantage here, if last year's game is any indicator.Overall: This is also a must-win game. I don't think we will have too much trouble beyond adapting to the wishbone. Record: 2-2Cincinnati - On Offense: Cinci lacks a pass rush, but they make up for it with a great pair of cornerbacks. They specialize in forcing turnovers, so we'll have to go a little more conservative in this game. They are susceptible to big plays, which Andrew Johnson appears to specialize in.On Defense: It's Brian Kelley's spread offense, which we nearly beat last season with LeFevour at QB, and Cinci doesn't have a QB like that, since it looks increasingly unlikely that Ben Mauk will get a 6th year of eligibility. Still, they have a solid WR corps, so pressure on the QB is the key to this battle.On Special Teams: They have a good punter, but their kicker is terrible. We definitely hold the advantage here.Overall: This is the best chance for a sellout game at the RB this year, due to Cinci's proximity. It's not often we play a BCS team at home. We have a chance here if the crowd gets into it, but a win is not likely here. Record: 2-3Can't State - On Offense: We run the ball right down their throats. No sideways passes, no trick plays that end up in a loss of yards. Just throw/run the ball fowards, and keep pushing.On Defense: Stop Jarvis! Edelman will run as well, and they don't have any standout WRs. With guys like them, we need to get players into the backfield as fast as possible before they disappear.On Special Teams: We win this battle, and our punting is key: trap Jarvis deep, to give us time to get a stop.Overall: We got pretty lucky last year, relying on an endzone interception to win it, but I think we can win this one. Record: 3-3Bowling Green - On Offense: Their Defense is terrible, but they return nine starters, which may or may not be a good thing for us. The plan of attack will depend mostly on whatever BG decides isn't important enough to defend, which is likely going to be the running game.On Defense: Look out. They return almost everyone from an offense that was great last year. Pressuring the QB is critical to stopping them.On Special Teams: The kick return team will be getting a workout in this game. We hold the advantage here.Overall: We play them tough at home. This will be extremely high-scoring, with the outcome decided by field position, which should help us with our great returners. We should win. Record: 4-3@Eastern Michigan - On Offense: They have absolutely no pass-rush, but their secondary is strong, so look for short-yardage passes and an emphasis on the run. They aren't all that good, and we should be fine.On Defense: They have a good dual-threat QB, but not much else. If we can contain him, we can dominate.On Special Teams: Just like we will against everyone else, we will dominate here.Overall: Another must-win game.There is a serious problem if we lose to either EMU, 'Cuse, or Army. Record: 5-3Bye Week #1 - We should come in here on a roll. We will use this week to recover from any injuries.Bye Week #2 - This week should be used to correct any problems with our game plans, and to prepare for the final four games of the regular season.Toledo - On Offense: This looks like another game where the emphasis will be on the running game. They don't have much of a pass rush, so it should allow for the O-line to open up some nice holes.On Defense: Their passing attack is something to watch out for if we can't get pressure on the QB. They have a new RB, and he should be just above average.On Special Teams: They have a great PK guy, and won't hesitate to use him if they are within 40 yards, so turnovers are a must. We hold the edge in the return game, again.Overall: We come into this game rested for two weeks, and we can outscore them. I always like games against Toledo, and this one should be good. Record: 6-3Buffalo - On Offense: Their back seven is weak, so this is a game that can be won with a balanced attack. If we focus too much on one aspect of the attack, we won't fair as well.On Defense: They return most of their offense. It is very balanced, and we had trouble with it last year. Hopefully we have learned how do deal with it.On Special Teams: Once again, advantage: AkronOverall: This is the last game in the Rubber Bowl, and the crowd will be into it. Buffalo had no problem stopping us last year, but hopefully we have a new offensive playbook this time. Revenge will be a factor. Another game we should win. Record 7-3@Ohio - On Offense: We can run right over them. They have a fairly good secondary, but their D-line is bad except for Jameson Hartke. We need to be in shootout mode for this one. They tire out quickly, so the more time we spend on offense, the better chance we have to beat them.On Defense: Kalvin McRae is gone, and they're trying the "QB by committee" approach that got us killed last year. They will focus on the passing game, so we need to pressure the QB. Throw all sorts of weird looks at them, and we should keep them off balance.On Special Teams: McRae was their best player here, too. We got them beat.Overall: We won a shootout last year and ruined their season. They will want revenge, but we can beat them, especially since this game is late in the season, when they traditionally fizzle out. I like our chances. Record: 8-3@Temple - On Offense: Easy, just don't give up turnovers. They return all their starters on defense, but they weren't all that good against us if we didn't screw ourselves over last year.On Defense: Don't collapse in the third quarter. Stop DiMichele; he's injured now but will have plenty of time to recover before we play them.On Special Teams: Don't give up the big return. This is critical. Other than that, we should beat them here.Overall: It's a revenge game. We had it won, but poor play calling killed us. This should be a win. Record: 9-3That does it for the regular season. We finish on a tear and have lots of momentum going into the MAC championship game.This is all assuming that our play calling is competent, and we have at least an average QB. We have the talent, the schedule is fairly favorable, and this is a critical year for the Zips.

UAKid,Excellent game by game review :bow: . I Have a few concerns:1) We don't fare well against anyone except Army and EMU w/o a new QB. Rodgers has to be able to step up.2) Our O line is overrated by most on this board. They are can't drive block. Last year against Temple all we had to do was hold the ball and repeatedly gain short yardage (1-2 yds) to keep a drive alive. They couldn't do it. Until they show they can get nasty and get 1-3 yds when needed we will continue to have problems3) I think we are in for tough times against Toledo and BGSU. Frankly, I don't see us being able to stop BG w/o a change in philospophy or leadership by our D coordinator. I hate the 3-3-5. We have neither the LB's nor DB's to play it and it will cost us games4) Amongst the games with Syracuse, K.E.N.T., Ohio and Temple we will lose one.We enter this season with too many question marks and lots of hopes. All this adds up, to me, to predict a 6-6 season. I hope you are right, though. :cheers: One thing we agree on is :screwks:

It's officially one week until the start of camp. At least this year there's not as many surprises (like Harvey last year). I think some fans are running scared because we don't have any big names. What we do have is a bunch of guys who are team players and fewer guys who think the rules don't apply to them. From what I understand attendance at summer lifting and conditioning has been good. The players are academically sound. There are many positions up for grabs and lots of guys who want to step into them and claim them. While this probably scares the h.. out of many, it excites me. I think we're underrated. Last year many argued that we can't win without the big talent players. They disputed the dismissal of players who were a disruption to the team, were in trouble with academics, or who didn't follow team rules. I expect this team to be a much more dedicated group of guys and to pull together to maybe win some of the close games. There was a pretty funny post about one of the guys from last year not having "heart." This year I hope we see a lot more heart, out of our players and our coaches.

It's officially one week until the start of camp. At least this year there's not as many surprises (like Harvey last year). I think some fans are running scared because we don't have any big names. What we do have is a bunch of guys who are team players and fewer guys who think the rules don't apply to them. From what I understand attendance at summer lifting and conditioning has been good. The players are academically sound. There are many positions up for grabs and lots of guys who want to step into them and claim them. While this probably scares the h.. out of many, it excites me. I think we're underrated. Last year many argued that we can't win without the big talent players. They disputed the dismissal of players who were a disruption to the team, were in trouble with academics, or who didn't follow team rules. I expect this team to be a much more dedicated group of guys and to pull together to maybe win some of the close games. There was a pretty funny post about one of the guys from last year not having "heart." This year I hope we see a lot more heart, out of our players and our coaches.
Excellent point, we don't have any big name players, so yea, I guess I'm one of the people who are concerned. I think this is the first year that I can remember when we didn't have ANY real standout players returning. That isn't to say we wont' make waves, and some outstanding guys won't pop up.....there just aren't any sure bets anywhere. One of the reasons I think I love College athletics over Pro is that there are so many unknowns every season. I don't have very high hopes, so it won't take much for me to be plesantly suprised. I think that on the board the general attitude has been to support the staff when they tell players who are not team players, trouble makers, or don't get the grades to take a hike. I know I don't want our program to be known as a bunch of stupid thugs.

As far as standout players, Andre Jones and Bryan Williams are the best two return guys in the country. Will Fleming will have an instant impact in our back seven (eight?). Almondo Sewell was incredible for a true freshman playing his first season on the D-Line.This team has a lot of "if"s this year. If the BCS transfers live up to the hype, If Dennis Kennedy is really back, If Deryn Bowser becomes an impact WR, If we have a competent QB, If we get better play calling... etc. Even if half of these "If"s go our way, we have enough talent to put together a winning season. The most crucial ones are the QB and the play calling.

This team has a lot of "if"s this year. If the BCS transfers live up to the hype, If Dennis Kennedy is really back, If Deryn Bowser becomes an impact WR, If we have a competent QB, If we get better play calling... etc. Even if half of these "If"s go our way, we have enough talent to put together a winning season. The most crucial ones are the QB and the play calling. :wave: I think this is the most insightful quote I've seen on this topic. We absolutely have got to get a new QB and, unfortunately, play calling on either side of the ball has been piss poor. With a good QB we go 5-7. If we improve in the play calling (Like get new coordinators) we win at least two more games. Beyond that we need better talent to win more games.Honestly, with all the "if's" this team has, I'd be satisfied to see us at 7-5 and would be doing back flips if we go 8-4. Cheers. :)

The schedule may be the most advantageous so far for Brookhart -- however, in the minds of most "experts", Akron will be underdogs in at least the first four games, three of which are on the road. IF, and it's a big IF, Akron can somehow manage to win 2 of those four games (@Wis, @ Cuse, BSU, @Army) then they will shoot up to having a decent shot at at least seven wins -- which is the least needed for a bowl invite (no MAC team will go bowling with six wins again, unless they stumble into a division title while losing all non-con games). Frankly, I think Syracuse and Army are better teams than most on this board admit. Zips were very fortunate to meet Army on their worst Saturday of the 07 season. So, If they are to get off to that strong start, they MUST beat Ball State (the pick of may to win the MACC) at the RB IMO, and manage to come up strong on the road one of the other two weeks. UW is a lost case, where priority one is avoiding season sending injuries.Problem with predicting this season is, I believe the MAC is more difficult than every to figure out. For example, Ohio could finish anywhere from first to last in the East and I wouldn't be terribly surprised. Same with say, NIU in the West. Its a crap shoot, which pretty much describes MAC football at this point. :P